Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #1
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 95
Default Definition of 'Fit' ?

Definition of 'Fit' ?
Hey forum first post around here. Well first of all im 15 and i train usually 8-10 times a week which is pretty good. Technique wise im doing great and also strength wise. The problem kicks in here, i am somehow able intense without stopping like diamond pushups for a very long time and i dont rly find it a problem, i can do pullups and not find it a problem but recently a coach from TKO gym come over to our island and gave a couple of pro sessions and included me in it. I did everything as he said excellently then i did 2 rounds of pads.. after the first 2 mins of the first round i felt like falling.. i spoke to him about it and he said that i do train alot but im not 'Fit'.. can anyone give me any advice on how i can improve my endurance, im willing to do any type of exercises except altitude training since we go no mountains around here .. Thanks
Juxhin is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2011, 03:33 AM   #2
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075
Default Re: Definition of 'Fit' ?

I was in a similar position when i first started. Thought i was fit until i started boxing. You probably have developed reasonable muscular endurance. However if your gassing on boxing related exercises in rounds such as pads ect then i would suggest you train anaerobic system. Sprints and intervals. Or better yet if you are suffering specifically on pads.... do more pads!

Its easy to talk about our strengths and focus on that and not our weakness's

For example i was shit at sprints and interval training but did alot of long distance, took me a while to accept i was doing things wrong and running 6 -8 miles a day wasnt helping me. So changed it up with intervals and not looked back since. I also couldnt do more than 5 chin ups, decided they wern't that important as i could do loads of push ups. Once again realised i was wrong, i can now knock out 25 chin ups.

Anyway blabbing now .. work on your weak points and you will get all round fitness
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 03:37 AM   #3
Joan_Guzman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Altitude training will help you loads bro.
Joan_Guzman is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 03:48 AM   #4
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan_Guzman View Post
Altitude training will help you loads bro.
How do you possibly think altitude training will help or is appropriate for a 15 year old who is probably dabbling in the sport at this time!

It takes extreme planning by professionals to work that sort of stuff out and the effects only last for a short period of time. And even when used by professionals the theories are arguable

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

just out of interest what altitude do you train at ????
Old 08-26-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

as i wrote before i cannot due altitude training due to the fact that in Malta we dont have any mountains or high lands.. but ill try to do some research around, roughly how high should i be for this training method to actually work?
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 04:05 AM   #6
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post
I was in a similar position when i first started. Thought i was fit until i started boxing. You probably have developed reasonable muscular endurance. However if your gassing on boxing related exercises in rounds such as pads ect then i would suggest you train anaerobic system. Sprints and intervals. Or better yet if you are suffering specifically on pads.... do more pads!

Its easy to talk about our strengths and focus on that and not our weakness's

For example i was shit at sprints and interval training but did alot of long distance, took me a while to accept i was doing things wrong and running 6 -8 miles a day wasnt helping me. So changed it up with intervals and not looked back since. I also couldnt do more than 5 chin ups, decided they wern't that important as i could do loads of push ups. Once again realised i was wrong, i can now knock out 25 chin ups.

Anyway blabbing now .. work on your weak points and you will get all round fitness
interval training, yes that just sounds like a good idea.. can you give me any example of how you do it? like 100m sprint 50m jog 25 m walk and repeat?
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 04:06 AM   #7
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxhin View Post
as i wrote before i cannot due altitude training due to the fact that in Malta we dont have any mountains or high lands.. but ill try to do some research around, roughly how high should i be for this training method to actually work?
Over 1500 meters , i would seriously consider other methods. It is used for pro athletes who are using it to benefit competition , when the competition is usually held at high altitude, the benefits at sea level are arguable and the research divided. Also the effects are generally thought to only last 3-6 weeks.

By all means do some research , i am at the moment just out of interest. While your at it research the benefits of anaerobic training and sprints and intervals. Would be very effective and less complicated!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:13 AM   #8
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Over 1500 meters , i would seriously consider other methods. It is used for pro athletes who are using it to benefit competition , when the competition is usually held at high altitude, the benefits at sea level are arguable and the research divided. Also the effects are generally thought to only last 3-6 weeks.

By all means do some research , i am at the moment just out of interest. While your at it research the benefits of anaerobic training and sprints and intervals. Would be very effective and less complicated!
sure, ill do some good researching about it. Im not looking for instant results, im very healthy dont drink dont smoke and eat healthy food and train very hard which is something no boy i know does at my age. Being told im not 'Fit' did put me off and made me think twice about how i balance my training and what i should do more. Ill research about it and hopefully find something to help me, thanks again sir
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 04:16 AM   #9
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
interval training, yes that just sounds like a good idea.. can you give me any example of how you do it? like 100m sprint 50m jog 25 m walk and repeat?
You can go for time or distance really. Roughly 1 minute works out about 400 m. I believe it should be mixed up. Focus on quality. For example try 400 m x 4 times, the 50 meters x 8 times. With the 50 m sprints i find jogging back to the start useful. With the 400 m I tend to rest for time. Try resting for 1 minute before the next sprint and try and get this rest time down as your fitness increases.

Another session could be 3 x 800 m and 5 x 100m. Just mix it up. I found it hard to get the right distances if you have a running track handy it would be really good.

I used to train on a park on a football (soccer pitch) One of my conditioning routines was

Sprints
  • 4 times around the pitch (roughly 200m or so) 30 seconds rest inbetween
  • 8 times the length of the pitch (88m) 30 seconds rest
  • 16 times the width of the pitch (50m) jog back to the start

on the same session i would also do box jumps 3 x 1 minute and squat box jumps 3 x 1 minute with 30 seconds rest. It gave me alot of benifits work capacity wise HOWEVER i wouldnt do this all the time I think sometimes less is more as with this routine by the time your getting to the 50 m sprints and the box jumps quality starts to disappear.

Have a play around and find what works. Just dont do it one way all the time as everything has its benefits
Old 08-26-2011, 04:18 AM   #10
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
sure, ill do some good researching about it. Im not looking for instant results, im very healthy dont drink dont smoke and eat healthy food and train very hard which is something no boy i know does at my age. Being told im not 'Fit' did put me off and made me think twice about how i balance my training and what i should do more. Ill research about it and hopefully find something to help me, thanks again sir
saying your not fit was probably not the right way to put it however i think what your trainer is trying to say is boxing takes different demands so you might need to adapt your training for this sport.

A marathon runner is fit
A boxer is fit
An Olympic weight lifter is fit

see where im going here?
Old 08-26-2011, 04:27 AM   #11
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
saying your not fit was probably not the right way to put it however i think what your trainer is trying to say is boxing takes different demands so you might need to adapt your training for this sport.

A marathon runner is fit
A boxer is fit
An Olympic weight lifter is fit

see where im going here?
completely thanks a million
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 04:43 AM   #12
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

ive been searching around and i came up on this interesting post, mind taking a look?

and this regarding fartlek training:
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 08-26-2011, 04:55 AM   #13
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
ive been searching around and i came up on this interesting post, mind taking a look?

and this regarding fartlek training:
yep nothing wrong with either of those as far as my limited knowledge goes!

I often use the stationary bike in intervals. Or for example last night i was going for 20 mins at an intense level but one i could maintain then randomly throwing in burst of 30 seconds increased intensity but never dipping below my original pace when "resting". When i used to run 3-4 miles i would try and complete in as short as time as possible.

The only problem i could see with randomly throwing in intervals and sprints is its easy to cheat yourself , with the best will in the world you will still rest more and sprint less intensely than with set rest periods.

But iv found variety is the key. To stop boredom if nothing else
Old 08-26-2011, 04:57 AM   #14
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Regarding an aerobic base i personally found it useful to have one before i got into the intervals. However i already had it from doing a year or so of distance runs. So i didnt know any better and i dont think anything prepared me for sprints/interval training....... and nothing prepared me for sparring whole new ball game
Old 08-26-2011, 05:02 AM   #15
jof
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1363

Agreed with most of the above.

In the traditional sense I don't regard myself as fit - my running is terrible and I can't lift a bag of potatoes. However...I can easiy spend an hour on the pads or sparring for 6 rounds or so. You get conditioned to the sport. Im my opionion your better off hitting the bag and sparring than doing endless floor exercises.

They help for sure. But you get fit for boxing by....boxing
jof is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing