Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
joeseph

vCash: 500
Default help for a semi-novice who is frustrated with his sparring

OK, i have started sparring more frequently now since there is some exhibition fight that I entered in to give me a taste of what it is to fight in a real environment. It's only one round but I want to treat it seriously in order to see if boxing is a sport that I want to concentrate more on in the future.

The problem is, i have absolutely no sparring partners that are in my weight range (59-60kg). So even though I am quite fluid and have good footwork, I end up getting rocked anytime I get close to the opponent. For example, I was sparring this guy yesterday who is about 20kg heavier than me but has had a lot less experience (he does those wild noob rushes where he just swings everywhere). Any time I attempted to get close, I copped many shots to the head which could have obviously been easily avoided.

So I'd like to get some advice on how a lighter and shorter (about 173cm) bloke like me would be able to use my speed to my advantage. Also some tips on what type of movements would allow me to get proximal without copping so many shots.

p.s. on hindsight i realise sparring that guy was not a good idea at all because of the weight difference, but I felt I had to get as much sparring practice in as possible so I can be ready for this fight in 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance guys
joeseph is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
lepinthehood
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100
Default Re: help for a semi-novice who is frustrated with his sparring

hey if your quick,fluid and have good footwork, this fighter should be snacks for you.
let your punches go quicker land first then retreat and dance around the ring, he should find it very hard to hit you. my mate is taller than me but weighs about 2stone less and he does his work then gets out of the way. no damage can be done if your not in distance. depends how quick you really are though my mate is quite a bit faster, no real power though, but the speed does stun.
lepinthehood is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeseph View Post
OK, i have started sparring more frequently now since there is some exhibition fight that I entered in to give me a taste of what it is to fight in a real environment. It's only one round but I want to treat it seriously in order to see if boxing is a sport that I want to concentrate more on in the future.

The problem is, i have absolutely no sparring partners that are in my weight range (59-60kg). So even though I am quite fluid and have good footwork, I end up getting rocked anytime I get close to the opponent. For example, I was sparring this guy yesterday who is about 20kg heavier than me but has had a lot less experience (he does those wild noob rushes where he just swings everywhere). Any time I attempted to get close, I copped many shots to the head which could have obviously been easily avoided.

So I'd like to get some advice on how a lighter and shorter (about 173cm) bloke like me would be able to use my speed to my advantage. Also some tips on what type of movements would allow me to get proximal without copping so many shots.

p.s. on hindsight i realise sparring that guy was not a good idea at all because of the weight difference, but I felt I had to get as much sparring practice in as possible so I can be ready for this fight in 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance guys
I see two ways to look at this as there are two types of guys. Guys who can avoid danger. Guys who can react to danger. Depending on which one of those you are? You have to modify your style accordingly.

Because you are getting hit and don't understand how/why? Sounds to me you are the first. You need to avoid danger because you can't see or anticipate it and deal with it. This means incorporating lots of BEFORE THE FACT head movement, a high responsible guard, and holding/clinching into your training.

Experience and/or natural gifts will allow you to react to danger, but it seems you don't have either. Hard to get the experience you need without the proper sparring. Nothing wrong with that, just train accordingly. First and foremost be honest with yourself. If you "ain't that dude"? Recognize that and change tactics accordingly. If you are asking how not to get hit? You ain't that dude.

Wow man try to work with experienced guys when you have that big a difference. No room for egos in that situation.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
joeseph

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
I see two ways to look at this as there are two types of guys. Guys who can avoid danger. Guys who can react to danger. Depending on which one of those you are? You have to modify your style accordingly.

Because you are getting hit and don't understand how/why? Sounds to me you are the first. You need to avoid danger because you can't see or anticipate it and deal with it. This means incorporating lots of BEFORE THE FACT head movement, a high responsible guard, and holding/clinching into your training.

Experience and/or natural gifts will allow you to react to danger, but it seems you don't have either. Hard to get the experience you need without the proper sparring. Nothing wrong with that, just train accordingly. First and foremost be honest with yourself. If you "ain't that dude"? Recognize that and change tactics accordingly. If you are asking how not to get hit? You ain't that dude.

Wow man try to work with experienced guys when you have that big a difference. No room for egos in that situation.
Yes thanks, I realised I need to incorporate more head movement and a higher guard. I'll also talk to the trainer on how to clinch since I have never done that before.
I probably didn't articulate the question well, since of course it is inevitable that I will be hit (it is boxing after all). I guess what I was trying to say was how to make getting hit worth it--landing good shots on the other. I also have a bad habit of looking down when getting pounded which further disadvantages my short height, so I do definitely need to work on that.

You're completely right about the ego point, I see humility as one of the most important qualities in boxing. I find it interesting that being too egotistical in such a testosterone fueled sport is actually a weakness since asking the bloke who just pummeled you "what did I do wrong/how was I so easy?" is crucial.

I will take your advice on board, thanks again, much appreciated!
joeseph is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing