Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #16
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 153
Default Re: Did Tyson even train for lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Tyson was not prepared mentally or physically for Lewis.

I remember in 2000, Tyson beat Julius Francis and then said he needed "a few more fights" before thinking about taking on Lennox Lewis, then he beat Lou Savarese in a few seconds and looked in GREAT condition, still he needed more fights, then he fought Andrew Golota, had a tantrum directed at the media before and after the fight and said he'd never fight again, (but he looked decent against Golota).

I suppose Tyson at this point was about two or three tune-ups away from being in the best possible PHYSICAL state (at that point is his career) to take on Lewis, but his crazy behaviour and his statement about quitting showed he was mentally unstable for fighting. For all three fights in 2000 he weighed 220-225.

Then, after Golota, he put all the ring rust back on, and re-surfaced a whole year later against Brian Nielsen, weighing 239 and looking heavy-handed and slow-footed. Another 8 month layoff and he takes on Lennox Lewis - a fight I'm not sure Tyson even wanted ! He seemed to try to sabotage it.

Tyson looked like a sacrificial lamb against Lewis, a has-been with the biggest name in boxing, a 234 plodder who'd lost his love for the game, and blown all his millions, getting another mega-million payday squeezed out of his name.

Tyson gave up believing in himself in the 3rd round of the rematch with Holyfield, when he bit the ear.
I doubt he ever believed he could really beat Lewis, but Lewis wanted the payday, Tyson wanted the payday, and several other people stood to make a hell of a lot of money from that fight.
very well put.
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #17
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

LETS FACE FACTS:

Lennox would have beat the tyson of the 90's and 00's 9 times out of 10. Tyson just never had the tools after 1988 to beat such a technical sound much bigger giant in lewis. To beat lennox, tyson would have needed the jab, head movement, and rapid fire combo's. he never showed these again after the spinks fights. he stilled had teh speed and power but that would not have been enough
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #18
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

Tyson purely just showed up that night..

Back in the 80's if mike was to sit in the centre of MSG and read a book in silence 40.000 would buy tickets to watch.....

I think he just wanted to act like he was ready for Lennox, he already knew the outcome of the fight...
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2008, 10:22 AM   #19
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat

I think he just wanted to act like he was ready for Lennox, he already knew the outcome of the fight...
A true great with the awesome power of Tyson should never know the outcome of such a fight. Lewis had been stopped by two much lesser punchers and fighters so a Tyson even past his best really should not be conceding the loss before getting in there. Even out of shape he has the potential power for victory. If he already knew the outcome he doesn't belong anywhere near the top level. True greats believe they can find a way, even against seemingly insurmountable odds.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #20
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
A true great with the awesome power of Tyson should never know the outcome of such a fight. Lewis had been stopped by two much lesser punchers and fighters so a Tyson even past his best really should not be conceding the loss before getting in there. Even out of shape he has the potential power for victory. If he already knew the outcome he doesn't belong anywhere near the top level. True greats believe they can find a way, even against seemingly insurmountable odds.
And the conclusion ?

I'd suggest,
1. Tyson was no longer Tyson.
Or
2. Tyson doesn't fulfill that criteria for "true great".
Or
3. Both of the above.

Or you disagree entirely with bigcat's observation ?
Old 01-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #21
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
And the conclusion ?

I'd suggest,
1. Tyson was no longer Tyson.
Or
2. Tyson doesn't fulfill that criteria for "true great".
Or
3. Both of the above.

Or you disagree entirely with bigcat's observation ?
I think Tyson thought he had a chance going into the fight but had all but conceded by the mid rounds.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2008, 12:41 PM   #22
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
I think Tyson thought he had a chance going into the fight but had all but conceded by the mid rounds.

Probably even before the mid rounds. Maybe not to Tyson himself, but to many obsevers it looked as good as over when Lewis got into the groove after the 1st round. But your right, by around the 5th round Lewis was right on top. Safer to say it was as good as over after the 5th or 6th rather than the 2nd as Tyson was more fresh physically and mentally then. His power obviously very dangerous during the first 4 rounds.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #23
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Whether he'd trained to a rigourous schedule or otherwise, at this stage Tyson still would have got his head handed to him regardless. I remember watching the fight at my place with a crowd of mates (some of 'em 'casuals') a few were still taken in by the Tyson "aura" and were confident he'd win from the very the beginning, but I still considered Lewis to be the logical favourite- no way was he going to taken even a spent Tyson lighter than he took Rahman in their first fight.

Tyson had a good 1st round but it was blindingly obvious that unless he scored a KD very early on that Lewis would be too stong and too good for him to handle. From the third onwards it was total one sided traffic.

PS: very good post Sonny's jab. Some very valid points.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #24
anon1
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

he did train for the fight. in the press conference -tyson was probably walking around 260. that much weight is tougher to see on him because of his build and the dark shirt. of course - his training was nothing like in the old days and i'm not sure if any kind of training could have made him 22 again to be able to beat lewis. even if tyson didn't train properly to the level anyone should when facing someone like lennox lewis - it is still his shortcoming / fault. fight time he was 3 weeks shy from his 36th birthday although in boxing age he was much older. 2002 tyson just didn't have the fitness of a younger version to recover quickly from a punch like he did in his days against ruddock or bruno.
anon1 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #25
Sonny's jab

vCash:

I agree anon1, he must have trained a bit, or at least dieted a lot, because I remember he was looking even bulkier a few months earlier.

The thing is, and I pointed this out earlier, he looked in great physical shape just 2 years earlier against Savarese. He said he didn't train much for that fight either. Tyson, IMO, was nowhere near good enough to beat Lewis any time after 1997, but between 2000 and 2001 (between the Golota and Nielsen fights) he truly deteriorated as far PHYSICAL FITNESS and body shape goes. Against Lewis he just looked thick-waisted and heavy and a bit slow, his neck actually looked skinnier than in his prime !
Everything that made Tyson Tyson had diminished.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum