boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238
Default Anyone seen Carnera-Loughran (the title match) ?

I have read that Loughran got the better of Carnera most of the time, but Carnera got the decision. Was it a bad decision or did Carnera best him? Consider Loughran had beaten the Italian in a previous non-title fight, the claim has some merit, but i'd like to see a newspaper account or comments from someone who has seen the fight.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Anyone seen Carnera-Loughran (the title match) ?

I have never heard it suggested that it was anything other than a clear cut win for Carnera.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

If it was legit then Carnera had a pretty good championship run. Won it by convincing knockout (i don't believe that fix-****), defended 4 months later against a pretty good challenger in Uzcudun (although he'd been slipping a bit), Loughran 5 months later (another good challenger), and then Baer. As good as any title run Holyfield has ever had.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:28 AM   #4
Woller
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

The fight exists on film, but only in a highlight version. Carnera looks good for a man his size. As far as I know the decision was correct.

Woller
Woller is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2008, 05:18 AM   #5
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I've watched some clips from the fight. It looks as though Carnera has the edge in the rounds I've seen. It's never been my understanding that there was any serious dispute of this decision.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2008, 06:16 AM   #6
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
If it was legit then Carnera had a pretty good championship run. Won it by convincing knockout (i don't believe that fix-****), defended 4 months later against a pretty good challenger in Uzcudun (although he'd been slipping a bit), Loughran 5 months later (another good challenger), and then Baer. As good as any title run Holyfield has ever had.
The consensus is that it was a close but valid decision,they only met once by the way,are you getting mixed up with Ray Impelliteire?
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2008, 06:47 AM   #7
Sonny's jab

vCash:

I think no fighter in history has had there reputation as a fighter damaged as badly as PRIMO CARNERA has.

The accounts of writers like Budd Schulberg and Paul Gallico (both of whom went on to successful careers as FICTION writers) are repeated as gospel to this day.

The hapless, lumbering giant, "most of his fights were fixed", "He didn't even know it!", a highly-orchestrated mafia conspiracy to turn a gentle giant who couldn't box a lick into a world champion.

I find the story unlikely, and sensationalist.
It seems as if the most extreme version of events is the one that has gained currency.

As for Carnera-Loughran, I've read that Carnera outboxed him and that Loughran blamed it on the fact that Carnera kept stepping on his feet with his own colossal feet. Loughran had the bruises to show for it.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:15 AM   #8
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
The consensus is that it was a close but valid decision,they only met once by the way,are you getting mixed up with Ray Impelliteire?
I'm getting old, mcvey. I wasn't thinking of Impelltiere though. I'm glad there's a clear concensus on this case though.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #9
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
I'm getting old, mcvey. I wasn't thinking of Impelltiere though. I'm glad there's a clear concensus on this case though.
Not as old as me CP.Joe Louis was champ when I was born.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #10
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
Not as old as me CP.Joe Louis was champ when I was born.
George Foreman was champ when I was born.

So I'm either 13 or 34 !

Last edited by undefeated; 12-21-2006 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #11
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

Didn't expect you to be 13, Sonny.

Although...
Old 01-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #12
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

I saw clips. Carnera was in control. The decsion was a clean one. Lourghan was just too small and without enough fire power to win.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #13
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
I saw clips. Carnera was in control. The decsion was a clean one. Lourghan was just too small and without enough fire power to win.
I have seen a number of rounds also. Carnera certainly dominated the later rounds. Loughran was ahead after ten, but tired.

Carnera is generally underrated. His reputation is harmed by rather loose fix talk and he is the victim of the size double-standard--even when he won it was dismissed because he was so much bigger than his opposition. That is really not relevent in heavyweight boxing.

By the way, watch a selection from rounds 4-9 of the Baer fight on youtube. Carnera looks pretty good.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD FOGEY
I have seen a number of rounds also. Carnera certainly dominated the later rounds. Loughran was ahead after ten, but tired.

Carnera is generally underrated. His reputation is harmed by rather loose fix talk and he is the victim of the size double-standard--even when he won it was dismissed because he was so much bigger than his opposition. That is really not relevent in heavyweight boxing.

By the way, watch a selection from rounds 4-9 of the Baer fight on youtube. Carnera looks pretty good.
Quotes from Carnera ,sitting on his dressing room bench ,alone and unattended after Louis half killed him,an unsympathetic reporter,"did he hit you hard?""Jesus god yes","would you want to fight him again?" "Jesus god no!"
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #15
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD FOGEY

I have seen several Carnera-Baer mid rounds a few years ago and from what i remember, he handled Baer pretty well. The irony is that pretty much everyone ranks Baer higher on all-time lists. Now that i think about it, i'm going to make a thread to discuss this.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum