Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #16
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Sky's mocking of Martinez P4P status

He is the best 160 pounder, but that's a weak division.
He has talent, but his big wins were against an out of sorts Kelly Pavlik (who still did well), a 154 pounder Dzinzuric, who I actually rate very highly and would love to see fight Cotto. and Paul Williams who you could argue is really a WW.

Martinez is good, but last night was his first fight with a fully fledged big middleweight, and he made Sergio uncomftorble in spots. Hopkins would win due to size difference and skill level, I also think Mayweather can beat this guy.
Arthur Abraham is a logical fight for Martinez.

Side note : HBO were awful to Darren Barker, Harrold Lederman wouldn't even acknowledge him by name for the most part.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #17
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDUUDDDEE View Post
Hey booradley's alt.
I am not booradley. Martinez is just not the kind of boxer I like, he is a show off and he thinks he is some sort of special boxer but he is going to get a rude awakening soon. I can read body language pretty good and I dont like him, never have. The guy is basically a snake imo.
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #18
dwighttsharpe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
He is the best 160 pounder, but that's a weak division.
He has talent, but his big wins were against an out of sorts Kelly Pavlik (who still did well), a 154 pounder Dzinzuric, who I actually rate very highly and would love to see fight Cotto. and Paul Williams who you could argue is really a WW.

Martinez is good, but last night was his first fight with a fully fledged big middleweight, and he made Sergio uncomftorble in spots. Hopkins would win due to size difference and skill level, I also think Mayweather can beat this guy.
Arthur Abraham is a logical fight for Martinez.

Side note : HBO were awful to Darren Barker, Harrold Lederman wouldn't even acknowledge him by name for the most part.
Deservedly so really. He fought like an overachieving nobody. Really didn't belong in the ring for this fight.
dwighttsharpe is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #19
make_the_weight
Belt holder
ESB Addict

P4P is about current stuff so a guy can do jack all for years but if he starts beating better guys later on in life then his stock rises, it just so happens Sergio beat the best around his weight at the time, they may not be the best ever but they were the best then
make_the_weight is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #20
DDDUUDDDEE
Undisputed Ambien (taker)
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
I am not booradley. Martinez is just not the kind of boxer I like, he is a show off and he thinks he is some sort of special boxer but he is going to get a rude awakening soon. I can read body language pretty good and I dont like him, never have. The guy is basically a snake imo.
lol ok
DDDUUDDDEE is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #21
Indio-Bandido
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

martinez is a joke. barker beat him to the punch a bunch of times. i guess barker should be on the p4p list too.
Indio-Bandido is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #22
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli View Post
I wanted to jump into the TV and tell them all to shut the **** up.

Was anyone else surprised to hear how they basically all shit on Sergio Martinez last night? It actully went beyond that, it was as if none of them even rate him as a top fighter. Im talking about the studio guys particularly Nelson and woodhall. They mocked his rating as a P4P man by saying things like 'no way is he one of the P4P best' and 'hes extremly beatable' 'he is nowhere near pac and mayweathers level' 'a few fighters will fancy their chances seeing this' 'he is completely overated'.

They seemed to talk down his wins over Pavlik and Williams as if they were just average wins. Fair enough it was quite a shitty performance by Martinez who clearly didnt take this seriously but jesus christ shouldnt these SKY pundits know a bit better? Sometimes a fighter has an off day and Barker did well. But these ****wits went on like they just dont rate him at all.
British boxing media are ****ing insufferable homers. Everybody knows this. Nobody outside of Britain takes them seriously.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #23
mtz
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwighttsharpe View Post
Deservedly so really. He fought like an overachieving nobody. Really didn't belong in the ring for this fight.

your a moron, boxing is about actually hitting your opponent not his gloves, by your def winky wright was crap too... your dumb go learn about boxing in a gym... Barker actually gave him a clinic and exposed him till rnd 8 ...
mtz is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #24
dwighttsharpe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtz View Post
your a moron, boxing is about actually hitting your opponent not his gloves, by your def winky wright was crap too... your dumb go learn about boxing in a gym... Barker actually gave him a clinic and exposed him till rnd 8 ...
How does a "nobody" getting KTFO fit in with that strategy?

Idiot!
dwighttsharpe is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #25
el mosquito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by make_the_weight View Post
P4P is about current stuff so a guy can do jack all for years but if he starts beating better guys later on in life then his stock rises, it just so happens Sergio beat the best around his weight at the time, they may not be the best ever but they were the best then
carl froch has had a tougher line up of opponents in recent years and he was nowhere near most p4p top 5 list.
el mosquito is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #26
el mosquito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtz View Post
the fight was really close up to the last round. Someone who calls himself P4P number 2 (and he says floyd is number 1) ought to be ashamed with that performance. and he was fighting an unheralded fighter handpicked by Lou Dibella to make him look good while waiting for the little men at welterweight to give him a payday
el mosquito is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #27
jcairns1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

What do you expect when the guy they're slating is fighting a british fighter ? they were also pretty bad when Hatton fought Mayweather, praising everything Hatton did despite Mayweather dominating the majority of the fight, no disrespect to Hatton though, he fought a good fight for the first 4 or 5 rounds.
jcairns1 is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #28
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli View Post
I wanted to jump into the TV and tell them all to shut the **** up.

Was anyone else surprised to hear how they basically all shit on Sergio Martinez last night? It actully went beyond that, it was as if none of them even rate him as a top fighter. Im talking about the studio guys particularly Nelson and woodhall. They mocked his rating as a P4P man by saying things like 'no way is he one of the P4P best' and 'hes extremly beatable' 'he is nowhere near pac and mayweathers level' 'a few fighters will fancy their chances seeing this' 'he is completely overated'.

They seemed to talk down his wins over Pavlik and Williams as if they were just average wins. Fair enough it was quite a shitty performance by Martinez who clearly didnt take this seriously but jesus christ shouldnt these SKY pundits know a bit better? Sometimes a fighter has an off day and Barker did well. But these ****wits went on like they just dont rate him at all.
they talk shit about a real fighter who fights everyone...and worship haye who fought no one.... makes sense in this new world order
iceman71 is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #29
PhonyGamboa
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
I agree, don't fancy him much either. He thinks he is all of that and thinks he deserves/entitled to big money fights, yet nobody wants anything to do with him or go watch his fights. Dibella said there was 4,400 people there, did not look like it. He was also paid $1.5 million while Barker only received $400,000 and Barker to me had the better performance considering what he was paid. He is also supposed to be paid $2.3 million per fight from here on out, so for those who keep saying "He deserves the big money fights, he deserves it!", He is already getting hefty change now, so cut that crap out.
PhonyGamboa is offline  Top
Old 10-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #30
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman71 View Post
they talk shit about a real fighter who fights everyone...and worship haye who fought no one.... makes sense in this new world order
It boggles the mind. I understand that you want to support the fighter from your own country, but that shouldn't give you a license to bullshit. The panel of so-called Boxing experts on Saturday evening embarrassed themselves thoroughly.
Addie is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum