Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Hyland
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Developing a group boxing program

Help me out here.

You have 10-15 people in front of you for an hour. They want boxing drills and aerobic boxing workouts. I have an idea, but I'm looking for suggestions to add on and it see from a different perspective which is always better.

How would you develop the routine?

Technically speaking; I understand introducing the stance, foot movement, and punching technique, combinations and defense would be emphasized, but I'm also looking to add and spice it up with some exercise drills that will keep the class busy and sweating.

Thanks guys.
Hyland is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
BoxinScienceUSA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Developing a group boxing program

you're talking about a recreational class, right?

i break the hour into quarters (warmup/tech, boxing conditioning, conditioning, cooldown) and have them:

warm-up/tech
jump rope 3min
dynamic stretching 3min
simple boxing slide drills
2 steps fwd/bck
repeat+jab at top and bottom
repeat steps with 1-2 at top and bottom
repeat steps with 1-2 at top and hook at bottom
repeat steps with 1-2-3-2 at top and 3-4-3 at bottom
(depending on the level consider partner drills)

boxing
3x3min of intervals (10sec turns in groups of two or three per bag)

conditioning
3x3min of strength circuits at 30sec stations (ex. chin ups, onelegsquats, pushups, shoulderpress, otherleg squats, med ball pass, etc)
OR
3x3min of aerobic circuits at 30sec stations (jumpjacks, running in place, mountainclimbers, etc)
OR
3x3min of core circuits at 30sec stations (situps, leg raises,planks, etc)

(mix it up by picking two of the three condition themes every class. depending on the size of the class, break them in half with A group doing boxing intervals and B group doing conditioning circuits for 3rds then switch. have them all come back together for the second common conditioning (abs or aerobic)

cool down
last 10min have them shadowbox for one round, do breathing exercises and stretches. since it's a rec class i have them only hold their stretches for 10 sec, and tell them, "if that area needs more attention then remember to hit it again after class. this is simply an introductino to the stretches. take time after to do extra".

then get feed back, "how was that class? what did you like, what did you not like? this is your class. let me know what works so i can give you the best class possible", then take in their feedback and alter. it doesn't matter where you start, just start somewhere and ask for feedback for the direction to take.

hope that gives you a couple of ideas.
BoxinScienceUSA is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
myboxingcoach
myboxingcoach

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyland View Post
Help me out here.

You have 10-15 people in front of you for an hour. They want boxing drills and aerobic boxing workouts. I have an idea, but I'm looking for suggestions to add on and it see from a different perspective which is always better.

How would you develop the routine?

Technically speaking; I understand introducing the stance, foot movement, and punching technique, combinations and defense would be emphasized, but I'm also looking to add and spice it up with some exercise drills that will keep the class busy and sweating.

Thanks guys.
I suppose a key point is where are the group in relation to boxing. Are they raw recruits or have they been in the gym for a period of time? You are spot on to pick up on the basics, and to be honest my inclination would be to ensure that technical development is front and center.

I wrote an article covering some tips on how to coach a group of boxers using technical sparring (the link is below). If done right this is a brilliant way of developing the basic skills as you go. You can gradually layer skill upon skill and whilst it isn't a lung buster of a workout, you could put aside 10 minutes for a warm-up followed by 20 to 30 minutes tech sparring. This gives you a period of time after this to help develop the stamina and endurance before heading into a conventional boxer's gym session a few weeks in.

The other link below takes you to skills page under which there are a load of videos that may help with the skills layering. I'd be happy to take any questions back here.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do a top job

Fran
myboxingcoach is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxinScienceUSA View Post
you're talking about a recreational class, right?

i break the hour into quarters (warmup/tech, boxing conditioning, conditioning, cooldown) and have them:

warm-up/tech
jump rope 3min
dynamic stretching 3min
simple boxing slide drills
2 steps fwd/bck
repeat+jab at top and bottom
repeat steps with 1-2 at top and bottom
repeat steps with 1-2 at top and hook at bottom
repeat steps with 1-2-3-2 at top and 3-4-3 at bottom
(depending on the level consider partner drills)

boxing
3x3min of intervals (10sec turns in groups of two or three per bag)

conditioning
3x3min of strength circuits at 30sec stations (ex. chin ups, onelegsquats, pushups, shoulderpress, otherleg squats, med ball pass, etc)
OR
3x3min of aerobic circuits at 30sec stations (jumpjacks, running in place, mountainclimbers, etc)
OR
3x3min of core circuits at 30sec stations (situps, leg raises,planks, etc)

(mix it up by picking two of the three condition themes every class. depending on the size of the class, break them in half with A group doing boxing intervals and B group doing conditioning circuits for 3rds then switch. have them all come back together for the second common conditioning (abs or aerobic)

cool down
last 10min have them shadowbox for one round, do breathing exercises and stretches. since it's a rec class i have them only hold their stretches for 10 sec, and tell them, "if that area needs more attention then remember to hit it again after class. this is simply an introductino to the stretches. take time after to do extra".

then get feed back, "how was that class? what did you like, what did you not like? this is your class. let me know what works so i can give you the best class possible", then take in their feedback and alter. it doesn't matter where you start, just start somewhere and ask for feedback for the direction to take.

hope that gives you a couple of ideas.
This would be a good start. Give everyone a chance to try everything.

Might add more rounds on the bags, just to meet expectations.

Also, once the sweating and bag work start, pull them out one at a time to give them time on the mitts with you.

Mitts are always my favorite workout in the gym.

Once they get to a point where everyone is comfortable with the basics, maybe introduce 30 second sparring drills for catching the jab, blocking/countering, body punch only sparring, etc..
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2011, 02:23 AM   #5
MrSmall
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyland View Post

Technically speaking; I understand introducing the stance, foot movement, and punching technique

Thanks guys.
sounds like you're bragging there!
MrSmall is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing