Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: who is the greatest og all time?
Sugar Ray Robinson 103 45.98%
Roberto Duran 13 5.80%
Ray Leonard 13 5.80%
Muhammad Ali 46 20.54%
Floyd Mayweather 21 9.38%
Sam Langford 7 3.13%
Archie Moore 3 1.34%
Henry Armstrong 11 4.91%
Jack Johnson 3 1.34%
Julio Cesar Chavez 4 1.79%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #31
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Who do you consider the greatest fighter of all time?

Harry Greb, followed by Ray Robinson.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #32
Ripper11
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1948

The sugar man
Ripper11 is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #33
Brand814
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I havent seen enough of SRR. I really wish I could see some half decent quality video of him at welterweight, Ive seen some great footage of him at I believe middle weight (?). Was impressive there. So as of right now, to me, Im going SRL.
Brand814 is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #34
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

Muhammad Ali is the greatest man to ever box.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #35
Brand814
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
What about the many people he defeated? The hall of famers? The all-time greats?

It goes on. SRL isn't even top 10!
Yea, it's more of a lack of seeing him actually fight then anything? Are there any decent quality welter weight fights from him up anywhere?

I didnt want to just say SRR because everyone else was even though I havent seen much footage from him.
Brand814 is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #36
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Note to EVERYONE!!!!

Study the great Harry Greb.

Record 261-19-18 ( 48 )

Has more wins than anyone in history!

Beat more Hall of Famers than anyone in history!

Fought and beat many men outweighing him by substantial margins! In fact, he beat every heavyweight he ever fought!

Fought the last 5 years of his career blind in one eye!

The ONLY man to defeat the great Gene Tunney!

What did other people say about this great man.....

The fastest fighter I ever saw. Hell. Greb is faster than Benny Leonard.
– Jack Dempsey

Greb gave me a terrible whipping. My jaw was swollen from the right temple down the cheek, along the chin and part way up the other side. The referee, the ring itself, was full of my blood. If boxing was afflicted with the commission doctors that we have now, the first fight probably would have been stopped and no one would have heard of me today.
– Gene Tunney

"He could hit from impossible angles. Once, after Harry missed a right to my face, he spun all the way around so that his back faced me. I relaxed my guard and waited for him to turn around. But before I knew what was happening, his left was stuck in my mouth. I still don't know how he did it, but he hit me while his hands faced in the opposite direction."
– Mickey Walker

Greb may have been the greatest fighter, pound-for-pound, who ever lived. Certainly, he was among the top 2 or 3. He combined the speed of Ray Robinson, the durability of Jim Jeffries, the stamina of Henry Armstrong, and the unbridled ferocity of Stanley Ketchel with a will to win unsurpassed in the annals of sport. At his peak, he was unbeatable, defeating virtually every middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight of his generation. A great, great fighter.
– Historian Eric Jorgensen
Abdullah is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #37
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
Muhammad Ali is the greatest man to ever box.

Again, what did Ali say about this??

"To me, in his time, and even today, pound for pound, when they say Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest fighter, pound for pound, meaning that I imagine if he was a heavyweight, fighting the same style, he'd be the greatest. I would have to admit. I would have to say yes. I have his fight films, I've watched the films. You have them. That man was beautiful. Timing, speed, reflexes, rhythm, his , everything was beautiful. And to me, still, I would say pound for pound, I say I'm the greatest heavyweight of all times, but pound for pound, I still say Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest of all times." ---Muhammad Ali
Abdullah is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #38
vipers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah View Post
Note to EVERYONE!!!!

Record 261-19-18 ( 48 )

Fought and beat many men outweighing him by substantial margins! In fact, he beat every heavyweight he ever fought!

Jack Dempsey

Greb gave me a terrible whipping. My jaw was swollen from the right temple down the cheek, along the chin and part way up the other side. The referee, the ring itself, was full of my blood. If boxing was afflicted with the commission doctors that we have now, the first fight probably would have been stopped and no one would have heard of me today.
Gene Tunney

"He could hit from impossible angles. Once, after Harry missed a right to my face, he spun all the way around so that his back faced me. I relaxed my guard and waited for him to turn around. But before I knew what was happening, his left was stuck in my mouth. I still don't know how he did it, but he hit me while his hands faced in the opposite direction."
Mickey Walker

Greb may have been the greatest fighter, pound-for-pound, who ever lived. Certainly, he was among the top 2 or 3. He combined the speed of Ray Robinson, the durability of Jim Jeffries, the stamina of Henry Armstrong, and the unbridled ferocity of Stanley Ketchel with a will to win unsurpassed in the annals of sport. At his peak, he was unbeatable, defeating virtually every middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight of his generation. A great, great fighter.
Historian Eric Jorgensen
i want to look up greb but how can theres no vids of him fighting? i cant find any? also didnt he fight dirty? (not that theres nothing wrong with that)
vipers is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #39
Exactabox
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 375

Canelo
Floyd - pre Pacman
Otke
Marciano
Ward
Lemieux - pre Rubio
Berto - pre Ortiz
Fernando Guerrero - pre Brewer
Exactabox is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #40
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipers View Post
i want to look up greb but how can theres no vids of him fighting? i cant find any? also didnt he fight dirty? (not that theres nothing wrong with that)
only sparring

BORKED

Money May schools this guy.
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #41
Spitfire7
Gadfly
ESB Addict

vCash: 750

Wtf was Floyd doing in that illustrious list?

And, 4 mongs voted for him? He isn't even worthy to carry Ali's spitbucket, much more SRR's, Greb's and Homicide Hank's.

SRR, followed by Greb and Armstrong will always be the top 3 GOATs.
Spitfire7 is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #42
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah View Post
Note to EVERYONE!!!!

Record 261-19-18 ( 48 )

Jack Dempsey

Gene Tunney

Mickey Walker

Historian Eric Jorgensen
That's exactly why he is my shoe-in number 1!

It's such a shame no footage of him is available.

Also I'll add, he was stopped only twice, once when he was green and in his 5 (?) fight, and the other when he suffered a broken arm and his corner pulled him out (it should be noted he wanted to carry on).
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #43
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipers View Post

Well, simply put, we live in an era where people are quite lazy, due to the major advances in technology. Cell phones, internet etc. In a case like Greb's, we have to STUDY! Read the many newspaper accounts and round by round reports of the many great fights he had and won. There is no known fight footage of the great Greb, but there is fight footage of many of the legends he beat, like....Gene Tunney, Tommy Loughran, Mickey Walker, Kid Norfolk, Tommy Gibbons, Bill Brennan and many others.

Remember, this is a man that Dempsey wouldn't fight. Greb handed Dempsey his ass in sparring. Here is some of the article.....

Sept 2, 1920
Dempsey Satisfied With His Condition

Dempsey tackled Bill Tate, Harry Greb and Marty Farrell this afternoon. He took them on in that order, boxing two rounds with Tate and three each with Greb and Farrell. The bout with Greb was a real one. It was the best work-out Dempsey has had. The Pittsburgher was in prime shape, and although he weighs only 165 pounds he gave the champion a real honust-to-goodness battle. Dempsey hasn't seen so many gloves in a long time as Greb showed him. Greb was all over him and kept forcing him around the ring throughout the session. Dempsey could do but little with the speedy light heavyweight, while Greb seemed to be able to hit Dempsey almost at will. Time and again Greb made the champion miss with his famous right and left hooks to the head and countered with heavy swings to the head and hooks to the body. (end)

Greb is a great, great fighter and it would be unfair to him and his great legacy to discount him because some of us are too lazy to do research. I personally rate Greb as #2 pound for pound, only behind the great, Sugar Ray Robinson. I have been studying boxing almost my entire life and believe me when I tell you that NO ONE comes even close to the resume that Harry Greb had and remember, he died at the age of 32.
Abdullah is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #44
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vano-Irons View Post
That's exactly why he is my shoe-in number 1!

It's such a shame no footage of him is available.

Also I'll add, he was stopped only twice, once when he was green and in his 5 (?) fight, and the other when he suffered a broken arm and his corner pulled him out (it should be noted he wanted to carry on).

Good for you, buddy. I personally rate Robinson as #1 with Greb a close second, but I would be a fool to argue with you or anyone else who rates Greb as #1. And I believe it was Greb's 7th pro fight when he was knocked out. Either way, the man had a chin of IRON.
Abdullah is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #45
Henke67
Unbroken History
ESB Addict

Location: Our revenge will be in the laughter of our children
vCash: 75

You can make a case for Langford, Greb or Armstrong but I always come back to Sugar Ray.

1. Ray Robinson
2. Sam Langford
3. Henry Armstrong
4. Harry Greb
5. Ezzard Charles
6. Roberto Duran
7. Willie Pep
8. Muhammad Ali
9. Benny Leonard
10. Mickey Walker
Henke67 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum