Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #61
Pat$$$
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Tell the truth- Gatti vs. Mayweather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
Gatti was on a pretty nice run coming into this fight, and had impressed at least a few observers with improved technique that he displayed fights with Dorin and Leija. He was still a big puncher, still possessed remarkable recuperative powers, and was considered to be more proficient at delivering his power than he had been at any point since he'd reigned at lightweight.

Also, there were people back then who questioned whether Mayweather would have the firepower needed to hold off a much larger and extremely durable opponent, and whether he would be able to remain upright the first time Gatti managed to connect with one of his punches.

So, there was some intrigue associated with this fight, regardless of the revisionists attempts to say otherwise. Personally, I expected Mayweather to outbox Gatti over 12, and win a comfortable but not entirely easy decision. I didn't expect PBF to unload on Gatti without remorse and have him in full on retreat mode by the time McGirt pulled him out.

And that's what made this such an impressive performance. It isn't the fact that Mayweather won....Virtually everyone figured that would probably happen. It's the fact that he won more easily than anyone, least of his detractors, expected. Gatti was always the type of fighter who was capable of having moments of success, at the very least, against anyone he fought. Hell, he had even been able to land at a decent rate against DLH for a while.

But Mayweather didn't allow Gatti to have any moments at all...and crafted one of this decade's masterpieces as a result.
This ain't wrasslin man, where your opponent get to "sell" your best shots. LOL...

Mayweather had every right to make Gatti look like the hyped up C-Class fighter he was. That was a VERY good promotional sell and it worked.
Pat$$$ is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #62
thesandman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 90

I remember it very differently than most people here apparently.

I remember most people thinking Floyd would win it very very easily. Mostly a wide UD though, not a stoppage so quickly.

Most people WANTED Gatti to win, but knew Floyd would.

I think most people were pretty clear on the fact that Floyd was on a different level to Mickey Ward.
thesandman is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #63
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat$$$ View Post
This ain't wrasslin man, where your opponent get to "sell" your best shots. LOL...

Mayweather had every right to make Gatti look like the hyped up C-Class fighter he was. That was a VERY good promotional sell and it worked.
All I'm saying is that even when he lost, Gatti was still more competitive against other opponents than he was against Mayweather. He gave a larger near prime De la Hoya a better fight than he could against a naturally smaller Mayweather.

The fact that Mayweather obliterated Gatti so easily has less to do with Gatti's lack of ability, in my opinion, and much much more to do with the fact with just how great Mayweather really was.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #64
pejevan
inmate No. 1363917
East Side Guru

vCash: 1343

Arturo Gatti is already very shop worn when he faced Gayweather.
pejevan is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #65
Pat$$$
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
All I'm saying is that even when he lost, Gatti was still more competitive against other opponents than he was against Mayweather. He gave a larger near prime De la Hoya a better fight than he could against a naturally smaller Mayweather.

The fact that Mayweather obliterated Gatti so easily has less to do with Gatti's lack of ability, in my opinion, and much much more to do with the fact with just how great Mayweather really was.
To be fair, I didn't expect Mayweather to be so cruel to him throughout the bout. It was obvious that Mayweather could have ko'd Gatti but he didn't. He wanted to humiliate him, as he did. Gatti knew he didn't deserve to be in there with the likes of Mayweather but instead he bulked up his resume as they do with young prospects until he got a payday.

Glad he enjoyed some of that payday until his untimely demise. RIP AG.
Pat$$$ is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #66
nervousxtian
Trolljegeren
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Revisionist history is all up in this thread.

Most thought Gatti would at least put up a good fight, but Floyd beat him down and ****ed him up.

Gatti had looked at his best he had in years, and was employing a smarter style to go with his power. There was a lot of questions if Floyd could fight a guy who was bigger in Gatti and was relentless and powerful. Floyd negated that all.

In retrospect, yeah.. no ****ing way Gatti beats him.. but Gatti was on a good streak.
nervousxtian is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #67
MarioBrothers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

A lot of fans of the sport love gatti, heart and warrior, blood and guts all that. It turns to belief much like how religion makes us believe. They turn a blind eye on the technical aspects because of that. Remember how hatton was at some point 50/50 on polls? Same way with gatti, people always like the limited fighter breaking the limits, too much influence by Rocky movies
MarioBrothers is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2011, 01:00 AM   #68
Divi253
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 9062

Didn't think Gatti would win but I honestly doubt ANYONE thought he'd get beat like that.
Divi253 is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2011, 01:04 AM   #69
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat$$$ View Post
To be fair, I didn't expect Mayweather to be so cruel to him throughout the bout. It was obvious that Mayweather could have ko'd Gatti but he didn't.
How do you come to that conclusion? He hit him with everything, including the kitchen sink.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2011, 01:15 AM   #70
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Gatti was just a tough ****er.

He did his usual thing where he'd get hurt/stunned/dropped early on, then got used to the punches and started taking them better.
Thread Stealer is online now  Top
Old 10-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #71
Pat$$$
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
How do you come to that conclusion? He hit him with everything, including the kitchen sink.
From round 4 onwards, it was clear that Mayweather could have pressed the fight and instead allowed Gatti to come to him and open up so Gatti could be counter-punched and then confused by the barrage. May could have closed the show as he did with Manfredy and N'Dou but he didn't.
Pat$$$ is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #72
mking
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro View Post
HBO can make anyone look like they have a chance.
I remember watching the pre fight hype and believed Gatti had a punchers chance and even bet against Floyd. Damn HBO
mking is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #73
Bravado
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Watched this on PPV and yeah, i thought Floyd would keep it close but still win.

He crushed him. I remember thinking how much Gatti looked like an asian when it was all said and done. It was a moment when Floyd hit him with this i think 8 hit combo where Roy Jones yells out

Ohh body shot body shot hurt Gatti. ****ing crazy as all that fight.
Bravado is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum