Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-13-2008, 03:15 AM   #1
anut
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default ron lyle 0f 76 vs joe deazier of 76///????

WHO WINS AND WHY.....my pick is lyle by tko of frazier in about 9rds....i think in 76 frazier was pretty shot and heavy at 224 lbs.......in 76 lyle got off the deck against shavers and came back to knock out shavers....gave foreman hell....my pick is a pretty much prime lyle vs a very shot frazier...
anut is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
abraq
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: ron lyle 0f 76 vs joe deazier of 76///????

I have often wondered about these two - but in their respective primes.

I have a feeling that a peak Lyle could have had a great chance of upsetting Frazier. Lyle was a big hulking guy with great physical strength. See how he pushed around Muhammad Ali in their fight. In contrast, Ali easily held on to Frazier in the clinches. Foreman manhandled Frazier but could just about manage to get the better of Lyle. Of course the version of Foreman that fought Frazier was slightly better than the version that fought Lyle.

My point is that Frazier was a comparatively weak heavyweight but did have pretty good punching power. And strength would play a good part in this matchup as I feel that neither fighter had the power to knock out the other guy. Don't get me wrong. Both had pretty good punching power and would have hurt each other. Only thing is that there was little chance of one knocking out the other. There could be a TKO along the way but probably no dramatic KO.

In such a situation it would be Joe Frazier's heart and intensity versus Ron Lyle's strength and tenacity. It could go either way.

Last edited by abraq; 01-14-2008 at 03:06 AM.
abraq is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

In 76, Frazier didn't have much left. I think Lyle could've beaten him at that point.

Prime for prime though, Frazier takes it comfortably by 10th round TKO.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraq
I have often wondered about these two - but in their respective primes.

I have a feeling that a peak Lyle could have had a great chance of upsetting Frazier. Lyle was a big hulking guy with great physical strength. See how he pushed around Muhammad Ali in their fight. In contrast, Ali easily held on to Frazier in the clinches. Foreman manhandled Frazier but could just about manage to get the better of Lyle. Of course the version of Foreman who fought Lyle was slightly better than the version who fought Lyle.

My point is that Frazier was a comparatively weak heavyweight but did have pretty good punching power. And strength would play a good part in this matchup as I feel that neither fighter had the power to knock out the other guy. Don't get me wrong. Both had pretty good punching power and would have hurt each other. Only thing is that there was little chance of one knocking out the other. There could be a TKO along the way but probably no dramatic KO.

In such a situation it would be Joe Frazier's heart and intensity versus Ron Lyle's strength and tenacity. It could go either way.
Well put.
Mendoza is online now  Top
Old 01-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Lyle late round stoppage.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Prime for Prime its Frazier by tko 8-10, Lyle did not have the speed or Foreman power
Bummy Davis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum