Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-03-2011, 05:55 AM   #61
rjko23
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 304
Default Re: Sky's mocking of Martinez P4P status

i dont rate martinez that much.... he's had 2 close fights with pavlik and williams and then 1 ko against williams. not that amazing...... he's not that skilled he's just a high tempo fighter with good power. somone like lara and golovkin are much better boxers imo.

Last edited by rjko23; 10-03-2011 at 06:17 AM.
rjko23 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2011, 05:59 AM   #62
Goodhill
Iron Horse - born to lose
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

There┤s a reason why I usually watch fights with no sound on.
Goodhill is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 06:08 AM   #63
LoveMuffin
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

You think those dudes are bad, you should hear the other dude called Jim Watt! It's like he's watching a different fight most of the time!!

Martinez performance was poor all credit to Barker for making it a tough fight and showing he deserved the title shot.

All those bitching about him holding his hands up high and taking the shots watch Winky or watch the Benn vs Watson fight.
LoveMuffin is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 06:10 AM   #64
Thomas!!

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWarrior View Post
Sergio was up against a guy who had the ear muffs on the entire fight. Adjusted, broke him down and stopped him. I dont see the problem. He'd KO Pirog, Sturm or Geale the same way.
Floored
Old 10-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #65
GlassJawsExist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjko23 View Post
i dont rate martinez that much.... he's had 2 close fights with pavlik and williams and then 1 ko against williams. not that amazing...... he's not that skilled he's just a high tempo fighter with good power. somone like lara and golovkin are much better boxers imo.
The Pavlik fight wasn't even close. You must have been swayed by HBO's atrociously biased commentary. Martinez won at least 8 rounds and sliced Pavlik's face up.
GlassJawsExist is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #66
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothrop View Post
British boxing media are ****ing insufferable homers. Everybody knows this. Nobody outside of Britain takes them seriously.
most people in Britain don't take them seriously also
chatty is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #67
Flexe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 350

They shat all over him. Martinez was robbed vs Cintron for starters and Pwill was lucky to get the nod vs Martinez.

Martinez hasn't been truly beaten since Margarito.
Flexe is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #68
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp_Immortal View Post
Man, get the **** out of here. Who cares about who is a "true" middleweight? Pavlik and Williams were the best 2 fighters fighting at 160 and Martinez beat them both. That's all that matters.

As for the announcers, in my experience British commentators are the most shit in the sport, totally embarrassing homerism combined with zero insight.
Paul Williams the best middleweight at the time, really??. Even if I accept that Pavlik and Williams were the best around at the time two fights don't make you a P4P number 3, his record on the whole is pretty average.

I guess that you didn't like the Sky punditry on Saturday, or didn't you hear it.
icemax is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #69
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman71 View Post
no doubt....how can anyone not like sergio? besides the UK can claim him..hes a man without a country...but they are pissed off he hangs out in the u.s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan88 View Post
There's historical bad blood between Argentina and England for political reasons. I'm not surprised one bit by what Sky was saying. The fact that Sergio is Argentine no doubt contributes significantly to the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It's sad.
Did you actually listen to what the panel were saying??
icemax is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #70
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio-Bandido View Post
martinez is a joke. barker beat him to the punch a bunch of times. i guess barker should be on the p4p list too.
Maybe you have a point there.

Not that Barker is p4p, but maybe...just maybe Barker is a better fighter than we're giving him credit for.

Maybe he is a legit highly ranked middleweight.
irishny is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #71
cesare-borgia
▄bermensch in fieri
East Side VIP

In boxing people only seem to judge you based on your last fight, mosley ko's margarito and everyone thinks he is awesome and a warrior, he runs vs pac and is a coward now according to many.
Sergio destroys williams and he is a god, struggles with barker and is an overrated bum.
The truth is more somewhere in the middle.
cesare-borgia is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #72
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase View Post
Pavlik screwed himself by inserting a rematch clause at a weight he apparently couldn't make. If fighting above the middleweight limit was so important to him, maybe he should have demanded a rematch at that weight during the initial negotiation, when he actually had all of the leverage.
Pavlik was in a sauna suit running 10 miles a day even up the day before the fight to make weight. And he went into the fight a drained fighter. And Martinez won't move up 4 pounds to give Pavlik the same guy that gave him a shot a rematch. Does not sound fair to me.

Here is an artical 3 weeks after the fight that I still remember well but looks like some of you need a reminder of how things went down. I have bolded the section that talks about Pavlik wanting a fight at 164 with Martinez. I still remember the laugh Martinez let out when he heard Pavlik wanted a rematch at 164. I knew at that point Martinez had no honor.

By Colin Linneweber

It’s been nearly three weeks since Kelly “The Ghost” Pavlik relinquished his WBC and WBO middleweight championships to Sergio Martinez via unanimous decision and the wounds on his face are still readily visible.
Pavlik (36-2, 32 KOs) was badly bludgeoned by Martinez (45-2-2, 24 KOs) during their matchup and “The Ghost’s” corner has received enormous flak for not managing to close the slices around his eyes.
“Worst job by a cut man since (Mike) Tyson’s guy against Buster Douglas,” said one Boston trainer from Southie.
Pavlik’s promoter, Bob Arum, also chimed in with complaints against the native of Youngstown, Ohio’s corner.
“They need to reevaluate their entire team,” said Arum, who admitted during a 2000 federal trial that he is a bribing and corruptible snake.
“They have to start listening to people who know. Maybe the result would have been different if they had an experienced cut man. To have a cut man that was so ineffective is inexcusable.

"But they are the kind of people that you can’t tell anything to. At least we haven’t been able to. Kelly needs to go away to train. He has to have a nutritionist. You can’t bulk up and then try to lose weight when all you’re doing is eating muscle. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] is not a mom and pop sport anymore. And that’s what they don’t get.”
Pavlik has employed Jack Loew from his hometown as his trainer for his entire career.
What Arum doesn’t “get” is the definition of the word loyalty.
“My corner was giving me all the right advice,” said Pavlik, 28, who suffered his first loss as a prizefighter to Bernard Hopkins (51-5-1, 32 KOs) in October 2008. “Everything (Loew) was telling me between rounds made sense. I just wasn’t able to capitalize on it. And when that blood started to get in my eye, I just couldn’t do anything. I give a lot of credit to guys who have fought with blood in their eyes. It’s a real pain in the ass.”

Pavlik said he would like to utilize his rematch clause to again battle Martinez.
However, he said he would only scrap Martinez at 164 pounds, and not again at 160 pounds.
“I took my rematch with Jermain Taylor at a catch weight,” said Pavlik. “He should give it to me.”

Unfortunately for “The Ghost,” Martinez’s flunkies made it clear that there is a better chance of Paris Hilton preaching abstinence than of their fighter adding weight to again fight Pavlik.
Therefore, Pavlik needs to focus his attention onto either undefeated IBF super middleweight titlist Lucian Bute (26-0, 21 KOs) or retired cokehead “The Italian Dragon” Joe Calzaghe (46-0, 32 KOs).
Calzaghe, a Welshman who hung-up his gloves as an unbeaten champ after he trumped Roy Jones (54-7, 40 KOs) by unanimous decision in November 2008, is reportedly on the cusp of returning to the ring.
When Pavlik was recently asked if he’d like to matchup against Calzaghe, he responded, “F--- yeah I’ll do it. I’d love to fight Joe.”
Since going 34-0 to begin his career, Pavlik has now lost two of his last four bouts.
Beyond his struggles in the squared circle, Pavlik has also been tormented recovering from his twice surgically repaired left-hand.
Pavlik uses an orthodox stance and his right-hand is still as thunderous and potent as ever.
However, Pavlik’s jabbing is what prepares and positions him to launch his mighty right.
If Pavlik’s left-hand remains troublesome, he may have difficulty establishing an advantage and that could preclude him from ever being the fearsome puncher he once was.
Provided that Pavlik regains his health and form, a matchup pitting him versus Calzaghe would be intriguing.
Calzaghe was an enormously skilled pugilist and he is considered one of the best boxers of the past 25 years.
Nevertheless, Calzaghe is now 38 and he hasn’t fought in nearly two years while he’s been doing blow.
Pavlik could revitalize his fledging reputation with one resounding victory over a marquee opponent.
Joe Calzaghe is that “marquee opponent” and, at this juncture, the Welshmen would get smoked by the Ohioan.
“A lot of fighters have four or five losses. I have two,” said Pavlik. “I know my next fight is important.”
Pavlik’s next fight is indeed extremely “important.”
If they do meet, expect “The Ghost” to knock “The Italian Dragon” onto Queer Street for his first ever loss.
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #73
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Actually, I don't think the Sky team were that off the ball. They were mocking his hands-down style because, quite simply, it was pretty ineffective on the night. He wasn’t drawing Barker into counter, and he wasn’t moving his head when Barker threw. They were just giving a brutal, but honest, assessment of him. And they were very right when they said he shouldn’t be mentioned on the same level as Pac and May, pound-for-pound wise.
They didn't just say Martinez didn't belong in the same sentence as Pacquiao and Margarito, they said he wasn't a P4P fighter...period. You agree with this? They also dismissed 09 as being a bad year for Martinez, failing to mention that he actually stopped Cintron, and that a lot of people had him beating Williams in their first fight. These are two pretty big points, I feel.

The SKY team were waving the British flag. No question about it.

Quote:
In boxing people only seem to judge you based on your last fight, mosley ko's margarito and everyone thinks he is awesome and a warrior, he runs vs pac and is a coward now according to many.
Sergio destroys williams and he is a god, struggles with barker and is an overrated bum.
The truth is more somewhere in the middle.
Good post. Absolutely.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #74
peakbay
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwighttsharpe View Post
Deservedly so really. He fought like an overachieving nobody. Really didn't belong in the ring for this fight.
see you next tuesday
peakbay is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #75
demigawd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

A fighter will always look bad against an opponent who is only interested in defending himself. Barker has an almost eastern europeean style of blocking all incoming fire and then every so often, when he's absolutely sure something will land, will fire back. It's an ugly style that makes for ugly fights and bad performances all around. Just look at Pacquiao-Clottey as a point of reference.

I'm clearly alone in thinking this, but I'm actually IMPRESSED by Martinez' performance. I didn't think he was going to KO Barker, and the fact that he did exceeded my expectations.

Martinez fought for two, and all things considered, turned in a very watchable performance.
demigawd is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum