Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 10-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #16
TheHonestTruth

vCash: 500
Default Re: Prospect watch: Rocky Jerkic

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect jet View Post
The punch that impressed me was his lead right uppercut. He throws it from a distance but he has the reach and speed to land it. Not many can land that punch.

From what i saw, he is a bit of a sucker for catching right hands over his low jab. Thats something he needs work on.

And as with any young kid with potential who turns pro....putting labels on them like " future star" can be a bit over zealous and bombastic. Its best to wait to see how they handle going 8, 10 rounds with decent opposition before you get a true guide.

Lots of kids with am backgrounds look a million dollars over 4 rds sparring and early pro fights. The important part is whether they can keep it all together over longer fights against fighters who ask questions of them.
As with any am that turns pro they work there way up through 4 and 6 round fights then get to the bigger stuff when the camp feels his ready. Rocky has always had the power energy to do as he pleases and I really hope he keeps his attitude in check. I know what you're saying about being over zealous but I doubt I'd be the only follower out there making the call already.

He has always promised to be something special, he just hasn't had the head and commitment to let this eventuate.
TheHonestTruth is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #17
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast hands View Post
Expect this might throw the cat amongst the pigeons.
At the moment head to head over 4 rounds Rocky would give
'The Pioneer" and Daniel Geale all that they could handle.

Big call Hands, but Aussie boxing could do with a new precocious talent.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #18
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestTruth View Post
As with any am that turns pro they work there way up through 4 and 6 round fights then get to the bigger stuff when the camp feels his ready. Rocky has always had the power energy to do as he pleases and I really hope he keeps his attitude in check. I know what you're saying about being over zealous but I doubt I'd be the only follower out there making the call already.

He has always promised to be something special, he just hasn't had the head and commitment to let this eventuate.
For sure. If he has had a habit of letting his mind wander, lets hope that doesnt happen now that he has turned pro.

Hope he does well and wish him all the best.
perfect jet is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #19
fast hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1296

Quote:
The punch that impressed me was his lead right uppercut. He throws it from a distance but he has the reach and speed to land it. Not many can land that punch.

From what i saw, he is a bit of a sucker for catching right hands over his low jab. Thats something he needs work on.

And as with any young kid with potential who turns pro....putting labels on them like " future star" can be a bit over zealous and bombastic. Its best to wait to see how they handle going 8, 10 rounds with decent opposition before you get a true guide.

Lots of kids with am backgrounds look a million dollars over 4 rds sparring and early pro fights. The important part is whether they can keep it all together over longer fights against fighters who ask questions of them.
Well put Jet. Guess we'll all be a bit wiser on Wednesday night.
fast hands is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #20
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast hands View Post
Well put Jet. Guess we'll all be a bit wiser on Wednesday night.
Yeah, be good to see him under lights.

And one other thing ( not to sound overly negative) but id imagine if he does do well in his early fights he may be hard to match. Idle time isnt something you want IF the kid tends to lose focus. But im sure george reno will keep him straight and steadily move him along.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #21
TheHonestTruth

Quote:
Yeah, be good to see him under lights.

And one other thing ( not to sound overly negative) but id imagine if he does do well in his early fights he may be hard to match. Idle time isnt something you want IF the kid tends to lose focus. But im sure george reno will keep him straight and steadily move him along.
That became his main problem in his am days. Was very hard to match.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #22
perko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

only want to know can he take it on the chin at domestic level , same stuff here was being said about willie kickett.
perko is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #23
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by perko View Post
only want to know can he take it on the chin at domestic level , same stuff here was being said about willie kickett.
Its common here to put labels on prospects or undefeated fighters. Add zappa and mundraby to the list. When they get rolled and dont live up to the hype, posters just pick another guy.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #24
TheHonestTruth

Quote:
Its common here to put labels on prospects or undefeated fighters. Add zappa and mundraby to the list. When they get rolled and dont live up to the hype, posters just pick another guy.
Fred has lost 1 fight and that was through retirement.. Lenny has has lost his last couple but I dont think people have really jumped off of them. They have more likely found new fighters to talk up. I think we're in an exciting time for Australian Boxing.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #25
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

I've never heard of him, was he ever in contention for the olympics, worlds etc.?
lefty is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #26
TheHonestTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
I've never heard of him, was he ever in contention for the olympics, worlds etc.?
Don't think he ever fought at worlds. He originally moved to Bernie McFaydens gym in 04 with the intention of going to the 06 com games but I dont think he fullfilled that dream
Old 10-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #27
CapsLock
Contender
ESB Senior Member

bloody hell talk about a premature thread.
CapsLock is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #28
TheHonestTruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsLock View Post
bloody hell talk about a premature thread.
He'll get there. It was his first pro fight. Give him a little time.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #29
aussie opinion
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 925

thought rocky was good tonight to a more experienced fighter and nearly 5kg heavier , if he sticks with it ( and carry his hands a lil higher in deffence) he will go far, at least on the oz seen
aussie opinion is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #30
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He was ok last night against a guy who didnt want to fight and just ran all night. Its hard to look good against those guys.

But he needs work, thats for sure. He doesnt know how to cut the ring off (would have helped last night) and if he is going to fight with his hands low, he needs to keep it long and develop some head movement. when he lets his hands go from chest height, his head is sitting on tee. He stands too stiff when he switches to offence...as i said before just watching him spar....he is a sucker for a right hand, he actually got clipped on the chin with a right hand when his opponent slipped and fell ( ruled a kd).

First fight, he did well in spots. Lots to learn.

Ps: he obviously copies mundine in the ring but does he have to talk like him too? Lol.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum