Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #46
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 5,056
vCash: 500
Default Re: Ppv numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinorknitz View Post
Flomo changing the subject to save face?

No matter what you say, you can't change the fact that they are hiding Floyd v Ortiz numbers. 1.3M? I'm guessing 700k just like Pac Clottey.

And oh? After all those promotions? PPV Star my ass.
Lmao! Man you THAT shook you couldn't even quote me this time!

USA PPV record - De La Hoya vs Mayweather
UK PPV record - Mayweather vs Hatton

Common denominator : Floyd Mayweather!

Manny Pacquiao: No where to be seen

Whatever the figures are, good, bad or ugly we will find out! Until then pull your skirt up Pactart!
Emeritus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #47
PATSYS
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,184
vCash: 75
Default Re: Ppv numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceN View Post
from dan last week they just dont have enough info yet

ere is what Dan Rafel said in the chat on ESPN on Friday

Jon (NYC)

Any word on the Star Power PPV buys? Been two weeks and nothing from HBO or Golden Boy! Could it have done that bad?
Dan Rafael (12:24 PM)

I have been in touch with Richard Schaefer and HBO regularly. They simply do not have enough data yet from some huge systems to make an accurate report of the numbers. What people dont realize is that when numbers are announced they are done based on years of experience and extrapalation of numbers based on comparing fights to other similar fights and totals in certain markets. For whatever reason this fight has been harder than others. That said both Schaefer and HBO, without saying a specific number they do not have yet, both have told me that without question the fight is well over 1 million buys. The big question is how much over. They want to announce a number that they believe will be close enough to the real number and since it may be 1.3 or more and edge close to 2nd all-time non heavyweight they want to be right. By the same token, it could be 1.2 or 1.25 and not hit 1.3. They just want to be correct from what they both tell me. But the rumors and innuendo that it did poorly is just a load of crap.
That must be one ****ed up system if they need to extrapolate numbers and base on other similar fights.

How complicated can it be? All they need to do is add up all the orders booked in all systems, and those data I assume are all electronic..
PATSYS is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #48
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,897
vCash: 75
Default Re: Ppv numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by compukiller View Post
Well, according to Arum, it can take time to get these numbers, dealing with smaller cable systems and such.

"The reason Arum gave for the lag in getting pay-per-view numbers and for why he is unsure of more precise totals is because Showtime, largely out of the pay-per-view business in recent years, does not have the kind of database and expertise to extrapolate numbers like HBO does.

"We know we have a little over 1.3 million," Arum said. "What we don't have are some of the smaller cable systems. What I'm saying is I know we go to the bank counting a little over a 1.3 million. I know we'll go up from there. How much up, I have no experience in this. This was all done for us in the past by HBO, which had experience, charts and all kinds of data from past fights to compare the fight to. Showtime can't do it because they haven't done this in so long. They don't have the database that you need, but I'm feeling very, very happy because I know I've done at least 1.3 million.

"How far over we are remains to be seen, and I have no way to make a prediction. Obviously, on the outstanding systems we did something. So that will determine how much above 1.3 million. But I don't think we have enough outstanding numbers to say we will be over 1.4 million, so I think we will wind up somewhere between 1.3 and 1.4 million."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

BTW, these numbers were relased a month after the Pac-Mosley fight.
based on the underlined part, it's understandable that showtime had that much of delay with the figure. HBO meanwhile is more experienced already.
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #49
tinorknitz
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,171
vCash: 500
Default Re: Ppv numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
USA PPV record - De La Hoya vs Mayweather
UK PPV record - Mayweather vs Hatton

Common denominator : Floyd Mayweather!
OMG, that's new low. I didn't know you can be THAT stupid.

You mean, people watched ODLH vs Floyd because they wanna see Floyd and NOT De La Hoya?

And UK watched Floyd vs Hatton because they wanna see Floyd and NOT Hatton?

Try again asswipe.
tinorknitz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #50
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,897
vCash: 75
Default Re: Ppv numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post


I really dont know if this fight has done good or bad, whatever it has done it is what it is!

But for Pacquiao fans to be gloating is stupid especially since we STILL dont have official numbers for Pacquiao vs Mosely and that was what May 2011?

So you pactards need to fall back, what did Pac vs Clottey do? 700k huh

So nothing for you to get all giddy about

pacquiao-clottey was without a 24/7 series and heavy promotions and hype that comes from a floyd fight though. basically the 700k was all pacquiao selling power fighting an unknown african fighter.
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #51
Leonard
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 1147
Default Re: Ppv numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
Lmao! Man you THAT shook you couldn't even quote me this time!

USA PPV record - De La Hoya vs Mayweather
UK PPV record - Mayweather vs Hatton

Common denominator : Floyd Mayweather!

Manny Pacquiao: No where to be seen

Whatever the figures are, good, bad or ugly we will find out! Until then pull your skirt up Pactart!
disagree.. floyd played the villain really hard against oscar and hatton who had the biggest following in their respective countries. people came to see oscar win and people came to see hatton win. floyd played a big part with all his theatrics but is not the sole reason.
Leonard is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #52
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 5,056
vCash: 500
Default Re: Ppv numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post
pacquiao-clottey was without a 24/7 series and heavy promotions and hype that comes from a floyd fight though. basically the 700k was all pacquiao selling power fighting an unknown african fighter.
As I have said before I dont know what the numbers are, maybe they are bad? Who knows at the moment its nothing more than speculation and hope on some posters behalf!

When we get the official number and HBO/GBP will give us the official number unlike Top Rank then we can argue about it.

All these Pactarts running around gloating will be crying into their pillows if next week we find out it did 1.3 Million, (me personally I dont care much)

PPV sales do not create a good fighter or good match ups
Emeritus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #53
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 5,056
vCash: 500
Default Re: Ppv numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
disagree.. floyd played the villain really hard against oscar and hatton who had the biggest following in their respective countries. people came to see oscar win and people came to see hatton win. floyd played a big part with all his theatrics but is not the sole reason.
Who said Floyd was the sole reason for those figures? I'm from the UK so I'm fully aware of Floyds popularity over here.

The fact is he IS popular whether people like it or not he can sell PPV like no other at the moment.

Is he the PPV GOAT nope that probably goes to Tyson or Oscar but to say he is NOT a PPV star is stupid when the facts say otherwise!
Emeritus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #54
Mr. Sandman
27-2 (21 KO)
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 636
vCash: 75
Default Re: Ppv numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
Lmao! Man you THAT shook you couldn't even quote me this time!

USA PPV record - De La Hoya vs Mayweather

UK PPV record - Mayweather vs Hatton

Common denominator : Floyd Mayweather!

Manny Pacquiao: No where to be seen

Whatever the figures are, good, bad or ugly we will find out! Until then pull your skirt up Pactart!

Interesting you bring this up. How many times since has Mayweather managed to match that number or come anywhere close?
Mr. Sandman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #55
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 5,056
vCash: 500
Default Re: Ppv numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post
based on the underlined part, it's understandable that showtime had that much of delay with the figure. HBO meanwhile is more experienced already.
What do you mean THAT much of a delay you DO realise they NEVER released official figures we all just accepted Bob Arums figure!
Emeritus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #56
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 5,056
vCash: 500
Default Re: Ppv numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
Interesting you bring this up. How many times since has Mayweather managed to match that number or come anywhere close?
Neither fighter before or after have come anywhere near that number.

The only chance I see of Floyd doing that kind of number is with Pacquiao or maybe with Canelo in a few years time.
Emeritus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #57
tarugojones
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: INMATE#01363917
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 75
Default Re: Ppv numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeritus View Post
Who said Floyd was the sole reason for those figures? I'm from the UK so I'm fully aware of Floyds popularity over here.

The fact is he IS popular whether people like it or not he can sell PPV like no other at the moment.

Is he the PPV GOAT nope that probably goes to Tyson or Oscar but to say he is NOT a PPV star is stupid when the facts say otherwise!
I heard it did 50k buys( Floyd/Ortiz fight ) in UK.
tarugojones is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #58
compukiller
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,091
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ppv numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post
based on the underlined part, it's understandable that showtime had that much of delay with the figure. HBO meanwhile is more experienced already.
Showtime has had no problems with PPV numbers in the past.
compukiller is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #59
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 5,056
vCash: 500
Default Re: Ppv numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarugojones View Post
I heard it did 50k buys( Floyd/Ortiz fight ) in UK.
I dont know where you heard that from because Primetime doesn't release PPV numbers. Only sky did!
Emeritus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013