Old 07-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #47
gregluland
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Cool Re: Les Darcy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
No Probs mate i just wish i had copies of it to pass around to you blokes , Darcy looked a fantastic young fighter , apparentley in this article he absoulutley ruined the next HEAVYWEIGHT champ of the world in sparring ...
He was the best and that was Fred Fulton, way too good. He looks even better in the McGoorty film, in fact he was blowing away another great fighter there and looks nigh unbeatable. I used to speak back 28 years ago to some old blokes who saw him, they all said he was the best fighter they'd ever seen.
gregluland is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #48
gregluland
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Les Darcy.

Quote:
The scene could have come straight out of a Cecil B. De-Mille epic. As far as the eye could see the plains of Australia, parched and wavering in the sun, stretched like an explosive yellow rug. Wallabys and kangaroos hopped, curious, around the lip of the deep granite quarry, and a ring of naked bush-men peering into the white cauldron that served as a natural amphitheatre.
Around the bottom and sides of the quarry sat several hundred people. Miners, hunters, ranchers. They were a tough crowd. Some of them had come for miles to see the fights, held weekly in the quarry near Maitland, New South Wales. They insisted on getting their money's worth.
They got it that day in 1912. For one of the bouts was between a rugged middleweight from the Maitland mining district and a handsome 150 pound youth named James Leslie Darcy. It was Darcy's first professional fight, after he had made a shambles of the Australian amateur ranks. He was spotting his burly opponent fifteen pounds. His rep*utation was good; however, the rough crowd knew he was only an amateur—they expected to see a legal slaughter.
And that's exactly what they saw. But not quite as they had anticipated.
In the first round, young Darcy put on as pretty a boxing exhibition as ever seen in Australia, which is quite a mouthful when you consider that Australia produced Bob Fitzsimmons, Frank Slavin, Young Griffo and Peter Jackson. "He's a good upstanding young ?un," the crowd agreed, "but wait till the'other'n gets his measure—he'll be crocodile bait!"
Round two came up. The ring-wise miner sprang forward and around his intended victim so that the sun was in Dairy's eyes. Obviously he planned to knock the kid out at once. It was the kind of fight that went best with this blood-thirsty crowd. Suddenly, something seemed to explode in the ring. With a great roar the throng came to its feet as if one unit. For Les Darcy had catapulted forward as though stung by a tarantula, arms flailing and legs pumping like pistons, driving his man back against the ropes. A dozen punches landed on the surprised fighter's face and head. He was unconscious at the third or fourth, but each succeeding punch pinned him onto the ropes so that he could not fall. Finally the referee saved him—probably saved his life—and pushed the maddened Darcy to his own corner. He didn't even bother counting over the fallen man; he just called for his seconds to come forward and carry him away.
Thus began the ring career of Les Darcy, who was just sixteen years old at the time.
Six years later—a short span in any man's life, short even in the career of a fighter—Darcy had won 92 of 96 bouts (53 by knockout); fought and beaten Australia's best middleweights, light heavyweights and heavyweights; beaten the top-flight Americans who dared go to Australia to fight him; built a world-wide reputation without leaving his native soil; responded finally to countless offers by sailing for America; ruined a leading American heavyweight in an exhibition. And at the end of those six packed years Les Darcy was dead.
But he did not die of a broken heart! Not Les Darcy. And it's time the lie was given the dozen of writers who have capitalized on a sympathetic character and done him a rash injustice. "When he left his own country," the stories say,

More to follow soon lads .
I am very surprised to read that. To be honest, in all the years reading about him, I've never heard of Les having ANY amateur fights. His very first proper fight was against 'Guv'nor Balsa in a professional contest, Les was 14 and most records have him at 50 fights, 46 wins. At his Grave memorial states 56 fights, 52 wins. I would kove to see the other 40 fights listed somewhere, if Josey can help to elaborate. Maybe the yanks were wrong but it'd be awesome if he did. cheers mate
Old 07-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #49
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Hello Greg , Thanks for the props in your message and welcome to ESB mate however I would at this point like to point out the article I put up in this thread was something I stumbled across in an old RING mag from the 50's if I recall correctly and I am by no means an expert on the GREAT man but there are quiet a few here on thus board who can help you out I've no doubt . All the best and like I said , Welcome to ESB .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2011, 06:05 PM   #50
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Got the Peter Fitzsimmons book on Les Darcy here somewhere and will have a look at what Fitzsimmons says about Darcy's early career, and in particular amateur fights.

...but do you reckon I can find the book at the moment - bugger!
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #51
Bugger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregluland View Post
I am very surprised to read that. To be honest, in all the years reading about him, I've never heard of Les having ANY amateur fights. His very first proper fight was against 'Guv'nor Balsa in a professional contest, Les was 14 and most records have him at 50 fights, 46 wins. At his Grave memorial states 56 fights, 52 wins. I would kove to see the other 40 fights listed somewhere, if Josey can help to elaborate. Maybe the yanks were wrong but it'd be awesome if he did. cheers mate

Yeah i noticed that too, never heard of any amateur bouts before.

Thanks for the article Josey, it was a great read.

Darcy was the greatest we produced. I'm not actually sure if his name is remembered as well as it once was. I have always been a believer that his story should be taught in primary school, no kid should grow up in Australia not knowing about the man Les Darcy.
Bugger is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #52
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
Yeah i noticed that too, never heard of any amateur bouts before.

Thanks for the article Josey, it was a great read.

Darcy was the greatest we produced. I'm not actually sure if his name is remembered as well as it once was. I have always been a believer that his story should be taught in primary school, no kid should grow up in Australia not knowing about the man Les Darcy.

Crikies Bugger, I curse with the word 'bugger' in a post above and there you are mate - what a segue!

Found my Fitzsimmons' book - 'The Ballad of Les Darcy' - had a quick scan through and can't see any metion of amateur fights for Les.

The first fight Fitz seems to refer to is the Balzer fight, which really sounds nothing more than a fight between a 21 year old worker and a 15 year old fellow worker.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #53
Bugger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
Crikies Bugger, I curse with the word 'bugger' in a post above and there you are mate - what a segue!

Found my Fitzsimmons' book - 'The Ballad of Les Darcy' - had a quick scan through and can't see any metion of amateur fights for Les.

The first fight Fitz seems to refer to is the Balzer fight, which really sounds nothing more than a fight between a 21 year old worker and a 15 year old fellow worker.
I come when im called apon mate

How did you find the Fitz book mate? I've been meaning to give it a crack.
Bugger is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #54
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugger View Post
I come when im called apon mate

How did you find the Fitz book mate? I've been meaning to give it a crack.

Well researched, well written and worth the read IMO.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:25 AM   #55
sallywinder
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

here is an important historical document...just so we dont lose it...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
sallywinder is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #56
gregluland
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
The scene could have come straight out of a Cecil B. De-Mille epic. As far as the eye could see the plains of Australia, parched and wavering in the sun, stretched like an explosive yellow rug. Wallabys and kangaroos hopped, curious, around the lip of the deep granite quarry, and a ring of naked bush-men peering into the white cauldron that served as a natural amphitheatre.
Around the bottom and sides of the quarry sat several hundred people. Miners, hunters, ranchers. They were a tough crowd. Some of them had come for miles to see the fights, held weekly in the quarry near Maitland, New South Wales. They insisted on getting their money's worth.
They got it that day in 1912. For one of the bouts was between a rugged middleweight from the Maitland mining district and a handsome 150 pound youth named James Leslie Darcy. It was Darcy's first professional fight, after he had made a shambles of the Australian amateur ranks. He was spotting his burly opponent fifteen pounds. His rep*utation was good; however, the rough crowd knew he was only an amateur—they expected to see a legal slaughter.
And that's exactly what they saw. But not quite as they had anticipated.
In the first round, young Darcy put on as pretty a boxing exhibition as ever seen in Australia, which is quite a mouthful when you consider that Australia produced Bob Fitzsimmons, Frank Slavin, Young Griffo and Peter Jackson. "He's a good upstanding young ?un," the crowd agreed, "but wait till the'other'n gets his measure—he'll be crocodile bait!"
Round two came up. The ring-wise miner sprang forward and around his intended victim so that the sun was in Dairy's eyes. Obviously he planned to knock the kid out at once. It was the kind of fight that went best with this blood-thirsty crowd. Suddenly, something seemed to explode in the ring. With a great roar the throng came to its feet as if one unit. For Les Darcy had catapulted forward as though stung by a tarantula, arms flailing and legs pumping like pistons, driving his man back against the ropes. A dozen punches landed on the surprised fighter's face and head. He was unconscious at the third or fourth, but each succeeding punch pinned him onto the ropes so that he could not fall. Finally the referee saved him—probably saved his life—and pushed the maddened Darcy to his own corner. He didn't even bother counting over the fallen man; he just called for his seconds to come forward and carry him away.
Thus began the ring career of Les Darcy, who was just sixteen years old at the time.
Six years later—a short span in any man's life, short even in the career of a fighter—Darcy had won 92 of 96 bouts (53 by knockout); fought and beaten Australia's best middleweights, light heavyweights and heavyweights; beaten the top-flight Americans who dared go to Australia to fight him; built a world-wide reputation without leaving his native soil; responded finally to countless offers by sailing for America; ruined a leading American heavyweight in an exhibition. And at the end of those six packed years Les Darcy was dead.
But he did not die of a broken heart! Not Les Darcy. And it's time the lie was given the dozen of writers who have capitalized on a sympathetic character and done him a rash injustice. "When he left his own country," the stories say,

More to follow soon lads .
I remember that article now, I'm sure it was syndicated in some US newspapers. I remember there were many mistakes, like his first pro fight, almost a bantamweight against a LW who was 28 while Darcy was 14, and it was 1910...... also most people know that Les never had even ONE amateur bout, he even got paid for tent fights where he had 3 bouts in 3 days but rightfully they are not counted on his record. Actually I might prefer the 96 wins they give him credit for .... LOL....... wow he would be GOAT with that record, also interesting to see what the Americans 60 years ago thought of LES
Old 10-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #57
wide_open_road
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 187

Just a note re amatuer fights, no man, or boy back then when times were tough would have fought amateur, unless they were enrolled at some flash private school or university etc, blokes like Darcy would have been to cagey to fight for nicks, it was all about money & trying to get a leg up in pretty depressed times
wide_open_road is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2011, 07:46 AM   #58
gregluland
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregluland View Post
I remember that article now, I'm sure it was syndicated in some US newspapers. I remember there were many mistakes, like his first pro fight, almost a bantamweight against a LW who was 28 while Darcy was 14, and it was 1910...... also most people know that Les never had even ONE amateur bout, he even got paid for tent fights where he had 3 bouts in 3 days but rightfully they are not counted on his record. Actually I might prefer the 96 wins they give him credit for .... LOL....... wow he would be GOAT with that record, also interesting to see what the Americans 60 years ago thought of LES
Sorry Josey, I just noticed I said the same thing a few months back, My Bad.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum