Old 01-13-2008, 06:04 AM   #76
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ali was overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
Also, your average featherweight fight, for example, is far more entertaining than your average heavyweight fight.
They are? How so, Mr. Boxing expert? (please understand I consider you no expert. An irritant yep, an expert, hardly lol)

I'll grant you one thing, the feathers throw a lot of punches... only prob is I've had a house fly or two land on my arm with as much impact. Of course I'm a bigger guy.

HW punchers provide the real excitement in boxing, not feathers... I'm willing to step it up a weight class or two, but your bs that feathers are more entertaining is nothing more than that... a bull **** opinion from you.
RoccoMarciano is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2008, 06:48 AM   #77
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoMarciano
They are? How so, Mr. Boxing expert? (please understand I consider you no expert. An irritant yep, an expert, hardly lol).
yes, I can detect sarcasm you old snaggletoothed vulture. I was talking 'average' fight, which in heavyweight terms is about as exciting as your face. My idea of a good fight is lots of punches thrown and high-energy (obviously a KO is preferable) not two overweight lummoxes leaning on each other and grunting. Remember, if your washed-up dying brain can take in such a thing, that I said "average" fight.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2008, 06:55 AM   #78
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
My idea of a good fight is lots of punches thrown and high-energy (obviously a KO is preferable)
Only trouble is your preference hardly ever happens with the mosquito biters.

Don't post a bunch of **** about classic HWs being boring just because you prefer another weight class. They deliver an exciting punch (as do the weights a little lower than them)

Christ, Rocky threw huge amounts of punches in a heavier weight class. I guess he is now your fav HW boxer
Old 01-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #79
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

Don't post a bunch of **** about classic HWs being boring just because you prefer another weight class. They deliver an exciting punch (as do the weights a little lower than them)

Christ, Rocky threw huge amounts of punches in a heavier weight class. I guess he is now your fav HW boxer
The mosquito punchers hit each other just as hard as heavyweights hit each other, relatively speaking of course. A punch from a Featherweight to another Featherweight is similar to a Heavyweight punch to another Heavyweight. KO's happen very often in lower weights, not quite sure where you're getting your info.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2008, 07:00 AM   #80
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
The mosquito punchers hit each other just as hard as heavyweights hit each other, relatively speaking of course.
That's why their KO numbers are so high?
Old 01-13-2008, 07:02 AM   #81
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Rocky was a decent fighter to watch, as were frazier and tyson. They weren't average. Your average heavyweight bout, as say 3rd fight on a bill, is almost always really boring. Like your posts, which i only read to see how many ****heads post in this forum.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #82
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Wilfredo Gomez had 32 KO's in his first 32 fights, at 122 pounds. Carlos Zarate had 54 KO's in his first 56 fights. Etc, etc. How can you say what you're saying?

Last edited by uGURU; 12-19-2006 at 06:16 PM.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2008, 07:05 AM   #83
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Heavyweight fights are often 'rescued' by their KOs, of course that makes a lot of people prefer them. But the action throughout is mostly at a much slower pace.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:09 AM   #84
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Heavyweight fights are often 'rescued' by their KOs, of course that makes a lot of people prefer them. But the action throughout is mostly at a much slower pace.
It's slower, but no less entertaining, that's the only point I was making. Some like to see the one shot thing... while others like to see volumes of punches that score and do litttle damage from the smaller fighters.

I guess I just didn't care for the way you made it sound like the only interesting fights come from the little dudes. In retrospect, you probably didn't mean it in that way.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:04 AM   #85
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
The mosquito punchers hit each other just as hard as heavyweights hit each other, relatively speaking of course. A punch from a Featherweight to another Featherweight is similar to a Heavyweight punch to another Heavyweight. KO's happen very often in lower weights, not quite sure where you're getting your info.
That is not true. Heavyweights are far more likely to KO their opponent with their best punch than smaller guys are. Power increases more than durability. That's why nearly all lightheavyweights who go up to heavyweight suddenly have durability problems they never had at LHW.

Yes, there are a few exceptions to that, but in general it's true. Smaller guys need to hit each other much more often and usually, if a stoppage occurs, it is mostly from being wore down by the opponent or just not able to defend themselves. Fights at lower weights are much more grueling and destroy the body much faster because they take a lot of punches, but are not knocked out.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2008, 09:36 AM   #86
MAD - MIKE -

Didn't foreman in the 1990s win the heavyweight belt? I believe the oldest ever. Dude foreman whips both lewis's. Ali is an all time great The best ever? Foreman if he and ali fought in the states I pick george.
MAD - MIKE - is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2008, 09:44 AM   #87
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD - MIKE -
Didn't foreman in the 1990s win the heavyweight belt? I believe the oldest ever. Dude foreman whips both lewis's. Ali is an all time great The best ever? Foreman if he and ali fought in the states I pick george.

Not sure about that. He'd have still likely let Ali into his head no matter where it took place. Also, Ali did possess the craft and chin to overcome him. But I do agree that he'd have fought better in the US, where he would have likely had a few more supporters (people laying down big bets, etc) than in Ali's 'homeland'- a place he just didn't want to be.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum