Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Naseem Hamed Vs Shozo Saijo

Both very good 126lb titlists, Hamed was the no.1 in the World for a period of time, Saijo never got the chance to take on Shibata and prove himself the best but what a solid fighter nonetheless, with a big heart and a solid dig that shows you should never judge a fighter by his K.O%.

But am I right in thinking Hamed is a bad matchup for the Jap'? Saijo, despite being very dangerous when hurt and usually being able to pull himself together quickly, could be stunned, and like Hamed was prone to suffering flash knockdowns. Whilst Hameds were usually balance related, Saijo could be hit clean and dropped, and against the slick Antonio Gomez he stayed hit.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt3ylRIKEAs&feature=related[/ame]

But Hamed was always faux-slick, and could be caught himself. Whilst not a Danny Lopez-esque hitter, Saijo hit hard and put his shots together well when trying to finish an opponent. Whilst he is most potent at mid-range, he can step inside to dish out punishment to both body and head. He was very straight on though, Naz chopping him down with his angled, heavy shots is very feasible IMO.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt_IkMTIi8E[/ame]

Before getting sparked, Saijo managed to trap and hit a genuinely skillful and evasive fighter in Antonio Gomez, and I imagine he would have no worries landing on Hamed. But against southpaw Flash Besande, Saijo gets dropped numerous times throughout the bout, although he surges late to batter his lefty foe.. I tend to think Hamed would catch him with similar shots, and with his power, put him away.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsOxIdsBahs[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hXj-dwV_IA&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33avL_mWDR8&feature=related[/ame]

Anyone disagree and think Saijo could pull something out of the bag? Did Naz fight anyone who hit as hard as Saijo? He would get up in Naz's grill if he was hurt, and I could definitely envision both guys going down a few times each in a shoot out.

Naz had a pretty good chin IMO. I think it's he who comes through some rough patches and blasts Saijo out. Anyone reckon the Jap' will do his usual thing, get off the deck and beat Hamed to a pulp?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Naseem Hamed Vs Shozo Saijo

Hamed because he has better more English commentary and I know who he is as opposed to Saijo who I can't figure out which 1 of the 2 he is

In all seriousness Hamed at his best was much harder to hit than is made out, amazing radar and deadly counters. I'm one who believe Hamed was badly deteriorated by the time he faced MAB. I know nothing about Saijo though so won't make a pick
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Hamed because he has better more English commentary and I know who he is as opposed to Saijo who I can't figure out which 1 of the 2 he is

In all seriousness Hamed at his best was much harder to hit than is made out, amazing radar and deadly counters. I'm one who believe Hamed was badly deteriorated by the time he faced MAB. I know nothing about Saijo though so won't make a pick
He was hit in all of his big fights. And Steve Robinson certainly doesn't compare to Saijo if we're looking for Naz being punch perfect
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Any opinions?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

There used to be a guy who rated Shozo, some punk called Sweet Pea or summat, surprised he hasn't got an opinion....
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
kikibalt
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I seen Shozo Saijo fight live in Los Angeles couple of times and I would pick him to win this fight..
kikibalt is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

As far as I remember Saijo was a good counter-puncher (I watched against Gomez I think), good style to beat Hamed......But Im not sure, because Im not too familiar with Saijo....Ill watch more of him tonight !
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Saijo has two problems in this fight. A) His chin was none too sturdy, B) His heart was way too big. He would get hurt, and he'd fight his heart out regardless, which would likely lead to an early rounds exit for him. Would be an exciting, but short affair.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
Saijo has two problems in this fight. A) His chin was none too sturdy, B) His heart was way too big. He would get hurt, and he'd fight his heart out regardless, which would likely lead to an early rounds exit for him. Would be an exciting, but short affair.
Exactly my train of thought.

Now, Shibata also had a dodgy head early. But with his ability to keep it at his range, and his sturdy left hand and ability to punch fast and get out, would he be favoured against Naz?

I'd certainly give him a more favourable style of stopping Naz from timing his bombs than Saijo.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum