Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 09-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970
Default Erin McGowan in WBA & WBC unification bout.

Erin's big chance to bag the WBA & WBC titles:

Erin McGowan vs. Monica “La Gata” Acosta

from Women Boxing dot com - September 8, 2011

(SEPT LA PAMPA, ARGENTINA ---WBAN has been informed that upon arriving in Santa Rosa, La Pampa, Argentina on September 6, 2011, and heading out to the Gym for her workout, WBO Lightweight Champion Erin McGowan practically bumped into the WBA & WBC Light Welterweight Champion Monica Acosta as Acosta was just about to exit the gym after her workout.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Both McGowan and Acosta gave one another a cordial kiss and hug then, the Stare Down began with wide smiles on each Champion’s face. A few photographs were taken and, as each pugilist looked into one another eyes, it was evident that they are ready to take care of business.

During yesterday’s press conference both McGowan and Acosta affirm that this is the toughest fight of their careers. Monica “La Gata” Acosta; Dubbed “the Cat Woman” by her beloved La Pampa, has a record of 14 wins with 0 losses and 2 draws with 2 KO’s; while the visiting McGowan has an impressive record of 14 wins – 0 losses with 7 by way of knockout.

McGowan began her Journey from her hometown of Perth, Australia in search on competing against the Best in the World. Travelling half-way around the world to Tampa, Florida where she continued her training regimen under the guidance of trainer Sherman Henson, manager Eddie Montalvo and, under the tutelage of “The Third Man in The Ring,” the Legendary Angelo Dundee, McGowan is confident her condition for this fight is the best she has ever been in.

Accompanied by her longtime friend and trainer Habske Halmut and her manager Eddie Montalvo, McGowan travelled to Fort Lauderdale, Florida the weekend of September 2, 2011, to get some sparring at Bonnie Canino’s gym before heading out to Argentina for her World title bout against Acosta.

Monica Acosta has faced tough opponents before, such as; Columbia’s Lely Luz Florez and Argentina’s veteran of the Ring Alejandra “La Locomotora” Oliveras (The Locomotive), while McGowan’s toughest opponent to date has been England’s Lindsey Scragg. This bout is set to be one that will definitely affirm that Women Boxing is just as competitive, if not more so, than their counter-parts’ in many occasions and should be supported on major fight cards.

When asked why did she take this bout, McGowan stated, “in order to be considered a legitimate World Champion and to be taken seriously in the sport, I must fight the Best. This is just the start of my campaign in wanting to compete against the best. I am fortunate enough to be able to compete a several weight categories…..” “Too, because it is time we women boxers, “Athletes,” are taken seriously and given the opportunities Layla Ali and Christy Martin have been given. There are many women that have paved the way for fighters like me that have never been given the Shot to compete on major fights cards. Hopefully this will change and that is why I took this fight.”

The bout promoted by ARANO BOX is set to be an Explosive one. When asked why did they make this matchup between Monica Acosta and Erin McGowan, both Mario Arano and Eddie Montalvo stated that this is the kind of matchups Women Boxing needs; two undefeated fighters with the talent to make a good fight. Arano went on to say, “In the World of Boxing any promoter would’ve loved to make this match up. I am fortunate to have been blessed with the opportunity promote it.”
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Erin McGowan in WBA & WBC unification bout.

Erin attracts the interest of none other than Angelo Dundee!

I bet Kronky's one proud bastard, wherever he is?

Erin McGowan brings her boxing title dreams to Tampa

by Eddie Daniels - The Tampa Tribune - September 9th 2011

Boxing great Angelo Dundee had the perfect seat last Thursday.

Sitting ringside in a red, white and blue polo and blue jean shorts, Dundee sat just off the apron of the boxing ring inside Tampa’s Fight Factory.

Dundee, who has trained numerous champions, including Muhammad Ali, watched as Australian boxer Erin McGowan worked inside the ring with local trainer Sherman Henson. Her goal – get better for tonight’s title fight against Monica Acosta in Argentina.

Dundee just wanted to give some pointers here and there.

Turning to his right, Dundee shouted at boxing manager Eddie Montalvo: “You ain’t gonna have to work too hard with her. She’s going to knock out a lot of people.”

That’s just what McGowan (14-0, 7 KOs), the WBO lightweight belt holder, is hoping for when she steps up in weight to face Acosta (14-0-2, 2 KOs) for her WBA light welterweight belt.

“This is a huge opportunity for me,” McGowan said. “Being out here in the states, the competition and the girls here, it’s a huge (challenge) for me. I really want to secure another world title. It’s a long journey, leaving my boy at home and flying all the way over to take this fight. Hopefully it’s going to open up some big doors in the states for me, which is where I want to be. I want to be fighting the best girls in the world.”

McGowan put the finishing touches on her training camp for this fight, traveling to Tampa for a week to work with Henson and Montalvo. Her trainer, Habby Heske, flew in from Australia later in the week. The group traveled to Ft. Lauderdale for one last sparring session before flying to Argentina.

This day was special because it was the first time she would get to work with Dundee, who lives in the Tampa Bay area.

McGowan, a native of Perth, Australia, spent five years as an amateur compiling a 30-4 record. A win against Acosta and she’ll become the first Australian female fighter to have collected multiple major titles.

If Dundee’s excitement throughout the session is any indication, McGowan will be a name to remember for some time.

“She does a lot of good things, which are natural,” Dundee said. “There’s nothing better than being a natural fighter like she is. She wants to learn, which is good. You can always teach if they want to learn. All I’m going to do is smooth her out a little bit.”

At one point, as McGowan began lacing her shoes, Dundee took over, showing her a different way to tie them.

“It’s the little things,” Dundee quipped.

Henson was impressed with McGowan’s work ethic. The day after enduing a 30-plus hour flight, she met Henson and Montalvo at the gym ready to work. According to McGowan, she felt horrible on the inside. That definitely didn’t show on the outside.

“I see the potential of a future, longtime world champion,” Henson said. “She has the potential and she has the talent to be a champion for a long time and the thing that gets me is her drive.”

Montalvo hopes this is the start of a long relation between McGowan and Tampa. If all goes well, she could return to train for future fights. And just like everyone else, he too believes McGowan’s future is bright.

“I was looking at some fight tape and immediately I knew she was one of the special ones,” Montalvo said. “I knew if I could get her to the United States and train and get more intensive training that she will be unstoppable.”
Old 09-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Erin McGowan in WBA & WBC unification bout.

Gutsy display by Erin and probably unlucky not to get the nod.

referee: Jorge Basile | judge: Hugo De Leon 93-97 | judge: Jorge Tripodi 94-96 | judge: Manuel Veliz 95-95

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum