Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Bruce Wood**** v David Haye

How would this battle between British heavyweights go ?
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Bruce Wood**** v David Haye

Haye by early knockout. Way too much speed, power, and timing. Haye is terrible underrated. One of the best punchers and finishers I have seen.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Both have shaky whiskers, but Haye has the better speed and the better quality of skills. Like him or not, Haye is world-class, whereas Wood**** (huh-huh-huh) was never better than the domestic/Commonwealth level. IIRC, Wood****'s best win was against Ben Ford, who was around the same level.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
Haye by early knockout. Way too much speed, power, and timing. Haye is terrible underrated. One of the best punchers and finishers I have seen.
You are kidding, no ?
He's a sloppy finisher.

Also, he's far from underrated. Clearly the most overrated HW of recent years, possibly the most overrated British HW ever.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
Both have shaky whiskers, but Haye has the better speed and the better quality of skills. Like him or not, Haye is world-class, whereas Wood**** (huh-huh-huh) was never better than the domestic/Commonwealth level. IIRC, his best win was against Ben Ford, who was around the same level.
Knocking out Gus Lesnevich is probably Wood****'s best win.

Haye's best win ? KOing Mormeck or playing a game of tag with the creaking giant Valuev.

I don't think there's much in it, to be honest. Haye's status as a world-class HW was brief and not based on solid grounds, IMO. He was briefly the #1 man at cruiserweight, but that's of doubtful importance.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Knocking out Gus Lesnevich is probably Wood****'s best win.

Haye's best win ? KOing Mormeck or playing a game of tag with the creaking giant Valuev.

I don't think there's much in it, to be honest. Haye's status as a world-class HW was brief and not based on solid grounds, IMO. He was briefly the #1 man at cruiserweight, but that's of doubtful importance.
I go along with this. wood**** was rushed far too quickly and picked up some lasting damage that could have been avoided had he been guided corectly. Not saying he was a world beater, not making excuses but he did beat a great fighter and certainly had potential enough to make it to a serious title threat at HW. lesnavich was a great fighter I think he was current ring magazine fighter of the year when woodcok beat him. I dont think haye beat anyone as good as lesnavich.

haye's HW career was was breif, he was impresive against a faded ruiz but otherwise he bypassed a lot of better heavyweights and did no more against valuev than holyfeild and larry donald did. david did not beat the worlds best at HW - and neither did wood****.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

you might get a better insight from Boxing people that were actually there in Wood****'s time and who were still there untill the 1980s...

Heavyweight
The best heavyweight I ever saw was Jack Petersen and he'd only box as a cruiser today. He was the fastest big fellow I can remember. He came out from the first bell straight into the attack, and he was never stopped. And what a puncher! I'd have backed him against Bruce Wood**** – both at their best. People who follow the game to a slight extent and believe most of what they read in the papers, have made Henry Cooper and Frank Bruno national heroes. Those people who are really aware of what's going on up there in the ring know different. While I wish both men good luck, they were never really great.

here's the link for the whole piece [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle1 View Post
you might get a better insight from Boxing people that were actually there in Wood****'s time and who were still there untill the 1980s...

here's the link for the whole piece [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

nice piece.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

Heavyweight
The best heavyweight I ever saw was Jack Petersen and he'd only box as a cruiser today. He was the fastest big fellow I can remember. He came out from the first bell straight into the attack, and he was never stopped. And what a puncher! I'd have backed him against Bruce Wood**** Ė both at their best. People who follow the game to a slight extent and believe most of what they read in the papers, have made Henry Cooper and Frank Bruno national heroes. Those people who are really aware of what's going on up there in the ring know different. While I wish both men good luck, they were never really great.

Brilliant stuff.

O.F. Snelling, that guy was truly knowledgeable.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Really?

Haye has an incredibly well timed devastating right hand, a powerful sharp left hook, and brutal uppercuts. He also has handspeed, terrific timing and accuracy, he is the complete package as a puncher. He had an ATG superheavyweight Wladimir Klitschko in trouble when no one has come close to landing on him in about 6 years.

Haye destroys Wood****
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #11
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Heavyweight
The best heavyweight I ever saw was Jack Petersen and he'd only box as a cruiser today. He was the fastest big fellow I can remember. He came out from the first bell straight into the attack, and he was never stopped. And what a puncher! I'd have backed him against Bruce Wood**** Ė both at their best.
Jack Petersen must have been good but he could not get past the blond tiger Walter neusel in either of their 3 meetings or ben foord. petersen did KO Larry Gains and len harvey but I just donít see how he beats henry cooper based on this. O.F snelling must have been young and impressionable at the time. I do remember old timers telling me what a big deal it was when Tommy farr beat neusel - who by the sounds of it was seen as a world beater on the account of his record against the best of British. 60,000 crowds for British HW title fights were common place back then.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #12
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
Really?

Haye has an incredibly well timed devastating right hand, a powerful sharp left hook, and brutal uppercuts. He also has handspeed, terrific timing and accuracy, he is the complete package as a puncher. He had an ATG superheavyweight Wladimir Klitschko in trouble when no one has come close to landing on him in about 6 years.

If Haye was a brilliant finisher he would have had Ruiz KO'd early, and not been taking jabs in the face through much of the middle rounds.

Haye flails away with windmill-like looping punches. He was throwing them so wildly in his last fight he was often stumbling off balance, and even throwing himself over.
How in any way can this equal being "the complete package as a puncher" ??
ARE YOU KIDDING OR WHAT ?

Haye barely landed a punch on Klitschko in 12 full rounds. Hit him with one notable solid punch. Even Adam Booth and David Haye, in all there delusional nonsense, haven't claimed "they had Wlad in trouble" - or at least I haven't seen them do so.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #13
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
How would this battle between British heavyweights go ?
Haye wins by ko ,bigger,faster ,harder hitter.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #14
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
Jack Petersen must have been good but he could not get past the blond tiger Walter neusel in either of their 3 meetings or ben foord. petersen did KO Larry Gains and len harvey but I just donít see how he beats henry cooper based on this. O.F snelling must have been young and impressionable at the time. I do remember old timers telling me what a big deal it was when Tommy farr beat neusel - who by the sounds of it was seen as a world beater on the account of his record against the best of British. 60,000 crowds for British HW title fights were common place back then.
Petersen did beat Ben Foord once, I think.
Henry Cooper lost to Amos Johnson and Roger Rischer and was KO'd by Folley in their second fight. Petersen was defintely in Cooper's class, I'd say.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #15
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Haye would be too much for Wood****.

David Haye vs Tommy Farr would be a more interesting fight.
janitor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum