Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 227381
Default Re: Anthony Joshua fight starting in a few mins...link here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Lost in the final by 1 point I think.
Cheers Gaz .

Pity he lost but a brilliant performance over all.
ImElvis666 is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #33
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

This kids defence is alarming.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #34
Gary Barlow
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
This kids defence is alarming.
Hes not that good in reality, i checked him out today due to everyone jizzing over him. He has a shocking defence, and a dodgy chin imo. He was on jelly legs a few times, yet when he landed full shots the white dude was never troubled.

Poor defence
Dodgy chin
Lacking power

Exactly what qualifys him to be the next Ali
Gary Barlow is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #35
WalletInspector
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barlow View Post
Poor defence
Dodgy chin
Lacking power

Exactly what qualifys him to be the next Ali
That would qualify him to be the next Audley pretty well.
WalletInspector is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #36
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Its the first time I've seen him and there plenty to work on. Time is on his side though.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #37
vegasjim
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

eggboxers right,joshua was well beat in semis,justice done
vegasjim is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 01:05 AM   #38
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

He definitely won the final round IMO, but he comfortably lost the semi and I've got to say I was not particularly impressed with what I've seen.

He is green and so can improve a lot, but he didn't look anything like as powerful as he had been made out to be and he was definitely hurt a couple of times and was stopped in the European Championships.

That's slightly worrying for his pro credentials, but these things do improve although can't see him being a fearsome puncher like people were suggesting.

His stamina was pretty shit too, but that is definitely something that will improve with time and experience and so will his defence and other technical aspects.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 05:28 AM   #39
rooq
East Side Guru

why do people think he comfortably lost in the semi's? that was the one which was stopped in the first due to his opponents nose continuously bleeding...i think joshua was 4-1 up at the time of the stoppage.

considering he's had just over 30 am fights and took up the sport 4 years ago, he's not done too badly. he gave the Italian a better fight than David Price at the Olympics and has just taken the experienced WSB number 1 superheavy the distance.

obviously he still has lots of flaws, but taking his experience and age into account he's done good.
rooq is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 05:59 AM   #40
TYSON DURAN
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooq View Post
why do people think he comfortably lost in the semi's? that was the one which was stopped in the first due to his opponents nose continuously bleeding...i think joshua was 4-1 up at the time of the stoppage.

considering he's had just over 30 am fights and took up the sport 4 years ago, he's not done too badly. he gave the Italian a better fight than David Price at the Olympics and has just taken the experienced WSB number 1 superheavy the distance.

obviously he still has lots of flaws, but taking his experience and age into account he's done good.

I totally agree

I thought he did enough in the last round to win. I don't think it's so much that he has a bad defence he just seemed to get drawn into a brawl to easily. The first round when he worked behind the jab he looked fairly comfortable. In the second round for whatever reason he stopped using it, maybe thinking he could get the guy out of there. He took some massive shots off a big puncher and yes his legs did buckle but he showed he was in shape by recovering quickly.

He's young, inexperienced and he will learn alot from this tournement. He has another year to make adjustments before the Olympics.
TYSON DURAN is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #41
Bunce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

How the hell has he got a dodgy chin?
His opponent in final drops the Cuban about a thousand times and stops and drops a couple of others at the Worlds, has stoppages galore in the World Series of Boxing, which is fought without a vest or headguard over five rounds of three minutes each round, and he catches Josh by the ear and it leads to an 8 count and yet some people declare that he has a 'dodgy chin'. That is quite amazing. Come on, that's crazy!

Adios.

Adios.
Bunce is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #42
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunce View Post
His opponent in final drops the Cuban about a thousand times and stops and drops a couple of others at the Worlds, has stoppages galore in the World Series of Boxing, which is fought without a vest or headguard over five rounds of three minutes each round, and he catches Josh by the ear and it leads to an 8 count and yet some people declare that he has a 'dodgy chin'. That is quite amazing. Come on, that's crazy!

Adios.

Adios.
Not dodgy, but not someone who I would list "chin" as one of his attributes. And it's not down to getting rocked by his opponent in the final he was stopped in the Euros too.

It's a small worry, nothing major and something that might improve anyway. Tua was stopped as an amateur and we all saw how his chin was in the pros, Holmes too. Look at Khan, starched by Prescott but clear improvement to the point that he survived bombs from Maidana.

But the raw goods with Joshua did not look AS good as I had hoped. The technical things are nothing to worry about as he is a novice and getting a silver is a brilliant achievement and he has a great shot at the Olympics for sure. But I kind of hoped to see someone green but who looked like he would become a great pro and instead I kind of felt that he was someone green who might become a great amateur.

The power did not look special in any of the fights I saw and the chin does not look like it's a huge plus point in the way that say Frochs chin was from day one.

But not wanting to sound negative, he did great all in all and he has fast hands and is at a great level considering his experience.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 02:46 AM   #43
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Good fighter. I wish his muscles were on his lower body instead of his upper body.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 04:28 AM   #44
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunce View Post

Adios.

Adios.
I wouldn't go as far as to say he has a 'dodgy chin', Steve. Although getting rocked numerous times with a headguard on, having been stopped before aswell is not a good look. But what's more alarming for me is how clean he gets hit. Defence is one of the hardest things to improve. It means with such a porous defence he has to be amazing in so many other areas. Having solid whiskers is one of them.
slip&counter is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum