Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
PhonyGamboa
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Jarrad Woods: "Ortiz had planned to fight Floyd dirty, wanted Floyd's elbows stopped

VICTOR ORTIZ SET HIMSELF UP TO BE KO’D BY FLOYD MAYWEATHER!

By Jarrad Woods

PLAN TO BE VICIOUS BACKFIRES ON ORTIZ
New York, NY= Controversy follows new WBC champ, Floyd Mayweather (42-0, 26 KOs) like his Twitter fans and last nights bout with Victor Ortiz proved no different. Although many fans remain divided on the merit of his victory over former champ, Victor Ortiz (29-3-2, 22KOs), I don’t believe he was in the wrong. Floyd Mayweather cleanly won his bout via a clean knockout despite many calling it classless. Below are the reasons why.
VICTOR PLANNED TO FIGHT DIRTY
When I saw Victor purposely head butt Floyd, I was not surprised. This is due to the fact that Joseph Santoliquito of Ring Magazine let the cat out of the bag a few days before the fight. He released information on a boxing podcast and mentioned that Victor slipped with him a bit. He let Joe know that he planned to fight dirty. At the time, I thought it was an interesting revelation as Santoliquito appeared sure that fouls were absolutely in the game plan for Team Ortiz.
VICTOR WANTED ‘ELBOW ROOM’ TO JUSTIFY FOULS
What made the planned fouls more interesting is the fact that Danny Garcia and team Ortiz complained on HBO’s 24/7 and immediately before the fight to referee, Joe Cortez about Floyd’s use of his elbows. As a precursor, they painted Floyd as a cheater who unfairly used his elbows to win fights. Although there were no obvious elbow infractions in last nights bout, it’s telling that Victor lead with a fowl of his own, almost as a planned counter attack to throw Floyd out of rhythm. This was clearly a fowl that was the first of many planned for the evening.
THE KNOCKOUT WAS CLEAN & CONVINCING
The first rule of boxing is, ‘Protect Yourself At All Times’. If you know anything about the sport, you know this phrase. So why would anyone be surprised that Ortiz was clocked for standing in front of his opponent with his hands down. Floyd has taken advantage of previous opponents for this infraction before. I remember Floyd knocking down Arturo Gatti in a similar circumstance as well as punching Shane Mosley the same way in his last bout. It’s clearly a part of Floyd’s arsenal and if Ortiz had half a brain he would has been prepared for that.

ORTIZ SETS HIMSELF UP TO
LOSE!
While I am disappointed in how the fight ended, I can’t say that Floyd’s two piece special was totally classless due to the reasons above. I am more surprised that Ortiz was unable to recover and that he planned on fouling his opponent in the first place in order to win. It obviously backfired and he has no one to blame but himself. He didn’t look like he cared either way and at the end of the day, that’s just who he is.
Jarrad Woods
PhonyGamboa is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
saul_ir34
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 675
Default Re: Jarrad Woods: "Ortiz had planned to fight Floyd dirty, wanted Floyd's elbows stop

Actually there was a few elbows before the head butts. There was a very blatant elbow right before the big headbutt. Of course people have become so used to PBFs tactics that they fail to mention it.
saul_ir34 is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
LA IRISHMAN
Journeyman

Default Re: Jarrad Woods: "Ortiz had planned to fight Floyd dirty, wanted Floyd's elbows stop

No more about that fiasco!!!! I never want to see ortiz in the ring. Him kissing floyd is evident of his lack of respect for the sport of boxing.
LA IRISHMAN is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

What a biased article.

PHONY KD'd Arturo and hit him 4 times after the ref said to stop fighting. Not the same situation. Same thing for Mosley, only a little less disgraceful.

As for the elbowing in the Ortiz fight....this author needs to actually watch the fight. I counted 42 illegal bows, and 12 below the waist ducks, causing Ortiz to hit behind the head or on the back.

Absolute nuthuggery to the fullest.
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
blud_shot_eyezz
Journeyman

There wasn't no damn elbows "thrown" by Floyd, if so, there should have been a warning or two. It's obvious Floyd uses his elbows to get his opponent off of him to create some room, just like in the Hatton fight.
blud_shot_eyezz is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
blud_shot_eyezz
Journeyman

42 illegal blows? LMFAO, yeah right. 42?
Old 10-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
Concrete
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Mayweather wasn't even complaining about earlier intentional head butts, he knew exactly what Ortiz was doing. The game plan wasn't bad to try and throw him off rhythm by trying to sneak in headbutts. Ortiz just wasn't clever enough to hide the obvious or got to emotional during the fight to keep his composure.

Not only was he head butting but was punching the back of the head as well and used an elbow of his own.
Concrete is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 400

Floyd KO4 Ortiz
bballchump11 is online now  Top
Old 10-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
blud_shot_eyezz
Journeyman

I agree with Jarrad Woods, Ortiz's plan to fight dirty backfired bigtime. Ortiz was using his head the whole fight and was even warned before he leaped with his head. He clearly used his head as a weapon and busted Floyd's mouth. Ortiz got what he deserved!!
Old 10-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
arkitek1977
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

42 wins you mean.
arkitek1977 is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
randomwalk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 86

was it a freudian slip that the TS referred to fowls and Mayweather in his post?
randomwalk is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum