Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-14-2011, 05:49 AM   #1
Boom1989
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Wlad's clinching is fine as Lewis and Ali held just as much?

This is it, Wladimir fans, you have gone too far.

Lennox Lewis took on real challengers and went berzerk at them, think Ruddock, Grant, Golota - he also stood toe to toe vs. Mercer after Steward told him to take the fight to the streets.

Ali is the greatest boxer of all times. He out-boxed Sonny Liston. He is the only ever man to stop the great George Foreman, he had tremendous fights vs. Frazier, Norton and many more.

How dare you compare these two and their fighting styles to Wlad and his clinching safety-first BS? Steward told Wladimir to let himself go, but he is fully aware of his china-chinned head. Do you think Ali or Lewis would have held against Byrd or Chambers? Do you think they would have had them come into the later rounds as Wladimir did?

Wladimir doesn't out-box people, he out-clinches them. All he has is his size and his jab. His jab is over-rated as David Haye proved, so he all he has left is his size ...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0sFZWczB9c[/ame]
Boom1989 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
Boxinglad123
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Wlad's clinching is fine as Lewis and Ali held just as much?

Wladimir's clinching is just as fair as Ali's. While I think Ali is a greater fighter, his clinching was still bad.
Boxinglad123 is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
Faerun
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1171

Wlad's being criticized for his clinching left and right. What's the point of this thread?
Faerun is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
Vergilius
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom1989 View Post

Lennox Lewis took on real challengers and went berzerk at them, think Ruddock, Grant, Golota - he also stood toe to toe vs. Mercer after Steward told him to take the fight to the streets.

Ali is the greatest boxer of all times. He out-boxed Sonny Liston. He is the only ever man to stop the great George Foreman, he had tremendous fights vs. Frazier, Norton and many more.

How dare you compare these two and their fighting styles to Wlad and his clinching safety-first BS? Steward told Wladimir to let himself go, but he is fully aware of his china-chinned head. Do you think Ali or Lewis would have held against Byrd or Chambers? Do you think they would have had them come into the later rounds as Wladimir did?

Wladimir doesn't out-box people, he out-clinches them. All he has is his size and his jab. His jab is over-rated as David Haye proved, so he all he has left is his size ...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I was a big Lewis fan, but he was also critized for being overly defensive back in his day and some even claimed he had a weak chin after he got KO'ed by McCall and Rahman - personally, I thought he was a great fighter. It's kinda weird now to see the same criticism being levelled at Wladimir and Lewis being held up as some kinda polar opposite. I like Wlad, but I still think Lewis was better - both could have had better careers given better opposition, but then both could have been KO'ed more too.
Vergilius is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
Vidic
Rest in Peace Manny
East Side Guru

Wlad is the ATG clincher. As much as I like him I do feel there are instances when he should definitely have been docked points for excessive holding.

I can't see how it's fair for someone to be tied up 3 or 4 times in a row because they got inside his reach.
Vidic is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
Vergilius
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Wladimir has a lot more than size btw.; he's a great athlete with good fundamentals. He's not the best technician in the game, but then neither was Ali (who had a truly beautiful left jab but was weak fighting inside- kinda like Wlad). Ali DID have a much higher ring-iq and was a lot tougher - and he somehow managed to pull out fantastic victories against guys who should have beaten him. That's why he's considered a greater fighter, imo.
Vergilius is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Not to forget Ali had dozens of snoozefest fights that were terrible to watch. Just people quickly forget about those.
madballster is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
Bubby
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I agree. Comparing Wladimir who has only been stopped on His feet while still fighting to a Guy who was knocked out dead in His tracks with one punch from two nobodys or a fighter who was dropped with one punch from a man who had a record of 33-11-2 and couldn't even make Cruiserweight today is stupid.....

Last edited by Bubby; 10-14-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Bubby is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic View Post
Wlad is the ATG clincher. As much as I like him I do feel there are instances when he should definitely have been docked points for excessive holding.
Yes, I agree. Just like Ali should have been deducted points for excessive octopus-like holding.
madballster is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
Vidic
Rest in Peace Manny
East Side Guru

Don't believe I mentioned Ali in my post, so I'm not sure what relevance that has.
Vidic is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
jisi
Champion
East Side Guru

Clinching is a part of boxing, nothing wrong with using it.

Wladimir cliniches quick and tactical. Not too much.
jisi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum