Old 10-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #61
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 84
Default Re: Calzaghes best win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
So to you Mkergger['';[];92][cdvjn is "world-class" because of one fight, where he beat a fighter who never, ever fought for a world title?

That is to you a "world-class" fighter?
Many fighters can beat a fighter that did or didnt fight for a world title, but it is about results where you find levels. Lacy was a world champ and when in the top 3 looked lucky to many against Tsypko, who lost to Chanet who lost to Mkertchyan.
When I say results consider that Mkertchyan has 3 losses and two were to fighters who were or became world champs. The only other loss was a close SD to a European champ who has beaten fighters that have fought for world titles.
Many people consider G Johnson to be a world rated SMW but he has a terrible SMW resume, far less than Mkertchyans.
Some people consider undefeated 25-0 19KOs P Quillin as a top 10 SMW and you could say he has beaten fighters who have fought for world titles, but I wouldnt rate any of those fighters he has beaten better than Chanet who Mger beat.
Its not me that rated Mger but he did score a very good win and then had a few others not as good but showed he was better than average Sobot by 2nd round KO (he did challenge for a world title) & F Barr. Not the best name wins but dealt with in the right way.

So to you then, do you think beating a fighter that has contested for a world title makes someone world class?
bailey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #62
Hiro
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Kessler - Hopkins - Eubank - Lacy
Hiro is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #63
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auracle21 View Post
he beat alotta euro trash who wouldnt have done much in the global scene. he has very few top wins to be honest. not much to choose from.
Auracle will claim Im on his ignore list, mainly because he is a coward and knows he wont be able to answer my questions. Watch.

Now who were these Euro trash fighters that wouldnt have done much on the world scene?
bailey is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #64
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Many fighters can beat a fighter that did or didnt fight for a world title, but it is about results where you find levels. Lacy was a world champ and when in the top 3 looked lucky to many against Tsypko, who lost to Chanet who lost to Mkertchyan.
When I say results consider that Mkertchyan has 3 losses and two were to fighters who were or became world champs. The only other loss was a close SD to a European champ who has beaten fighters that have fought for world titles.
Many people consider G Johnson to be a world rated SMW but he has a terrible SMW resume, far less than Mkertchyans.
Some people consider undefeated 25-0 19KOs P Quillin as a top 10 SMW and you could say he has beaten fighters who have fought for world titles, but I wouldnt rate any of those fighters he has beaten better than Chanet who Mger beat.
Its not me that rated Mger but he did score a very good win and then had a few others not as good but showed he was better than average Sobot by 2nd round KO (he did challenge for a world title) & F Barr. Not the best name wins but dealt with in the right way.

So to you then, do you think beating a fighter that has contested for a world title makes someone world class?
Honestly Bailey, this is one of the weakest posts I've ever read, and I am genuinely NOT saying this out of personal dislike for you. It absolutely reeks of bias, because the argument you are putting forward is just so, so feeble.

So Mkertchyan is world-class because he beat Chanet who beat Typsko who lost to a shot Jeff Lacy?

This is the most bizarre reasoning I think I've ever witnessed.

Mkertchyan is world-class because he beat a guy who wasn't world-class who beat another guy who wasn't world-class who lost to a shot version of a guy who used to be world-class.

Leaving that your thoroughly strange logic aside for a moment, after studying Mkertchyan's record a bit more I am completely dumbstruck by your assertion that he was world-class.

In short:

- Mkertchyan never won a world title, his record in world title fights was 0-1 (1 KO)

- Mkertchyan lost the European title he won in his first defence, he never defended it once successfully

- Mkertchyan had 26 fights in his career, do you know how many of them were against fighters with over 25 fights of their own?

FOUR!!

Calzaghe (who stopped him), Freeman Barr (25-2, never fought for a world title), Jackson Chanet (26-0, never fought for a world title), and Eliseo Nogueira (13-44-3 record!).

The rest were all against guys who had less than 25 fights.

Do you know how many fighters out of the 26 did not have winning records?

TWELVE
(and even then, of the winning records one was 6-5-1 and one was 6-4-2!!)

On reflection, is this the career of a "world-class" fighter? Really?
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #65
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Honestly Bailey, this is one of the weakest posts I've ever read, and I am genuinely NOT saying this out of personal dislike for you. It absolutely reeks of bias, because the argument you are putting forward is just so, so feeble.

So Mkertchyan is world-class because he beat Chanet who beat Typsko who lost to a shot Jeff Lacy?
How was Lacy shot? He was bookies favourite world champ in his previous fight.
Quote:
This is the most bizarre reasoning I think I've ever witnessed.

Mkertchyan is world-class because he beat a guy who wasn't world-class who beat another guy who wasn't world-class who lost to a shot version of a guy who used to be world-class
I wasnt the one who put Mkertchyan in the top 10, but as noted it was more than just the Chanet win who was world class

Quote:
- Mkertchyan never won a world title, his record in world title fights was 0-1 (1 KO)
Bika never won a world title and is 0-2 in challenging for them, but he is in the top 10 and without a win as good as Chanet
Quote:
- Mkertchyan lost the European title he won in his first defence, he never defended it once successfully
I know he lost it by close SD. So what, its more than A Dirrell has achieved

Quote:
- Mkertchyan had 26 fights in his career, do you know how many of them were against fighters with over 25 fights of their own?

FOUR!!

Calzaghe (who stopped him), Freeman Barr (25-2, never fought for a world title), Jackson Chanet (26-0, never fought for a world title), and Eliseo Nogueira (13-44-3 record!).

The rest were all against guys who had less than 25 fights.
That is often the case, many fighters have to have stay busy fights to earn money. Just look at some of the fights S Martinez had to engage in
Would it have been better if a fighter that was 35-10? Or had a terrible G Johnson SMW resume?
Quote:
Do you know how many fighters out of the 26 did not have winning records?

TWELVE
(and even then, of the winning records one was 6-5-1 and one was 6-4-2!!)

As said that happens. Fighters need to earn money so take fights to earn.

Quote:
On reflection, is this the career of a "world-class" fighter? Really?
I didnt put him in the top 10.
But as said Mkertchyan did beat a couple of world rated opponents and that got him in the top 10.

Now Popkins I noticed how you ducked my questions and points

Levels Lacy was a world champ and when in the top 3 looked lucky to many against Tsypko, who lost to Chanet who lost to Mkertchyan. You call Lacy shot .

Also you dont note how Mkertchyan beat common opponents better than many fighters who you would know.
Beat Barr quicker than Brewer, Sobot quicker than Calzaghe.
Took undefeated Chanets 0
And did win the European SMW title, a respected belt that DeGale is now challenging for after losing to a lesser fighter than the 2 that Mger had lost to when challenging and to a not as respected champ

Yep Mger had his short time in the top 10 and it wasnt me that put him in there
bailey is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #66
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[quote=bailey;10909954]
Quote:
How was Lacy shot? He was bookies favourite world champ in his previous fight.
I wasnt the one who put Mkertchyan in the top 10, but as noted it was more than just the Chanet win who was world class

Bika never won a world title and is 0-2 in challenging for them, but he is in the top 10 and without a win as good as Chanet
I know he lost it by close SD. So what, its more than A Dirrell has achieved

That is often the case, many fighters have to have stay busy fights to earn money. Just look at some of the fights S Martinez had to engage in
Would it have been better if a fighter that was 35-10? Or had a terrible G Johnson SMW resume?

As said that happens. Fighters need to earn money so take fights to earn.

I didnt put him in the top 10.
But as said Mkertchyan did beat a couple of world rated opponents and that got him in the top 10.

Now Popkins I noticed how you ducked my questions and points

Levels Lacy was a world champ and when in the top 3 looked lucky to many against Tsypko, who lost to Chanet who lost to Mkertchyan. You call Lacy shot .

Also you dont note how Mkertchyan beat common opponents better than many fighters who you would know.
Beat Barr quicker than Brewer, Sobot quicker than Calzaghe.
Took undefeated Chanets 0
And did win the European SMW title, a respected belt that DeGale is now challenging for after losing to a lesser fighter than the 2 that Mger had lost to when challenging and to a not as respected champ

Yep Mger had his short time in the top 10 and it wasnt me that put him in there
It's OK, I made a thread on this issue so we don't have to keep clogging this one up with the debate.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #67
The_President
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Calzaghe's best win was when he scored a ounce from a London dealer and got a free 8th due to the use of a faulty scale. He bragged about that for weeks, but the next time the scale was an 8th low and he smoked it up to quickly.
The_President is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #68
AnotherFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_President View Post
Calzaghe's best win was when he scored a ounce from a London dealer and got a free 8th due to the use of a faulty scale. He bragged about that for weeks, but the next time the scale was an 8th low and he smoked it up to quickly.
Thank you for your input. Have anything to ad apart from this rant? (bump)
AnotherFan is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #69
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 7230

Hopkins without a doubt.

Then Kessler and Lacy.
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #70
christo