Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
mrjotatp4p
THE ONE
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Chris Bryd

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8A5A4x2XhA&feature=related[/ame] You guys remember this fight? I was at this one and felt bad for Chris.
mrjotatp4p is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Borincano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Chris Bryd

Very sad. Did not like Tarver's comments. Saying that it had nothing to do with losing weight, but wars at HW instead. Hiding the fact RJJ had the same issue on their first fight. Byrd look horrible and like he hadn't eaten in weeks.
Borincano is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
bobcats
Journeyman

He had lost so much muscles just to cut weight. i was sad too. He is a classy guy.
bobcats is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
The Phenom
TitoTrinidad Take Me Home
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcats View Post
He had lost so much muscles just to cut weight. i was sad too. He is a classy guy.
Byrd had good wins against Holyfield and Tua but I will always remember him as the guy who got a draw with a past prime Andrew Golota.
The Phenom is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Horrible career move for Chris. He was just 38, and while there was no way he was getting his IBF belt back from Wladimir, his loss to Potvetkin, was competitive before the stoppage and it appeared he still had an out and some $$$ to be made in the division.....perhaps as a gatekeeper, fringe contender etc. But I fear the beating Wladimir put on him, followed by being beaten by a solid, but still semigreen Potvetkin really put it in his head that he was too small to compete at HW.
The speed is the first thing to go on a HW, and Byrd's was gone, but his defense was sold as ever, and he could've gone on to give us some decents fights in the HW rankings, Meehan, Ruiz, Holy, Valuev etc. Or he could have dropped to 200, maintained his mediocre power, but excellent defense and solid shin and possibly competed with the Mormecks and Greens of that class. I dunno...I just thought that was a horrible decision to try to go so small, esp after 15 yrs at 200+. He looked almost robotic in there. Very predictable and horribly slow.
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
MichiganWarrior
Still Slick! Still Black!
East Side VIP

vCash: 571

An average middleweight went up to heavyweight and had a decent career. Shows how crap that division was and has been.
MichiganWarrior is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
mrjotatp4p
THE ONE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownfightfan View Post
Horrible career move for Chris. He was just 38, and while there was no way he was getting his IBF belt back from Wladimir, his loss to Potvetkin, was competitive before the stoppage and it appeared he still had an out and some $$$ to be made in the division.....perhaps as a gatekeeper, fringe contender etc. But I fear the beating Wladimir put on him, followed by being beaten by a solid, but still semigreen Potvetkin really put it in his head that he was too small to compete at HW.
The speed is the first thing to go on a HW, and Byrd's was gone, but his defense was sold as ever, and he could've gone on to give us some decents fights in the HW rankings, Meehan, Ruiz, Holy, Valuev etc. Or he could have dropped to 200, maintained his mediocre power, but excellent defense and solid shin and possibly competed with the Mormecks and Greens of that class. I dunno...I just thought that was a horrible decision to try to go so small, esp after 15 yrs at 200+. He looked almost robotic in there. Very predictable and horribly slow.
mrjotatp4p is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
Peril
Belt holder
ESB Addict

he should have gone to cruserweight really. light heavy was a mistake
Peril is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
liljp361
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yes it was unfortunate to watch but he was a favorite of mine to watch as a heavyweight
liljp361 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
J.R.
No Mames Guey
East Side Guru

vCash: 107

Yes, I do. I remember thinking that George prolonged the beating Byrd took because he didn't go for the kill earlier.
J.R. is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
turbina
Polska Siła
ESB Addict

vCash: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phenom View Post
Byrd had good wins against Holyfield and Tua but I will always remember him as the guy who got a draw with a past prime Andrew Golota.
Who was gifted a draw **

fixed.
turbina is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
Borincano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phenom View Post

I was there at that fight and felt something in the aire so my brother and I left MSG before the cards were read. Polish folks are die hard boxing fans and I heard it was ugly when the verdict was read. I think Golota was cursed. He should have won a HW title at least two to three times.
Borincano is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum