Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 05:12 AM   #16
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 1075
Default Re: Personal Trainer Courses

another thing to ask

does anyone recommend any books (basics) that would be handy to read before i actually start the courses ? it wont be for a couple months i wouldnt have thought due to cash flow but i want to get started and prepared asap!
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2011, 05:18 AM   #17
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 1075
Default Re: Personal Trainer Courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
That's it you need to get the learning and the hands on experience, it's not one or the other.
Before I was at uni I worked at a plumbing supplies place and a guy started working for us who had done one of those eight week fitness courses. I don't know what he learned during that course but he didn't know what a plyometric exercise was, he didn't know anything about muscle fibres, I don't think he knew anything about anything. And this guy was qualified to train someone! From what I gather all he learned was some exercises to do in the gym, he couldn't tell you how many reps to do or anything like that though.
To the OP if you go to a good uni you'll get the knowledge and they'll get you doing industry prac at the same time. I'm doing a sports science degree at the moment and the units include anatomy, physiology, nutrition, psychology, biomechanics, motor learning/neuroscience, injury rehab, resistance training, cardio physiology and so on. It really is quite extensive and there is more to learn in each area than you might think. I think a good coach should have atleast solid knowledge in each area as you need to see and understand the whole picture so going to uni would definitely be the way to go. At my uni we've had to train clients as part of our assessment and complete industry prac which I did at the institute of sport here so it's all valuable stuff to have on your CV, through the uni I've also done strength and conditioning courses and completed a course to become a certified olympic weightlifting coach. When you're choosing your degree make sure it's an accredited course with your national sports science association.
thanks for the advice. I know its one step at a time but a degree in Sports science and ultimately a job in Strength and conditioning for athletes is where i want to be. However the problem is i left school at 16, i work full time and never did any A-levels.

Iv looked into the uni route and it seems its very good for school leavers and alot of help and benifits for Mature students. However being under 25 (23) it seems a bit more vague for me. Iv looked at foundation degrees and the prerequisites are a-levels or a btec course or special consideration for full time workers WHO have displayed an interest in the subject area.

So i came to the conclusion that personal trainer would be a good first step on the road. Maybe im wrong but i cant see or know of a way that Uni is viable to me especially funding wise! Im still in the midst of basically researching everything so i also havnt discounted it.
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #18
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,477
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Personal Trainer Courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
That's it you need to get the learning and the hands on experience, it's not one or the other.
Before I was at uni I worked at a plumbing supplies place and a guy started working for us who had done one of those eight week fitness courses. I don't know what he learned during that course but he didn't know what a plyometric exercise was, he didn't know anything about muscle fibres, I don't think he knew anything about anything. And this guy was qualified to train someone! From what I gather all he learned was some exercises to do in the gym, he couldn't tell you how many reps to do or anything like that though.
To the OP if you go to a good uni you'll get the knowledge and they'll get you doing industry prac at the same time. I'm doing a sports science degree at the moment and the units include anatomy, physiology, nutrition, psychology, biomechanics, motor learning/neuroscience, injury rehab, resistance training, cardio physiology and so on. It really is quite extensive and there is more to learn in each area than you might think. I think a good coach should have atleast solid knowledge in each area as you need to see and understand the whole picture so going to uni would definitely be the way to go. At my uni we've had to train clients as part of our assessment and complete industry prac which I did at the institute of sport here so it's all valuable stuff to have on your CV, through the uni I've also done strength and conditioning courses and completed a course to become a certified olympic weightlifting coach. When you're choosing your degree make sure it's an accredited course with your national sports science association.
I wish i'd have done this!
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #19
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 1075
Default Re: Personal Trainer Courses

Think iv made the first step in the right direction today

I still cant quite believe it but i had an interview today to work in a restaurant and iv been offered the job! But heres the kicker! Its the David Lloyd Restaurant which is a big health and fitness center in the u.k. I mentioned my long term goal of becoming a personal trainer and they were really keen that if i show i can work well there in food and beverage in 6-9 months it will be a definite option for me to do it … and they would fund it if i continued to work for them!

I realise it might not all be sunshine and rainbows and go exactly to plan but im willing to work hard at it and if that means 6 months to a year serving food to get me to where i want to be then thats what i will do! Just the fact that its in a gym i feel the right move!

Oh and free gym membership too
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:50 AM   #20
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,477
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Personal Trainer Courses

Sounds good pal
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #21
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,584
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Personal Trainer Courses

Johnboy where are you Based
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:33 AM   #22
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 1075
Default Re: Personal Trainer Courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Johnboy where are you Based
Ellesmere Port Scrap unfortunatly although its a bit of a dive its located handily really 40 mins on the train to liverpool and a little longer to manchester

, its the cheshire oaks david lloyd
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #23
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 1075
Default Re: Personal Trainer Courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Sounds good pal
Cheers Jeff, ideally full time learning would be best but im going to do my best this way and see how i go. Its going to be a great job but i know i want to be something a bit different to their idea of a personal trainer, but i can only do that once iv walked their way for a bit i guess. Just gotta keep my principles and ideas in my mind!
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:05 AM   #24
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,899
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Personal Trainer Courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post
Cheers Jeff, ideally full time learning would be best but im going to do my best this way and see how i go. Its going to be a great job but i know i want to be something a bit different to their idea of a personal trainer, but i can only do that once iv walked their way for a bit i guess. Just gotta keep my principles and ideas in my mind!
This is what I hated about the course. 80% of what they teach is utter bullshit, but you have to go with the flow until you can do your own thing.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #25
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,584
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Personal Trainer Courses

Virus, how true. I use to go to the Uni invited by the lectures, to Test the Final year students on there Practical assesments on what had been learned. It was Shocking .
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:56 AM   #26
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 1075
Default Re: Personal Trainer Courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
This is what I hated about the course. 80% of what they teach is utter bullshit, but you have to go with the flow until you can do your own thing.
way of the world i guess, i know a personal trainer and hes a good , shall we say motivator for people. But half the stuff he comes out with i dont agree with but whos going to listen to the guy without the piece of paper that says hes "qualified". its a shame but just gotta keep thinking it will serve a greater purpose!
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:57 AM   #27
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 1075
Default Re: Personal Trainer Courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Virus, how true. I use to go to the Uni invited by the lectures, to Test the Final year students on there Practical assesments on what had been learned. It was Shocking .
but did they still get a pass??
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:34 AM   #28
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,584
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Personal Trainer Courses

Yes they did Johnny, pissed me off
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #29
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 1075
Default Re: Personal Trainer Courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Yes they did Johnny, pissed me off
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #30
Olympicdettori
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Personal Trainer Courses

Why do you need to go to school to learn this stuff when you have the internet?

All you need to know is all the muscles in the human body.

Biceps
Triceps
Forearms
Shoulders
Upper Back
Abs/Lower Back
Quads
Hamstrings
Calves
Pecs

Ok slow twitch and fast twitch for the Pacs (the holder of the titles).

What else do you need to know?

Outer/Smaller = Stubborn Muscle?

Actually intensity i.e. 800m?



We live in a world where Stephen Hawking & Brian Greene are the smartest people.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013