boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #46
HEADBANGER
TEAM ELITE GENERAL
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,511
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG1 View Post
AKA It suits me to hold Hagler's win over Hearns in high regards because I'm a biased ***** who doesn't like Bernard Hopkins. Grow up shagger!

i've just listed the reasons why it is a superior victory.

in return you offer nothing again

your level of debate in this thread has been appalling
HEADBANGER is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #47
TG1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADBANGER View Post
i've just listed the reasons why it is a superior victory.

in return you offer nothing again

your level of debate in this thread has been appalling
Your level of contradiction had been superb

Now

**** off
TG1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #48
Auracle21
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,994
vCash: 14814
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Big problems? no. Hopkins was far more skilled and if calzaghe could beat Eubank(albeit a faded and shot Eubank) Hopkins would have been victorious.
Auracle21 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #49
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poorer place without Johnny Tapia
Posts: 9,602
vCash: 75
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Going back to the original question,Eubank's record against average fighters added up to several dull performances,but at his peak he was always upping his game when in with the real dangerous opponents so yes,he'd give Hopkins problems.Probably take 9 or 10 dull rounds to find out though.Can't say for sure if he'd win but he'd give almost anyone problems at his absolute best.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #50
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SS Enterprise
Posts: 3,096
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADBANGER View Post
what didn't you get about what i said about why haglers victory over hearns being far superior to hopkins win over trinidad?

1) hearns is far superior head to head at 160 than trinidad
2) trinidad had already been knocked down 7 times at 140
3) hearns natural size was far more suitable to putting on weight and going up through the divisions than trinidads
4) trinidad went on to show his unsuitablity for fighting at middleweight by getting his head boxed off v winky wright
5) after hagler, hearns went on to win a middleweight title, a title at 168 and a title at 175 showing his undoubted calibre for fighting at heavier weights.
Good post
general zod is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #51
HEADBANGER
TEAM ELITE GENERAL
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,511
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG1 View Post
Your level of contradiction had been superb

Now

**** off

no it hasn't i have explained everything i have said

you have just blatantly ducked my questions

i actually expected more of you

this is the reason why you've ended up resorting to personal abuse and sweeping statements instead of directly answering points.

i know a beaten egghead when i see one, i've just turned you into a scrambled egg
HEADBANGER is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #52
SILENCER
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,527
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopejh View Post
what? why are you not answering my question Gained? answer my question.
i am not gained.

hopkins was so good at promoting himself that for a decade his main claim to fame remained the answer to the trivia question of who Roy outclassed using one arm tied behind his back to win his first title.

Eubank has the worst possible style and personality for hopkins who had quite an active punch output and offensive aggression in his prime. Chrissy would bait hopkins without mercy, and catch him coming in all night just like Roy did.

Eubank was talented enough with enough popularity that he could float around for the bulk of his career with minimal training against mostly inferior opponents for big money compared to the peanuts and chicken bones Poppy was s****ping over. Eubank never realized his full potential of talent because he was always going to be more than mere fighter.

Don't think Chris would be much challenged by a little fighter who hit the canvas like clockwork and could be outboxed, outfoxed, and outworked.

at mw eubank takes this.

in answer to your question though benn is the best gauge we have,though overall he is not as good as hopkins he certainly ranks right up there with hopkins,and he was far more dangerous,i certainly rate watson,malinga,benn,rochigianni,wharton etc over keith holmes,antwun echols,robert allen and oscar at mw.
SILENCER is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #53
hoopsman
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Re-reading "Legacy of Ashes"-- Someone has to, right Wige?
Posts: 2,371
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG1 View Post
Take this quote and put in big letters at the top of the main forum page. It's horse**** like this that gives ESB a bad name. No mention of Trinidad or unifying the whole f*ckin division?

I know I know! Trinidad was a natural welter, that's the official ESB comeback, genius! I take it Aaron Pryor is over rated for having signature wins over Arguello? How about Hagler being over rated for beating up Duran and Hearns?

TOTAL HORSE ****!

In answer to the OP. Eubank gives most fighters a nightmare on his A Game but he didn't beat a fighter on Hopkins' level in his entire career.
Superb post.
hoopsman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #54
TG1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADBANGER View Post
no it hasn't i have explained everything i have said

you have just blatantly ducked my questions

i actually expected more of you

this is the reason why you've ended up resorting to personal abuse and sweeping statements instead of directly answering points.

i know a beaten egghead when i see one, i've just turned you into a scrambled egg
When you consistently use weight as an issue to downplay Hopkins' achievements and then suck off Hagler for having a win over a naturally smaller man I can't take you seriously.

I don't give a **** what spin you put on Hearns as an opponent. He came from a lighter weight class, so use the same logic. If you want to credit Hagler for that win, then give Hopkins credit for Tito.

Trinidad was THE FAVORITE going in against Hopkins. That's how convinced the establishment was of the Monday morning quarterback bull**** you're spouting now.

Your train of thought is built on hate and I tore you to bits with easy logic. I can't help it if you won't accept that!
TG1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #55
TG1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILENCER View Post
i am not gained.

hopkins was so good at promoting himself that for a decade his main claim to fame remained the answer to the trivia question of who Roy outclassed using one arm tied behind his back to win his first title.

Eubank has the worst possible style and personality for hopkins who had quite an active punch output and offensive aggression in his prime. Chrissy would bait hopkins without mercy, and catch him coming in all night just like Roy did.

Eubank was talented enough with enough popularity that he could float around for the bulk of his career with minimal training against mostly inferior opponents for big money compared to the peanuts and chicken bones Poppy was s****ping over. Eubank never realized his full potential of talent because he was always going to be more than mere fighter.

Don't think Chris would be much challenged by a little fighter who hit the canvas like clockwork and could be outboxed, outfoxed, and outworked.

at mw eubank takes this.

in answer to your question though benn is the best gauge we have,though overall he is not as good as hopkins he certainly ranks right up there with hopkins,and he was far more dangerous,i certainly rate watson,malinga,benn,rochigianni,wharton etc over keith holmes,antwun echols,robert allen and oscar at mw.
I'm a HUGE Eubank fan but I find it amazing that he is being painted up as a grim reaper, when he failed to match up against so many big names.

No Roy Jones, no James Toney, no Michael Nunn, no Gerald McClellan, no Iran Barkley, no Sambu Kalambay, no Mike McCallum, no Julian Jackson.

Benn at least chased down some real danger men. Eubank played it safe for most of his career and admitted to using the sport for money.

It shows how much hate there is for Hopkins when Chris is being touted as a guy who would have kicked his ass with virtually ZERO foundation to rely on.

SAD AS ****!
TG1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #56
The Dreamweaver
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG1 View Post
When you consistently use weight as an issue to downplay Hopkins' achievements and then suck off Hagler for having a win over a naturally smaller man I can't take you seriously.

I don't give a **** what spin you put on Hearns as an opponent. He came from a lighter weight class, so use the same logic. If you want to credit Hagler for that win, then give Hopkins credit for Tito.

Trinidad was THE FAVORITE going in against Hopkins. That's how convinced the establishment was of the Monday morning quarterback bull**** you're spouting now.

Your train of thought is built on hate and I tore you to bits with easy logic. I can't help it if you won't accept that!
Not interested in your argument, but Hearns was a bonfied MW and had been operating at MW for years before he met Hagler.
The Dreamweaver is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #57
rayrobinson
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,935
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG1 View Post


Do you want to know what the weather was like in LA for Vargas vs. Mayorga, or in Vegas for De la Hoya vs. Mayweather, Mayweather vs. Mosley or Hatton vs. Pacquiao? How about Hatton vs. Tzsyu?

This is silly **** to try with me mate. Can't remember Manchester for Lacy but Cardiff was ****IN FREEZING.

Try something else!
See I was at both fights and it something I say to people who I dont believe went.

It was ****ing boiling in Cardiff all day, we couldnt believe it for a November , I have pictures of me and the boys all day in the Bay area.

Was it under cover or open at the Millienium stadium?
rayrobinson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #58
kopejh
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,721
vCash: 861
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILENCER View Post
i am not gained.

hopkins was so good at promoting himself that for a decade his main claim to fame remained the answer to the trivia question of who Roy outclassed using one arm tied behind his back to win his first title.

Eubank has the worst possible style and personality for hopkins who had quite an active punch output and offensive aggression in his prime. Chrissy would bait hopkins without mercy, and catch him coming in all night just like Roy did.

Eubank was talented enough with enough popularity that he could float around for the bulk of his career with minimal training against mostly inferior opponents for big money compared to the peanuts and chicken bones Poppy was s****ping over. Eubank never realized his full potential of talent because he was always going to be more than mere fighter.

Don't think Chris would be much challenged by a little fighter who hit the canvas like clockwork and could be outboxed, outfoxed, and outworked.

at mw eubank takes this.

in answer to your question though benn is the best gauge we have,though overall he is not as good as hopkins he certainly ranks right up there with hopkins,and he was far more dangerous,i certainly rate watson,malinga,benn,rochigianni,wharton etc over keith holmes,antwun echols,robert allen and oscar at mw.
Eubank had the worst possible style for Hopkins? Eubank would bait Hopkins all night long?



do you understand what is going on when you watch a fight? you dumb****.

where the fuk do you get off making these blanket statements?

Eubank was sloppy and awkward when he couldn't fight at his pace. he would be stumbling around the ring reaching in with his half-assed combinations and wide right hands. Hopkins would be setting the rhythm here and he'd be the one capitalizing on Eubank's inconsistency and sloppiness.

as for Eubank baiting Hopkins, that is fuking laughable. Hopkins is far trickier than Eubank ever was. even if Eubank did "bait him all night long" (whatever the **** that means) Hopkins is compact and tight enough with his technique that he'd not be caught "coming in all night" you dumb****. how dare you compare RJJ to Eubank?

STFU and gtfo. I have wasted my time arguing with you.
kopejh is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #59
TG1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrobinson View Post
See I was at both fights and it something I say to people who I dont believe went.

It was ****ing boiling in Cardiff all day, we couldnt believe it for a November , I have pictures of me and the boys all day in the Bay area.

Was it under cover or open at the Millienium stadium?
Mate for **** sake. Who would make up that they were at a fight which was held in a 70,000 seat arena? It was the easiest ticket in the world to get and you think you're a star for being at it?

We flew into Bristol airport and hired a car, which got locked in a multi story car park over night. Take my f*ckin word for it, at 3am it was ****in FREEZING because we wandered the streets until the carpark opened. You want me to remember the weather "through the day" for a fight that happened four years ago?

If I was going to make up a story I would tell you I was at Leonard vs. Hearns. Don't believe me because I couldn't care less, your line of questioning is embarrasing. I'll be in Vegas next year from April 30th - May 7th and will catch another superfight. I'll let you know what the weather was like when I get back
TG1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #60
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,390
vCash: 75
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Eubank could definitely pose some problems for Hopkins and win some rounds, but his footwork on the front-foot was pretty poor (Hopkins doesn't really excel in this area either, but he's better than Eubank). Hopkins, being the better ring general, probably takes this in a clear decision.

If a prime B-Hop were around in the late 80s/early 90s era, I think Herol Graham and Michael Nunn would've been tough fights, Toney and McCallum could've very well beaten him, and Kalambay on his best night would've edged him. He chews up Benn and counterpunches the hell out of McClellan.
JMP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015