Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #31
PESTFROMWEST
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: What times should i be aiming for 3 miles??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicksy View Post
Any time below 20mins is very decent for a non-runner flat out. If you're flat out running 25mins then that is pretty slow and you're unfit, but 3 miles is a short distance so relatively small decreases in time are hard to come by the faster you go i.e. 25mins slow, 22mins respectable, 20mins decent, 18mins good, 16mins you're winning road races, 14mins you're a County/regional champ, 13mins get an agent.

A lot of people that don't train as a runner and say they can do it in in less than 18mins are either (1) lying (2) aren't running 3 miles (3) running on a treadmill with no gradient.

I used to do it in less than 15mins, but I was nationally ranked. I know good club runners that can't run 18mins on non-flat road during a training run i.e. no real competition and running on their own.

6min miles for 3miles is possible for most people flat out if they train specifically for running. However, either way, for boxing you don't really want to have 3 miles as your focus on judging "fitness". It would be much better to aim for 7min miles over 6 miles and feel "easy" while doing it.
Totally agree, i find running 3 miles though pointless you may as well cover this distance by sprints with short recovery times say 4 X 400m and 2 x 800 with 1 minute recoveries, if you want to run to build the stanima try running 7 miles at around 8.30 pace.
PESTFROMWEST is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #32
patch1983
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

Maybe Im wrong but i did not get the impression the impression OP meant he was going to run 3miles all the time. Just as one way to measure progress.

I have prob only ran a timed three mile at most 10 times. Most of my road work consisted of hill sprints, sprints and intervals with the odd long distance every so often
patch1983 is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #33
Wicksy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch1983 View Post
I agree for boxing it should not be the focus and agree with most of your post.

However don't assume people are making it up if they say they can do it without training as a runner.
When i did muay Thai it under 18 minutes just from all the roadwork and sprints I was doing. Even
now i can do it in 19.30 and i hardly ever run. Its not as hard as people make out.
I'm not saying you can't do this time or disbelieving you, but you would not only be training correctly (running intervals and multiple days per week as you say you were), but also you would probably be physically talented to run this time (as you probably are). Don't think as it is easy for you it's easy for most people.

You need a good amount of "running talent" to run sub 18mins with no real running training. On the flip side I agree you could take a relatively unfit, not incredibly talented person and get them to sub 18mins with the correct training. However, most people don't fit into either category (and there is nothing wrong with that).

I have heard many times people say they can do X time or Y time, then go for a run with me and it's obvious they were "ambitious" with their times. Not saying they were lying, just mistaken.

Worried I'm sounding arrogant here, which is not my intention and actually the complete opposite as my actual point is that 6mins per mile is very good, but so is 6.30 or 7min miling for a non focused-runner.

Also I know 3miles as a target is fine to run now and then as a marker as your fitness for goal setting. My point was it shouldn't be your key focus or session for boxing i.e. you should have intervals and longer runs as part of a mix, which in turn would improve your 3mile time anyway. I did get the impression OP's roadwork was mainly this 3mile run (but may be wrong).
Wicksy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #34
Wicksy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PESTFROMWEST View Post
Totally agree, i find running 3 miles though pointless you may as well cover this distance by sprints with short recovery times say 4 X 400m and 2 x 800 with 1 minute recoveries, if you want to run to build the stanima try running 7 miles at around 8.30 pace.
Thanks for the comment.

I was going to reply to your first post saying I agreed when I first read it.

Some good sessions you list.
Wicksy is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #35
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 95

Yes guys your all right and everything your saying is correct but he saying hes an amateur 'fit' boxer, now from the looks of it he doesnt really know what times he should be reaching so if hes gonna start running just know he probably wont be able to do >20mins thats what im trying to tell you. Obviously lots of people can do it less but we dont know the guys fitness level, Just cause im saying 25 mins is good doesnt mean he should slow his pace down so he does it in 25 mins, he should simply run fast at constant pace and reach the fastest time he can and proceed there onwards from there.
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #36
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichuchu View Post
Not aiming to be better at running the 3 miles, using the speed i run the 3 miles as an indicator of my fitness among other things. My logic is the fitter i am the easier and faster i can run that distance. So i was wondering what time is average for people who train and what is above or under average
Use 1.5 miles or 2 miles. Or better yet, 800-1200m repeats. 3 isn't anything like the demands of a boxing match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxhin View Post
>25 is very good tho
For a woman...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirpa View Post
Got to disagree slightly there (although I'm only splitting hairs). 25 minutes is achievable by any healthy adult male IMHO, less than 22.5 minutes is starting to get good, sub 20 is very good, sub 18 gets you into genuinely decent club runner territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxhin View Post
Yes guys your all right and everything your saying is correct but he saying hes an amateur 'fit' boxer, now from the looks of it he doesnt really know what times he should be reaching so if hes gonna start running just know he probably wont be able to do >20mins thats what im trying to tell you. Obviously lots of people can do it less but we dont know the guys fitness level, Just cause im saying 25 mins is good doesnt mean he should slow his pace down so he does it in 25 mins, he should simply run fast at constant pace and reach the fastest time he can and proceed there onwards from there.
Yeah, but we're pointing out that 25 sucks. Not that 3mile time even matters, 25 just sucks.
KillSomething is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing