Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
lilsoxo

vCash: 500
Cool Boxing and Technology

I'm a student at Boston University's School of Management doing a project to create a fictional business plan for a new product.

My team and I developed a glove that incorporates technology to provide easy statistics measurement.

If you're interested in helping my team, we would really appreciate your help in developing the product! You can help by just posting your views about technology in such a traditional sport and/or filling out the following survey:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

If you have any questions about the product or want to talk about it further, you can email the team at [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Thank you in advance to those who fill it out!

So... what are your thoughts on technology to help record statistics? Useful or not?
lilsoxo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #2
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075
Default Re: Boxing and Technology

Very interesting idea.

I work in a high end fitness center. Lots of people with too much money. And i box in a genuine boxing gym.

So i see the two extremes which i think is what your going to get.

The fitness and boxercise nuts and personal trainers in the wealthier clubs will buy it (no offence) as a gimmick.

The professional elite end of the boxing community (if the technology is truly accurate) may buy it for their fighters to show how they are preforming

However the vast majority of the boxing community are looking for a good quality well performing glove protecting their hands!

The technology can be the best in the world, but if the glove isn't as good quality most people who box (especially competitively) wont care for it

Could be wrong hope it works , very very interesting technology. Especially the bit about punches landed, thrown and missed!
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
Muhammad Ali
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I think its a cool idea, but there is really no need for it.
Muhammad Ali is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
Fredd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Ali View Post
I think its a cool idea, but there is really no need for it.
I second this
Fredd is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
foggy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

At the right price we would all be using it. Who doesnt want to know that their heart rate is at 160, and they are throwing 100 punches per round. And once you know that, you want to know with what what force, and speed (maybe).

You've then just set a benchmark for your next session.

Having technology that can take that kind of beating will be the tough thing. No?
foggy is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
Fredd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Also you would have to consider the weight of the glove.
Fredd is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
Muhammad Ali
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy View Post
At the right price we would all be using it. Who doesnt want to know that their heart rate is at 160, and they are throwing 100 punches per round. And once you know that, you want to know with what what force, and speed (maybe).

Having technology that can take that kind of beating will be the tough thing. No?
in the middle of a fight none of this is going to matter. you wont check the stats till after its over.And even then no fight is the same, if we did have this product i have a feeling it would get old after a few weeks...
Old 10-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
foggy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
in the middle of a fight none of this is going to matter. you wont check the stats till after its over.And even then no fight is the same, if we did have this product i have a feeling it would get old after a few weeks...
It has no value in a fight (except maybe the punch stats would be right), but in training on the bag, for sure.
foggy is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
Muhammad Ali
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
It has no value in a fight (except maybe the punch stats would be right), but in training on the bag, for sure.
haha i will have 100 percent accuracy on the bag
Old 10-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
Tar Baby
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post
Very interesting idea.

I work in a high end fitness center. Lots of people with too much money. And i box in a genuine boxing gym.

So i see the two extremes which i think is what your going to get.

The fitness and boxercise nuts and personal trainers in the wealthier clubs will buy it (no offence) as a gimmick.

The professional elite end of the boxing community (if the technology is truly accurate) may buy it for their fighters to show how they are preforming

However the vast majority of the boxing community are looking for a good quality well performing glove protecting their hands!

The technology can be the best in the world, but if the glove isn't as good quality most people who box (especially competitively) wont care for it

Could be wrong hope it works , very very interesting technology. Especially the bit about punches landed, thrown and missed!
I agree with this.
Tar Baby is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
Scott-Robson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 15444

Quote:
haha i will have 100 percent accuracy on the bag
Ylem wouldn't.
Scott-Robson is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-Robson View Post
Ylem wouldn't.

you'd need a gizmo that measures which target is his the bag or his own face
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
lilsoxo

First, thank you for all the responses!

Second, all of you bring up really good points regarding the glove, let's see if I can address any questions...

Yes, the glove was designed for training purposes. I don't think the display on the outside would be very safe for your opponent or allowed in a fight.

The team has been looking into the reviews of various boxing gloves and can see that comfort and protection is VERY important. I admit that it has been very difficult to find the correct combination of quality components. For example, there are gel gloves that some say are really comfortable for the hands. However, that technology is protected under lock and key at those brands. =( My team was hoping to meet with someone who was familiar with these materials (leather and padding quality) and glove designs, alas they are far and few between.

The comment about weight...The good thing about technology nowadays is that it's so darned small! The weight is fairly negligible, but again, we're attempting to match the standard glove weights.

Overall, the design is incomplete, but the concept remains the same. I'm certain there will be trade offs, but with the help of these surveys, my team can determine the best solution. So...you're all awesome for filling them out.

We need roughly 120 surveys completed and my team has exhausted the Boston population of boxers (if you're in Boston and go to The Ring, Peter Welch's gym, or others - a huge thank you shout out to you). If you have some friends who use boxing gloves and would be willing to fill it out, we would really appreciate it if you passed the survey along.
lilsoxo is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
lilsoxo

Quote:

Let me tell you, finding that kind of technology has been a real pain in the ass...but it exists!

Last edited by lilsoxo; 10-26-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Had a typo
lilsoxo is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #15
foggy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsoxo View Post
Let me tell you, finding that kind of technology has been a real pain in the ass...but it exists!
I can imgaine.

Can you go direct to whoever the glove brand names outsource the manufacture of their product too, and get a generic glove with your added kit?

That way you will fulfill the physical requirements of the glove before you add your value.

Good luck.
foggy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing