Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #61
TG1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrobinson View Post
See I was at both fights and it something I say to people who I dont believe went.

It was ****ing boiling in Cardiff all day, we couldnt believe it for a November , I have pictures of me and the boys all day in the Bay area.

Was it under cover or open at the Millienium stadium?
Mate for **** sake. Who would make up that they were at a fight which was held in a 70,000 seat arena? It was the easiest ticket in the world to get and you think you're a star for being at it?

We flew into Bristol airport and hired a car, which got locked in a multi story car park over night. Take my f*ckin word for it, at 3am it was ****in FREEZING because we wandered the streets until the carpark opened. You want me to remember the weather "through the day" for a fight that happened four years ago?

If I was going to make up a story I would tell you I was at Leonard vs. Hearns. Don't believe me because I couldn't care less, your line of questioning is embarrasing. I'll be in Vegas next year from April 30th - May 7th and will catch another superfight. I'll let you know what the weather was like when I get back
TG1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #62
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,390
vCash: 75
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Eubank could definitely pose some problems for Hopkins and win some rounds, but his footwork on the front-foot was pretty poor (Hopkins doesn't really excel in this area either, but he's better than Eubank). Hopkins, being the better ring general, probably takes this in a clear decision.

If a prime B-Hop were around in the late 80s/early 90s era, I think Herol Graham and Michael Nunn would've been tough fights, Toney and McCallum could've very well beaten him, and Kalambay on his best night would've edged him. He chews up Benn and counterpunches the hell out of McClellan.
JMP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #63
Cobra33
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,177
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Hagler would have beaten the crap out of Hopkins-Better boxer AND puncher.

Would have loved to see Hopkins vs Hamsho as Hamsho could get just as rough as Hopkins on the inside.

John Mugabi would have beaten ANY middleweight Hopkins fought on the night he challenged Hagler.

Hagler is a different class then Hopkins-Hell Hopkins defended his title TWICE against Allen if I'm not mistaken.Allen would have never lasted with Hagler.



Bennie Briscoe
Cyclone Hart
Willie Monroe

Hagler beat all three.POST Hopkins best 3 opponents and you wont come close to these three.
Cobra33 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #64
TG1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra33 View Post
Hagler would have beaten the crap out of Hopkins-Better boxer AND puncher.

Would have loved to see Hopkins vs Hamsho as Hamsho could get just as rough as Hopkins on the inside.

John Mugabi would have beaten ANY middleweight Hopkins fought on the night he challenged Hagler.

Hagler is a different class then Hopkins-Hell Hopkins defended his title TWICE against Allen if I'm not mistaken.Allen would have never lasted with Hagler.

Bennie Briscoe
Cyclone Hart
Willie Monroe

Hagler beat all three.POST Hopkins best 3 opponents and you wont come close to these three.
Hagler may have beaten Hopkins but it's not an easy fight by any means.

Hopkins vs. Hamsho? Ding Ding Schools In. Hamsho has nothing on his resume to suggest he could live with Bernard Hopkins and I do mean nothing!

Mugabi would hav beaten any middleweight that Hopkins faced? That's conjecture and Mugabi was a 154lber. He didn't beat a decent middleweight in his entire career.

Hopkins actually defended against Allen three times lol

Briscoe, Hart and Munroe were quality contenders, no denying that.
TG1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #65
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SS Enterprise
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
He chews up Benn and counterpunches the hell out of McClellan.
I can't see Hopkins beating McClellan
general zod is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #66
rayrobinson
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,564
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG1 View Post
Mate for **** sake. Who would make up that they were at a fight which was held in a 70,000 seat arena? It was the easiest ticket in the world to get and you think you're a star for being at it?

We flew into Bristol airport and hired a car, which got locked in a multi story car park over night. Take my f*ckin word for it, at 3am it was ****in FREEZING because we wandered the streets until the carpark opened. You want me to remember the weather "through the day" for a fight that happened four years ago?

If I was going to make up a story I would tell you I was at Leonard vs. Hearns. Don't believe me because I couldn't care less, your line of questioning is embarrasing. I'll be in Vegas next year from April 30th - May 7th and will catch another superfight. I'll let you know what the weather was like when I get back
Man you are you too angry , my point was that I dont and still dont believe you , and the reason I ask the weather question is because you cannot just go and ****ing google it like all of the other keyboard hard men on here .

I ask questions like where were you sat , what did you do that day etc. Because I know most people on here are full of shit when it comes to the real thing.

If you did then peace , but right now all you have done is proved nothing.
rayrobinson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #67
TG1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by general zod View Post
I can't see Hopkins beating McClellan
Think more!
TG1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #68
rayrobinson
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,564
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG1 View Post
Think more!
Honestly man , I respect everybody on here , but Hopkins with the correct referee who have been in serious trouble against the G man.

To put a smiling face as if it wasnt even a valid point is just ignorant.
rayrobinson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #69
TG1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrobinson View Post
Man you are you too angry , my point was that I dont and still dont believe you , and the reason I ask the weather question is because you cannot just go and ****ing google it like all of the other keyboard hard men on here .

I ask questions like where were you sat , what did you do that day etc. Because I know most people on here are full of shit when it comes to the real thing.

If you did then peace , but right now all you have done is proved nothing.


Mate I've been to Vegas four times, LA once and met some of the best fighters in the game including CALZAGHE who I sat with in Zuri Bar at the MGM Grand for over fifteen minutes.

As well as that I've met JM Marquez, Sugar Ray Leonard, Ricky Hatton, Lennox Lewis, Judah, Berto, Duran, Hearns and Holyfield.

All of that but I didn't attend a fight in Cardiff when I'm from the UK? Okay then I can see your logic

PM your Facebook and I'll end this shit in two seconds.
TG1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #70
rayrobinson
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,564
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG1 View Post


Mate I've been to Vegas four times, LA once and met some of the best fighters in the game including CALZAGHE who I sat with in Zuri Bar at the MGM Grand for over fifteen minutes.

As well as that I've met JM Marquez, Sugar Ray Leonard, Ricky Hatton, Lennox Lewis, Judah, Berto, Duran, Hearns and Holyfield.

All of that but I didn't attend a fight in Cardiff when I'm from the UK? Okay then I can see your logic

PM your Facebook and I'll end this shit in two seconds.
That is an impressive list , if you have met these names, and I have met a few of the above too , but not all , then why are you so onesided in your argument in your view of Hopkins , and act like you do with the smiley faces? It rather childish for someone who clearly knows the sport.
rayrobinson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #71
TG1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrobinson View Post
That is an impressive list , if you have met these names, and I have met a few of the above too , but not all , then why are you so onesided in your argument in your view of Hopkins , and act like you do with the smiley faces? It rather childish for someone who clearly knows the sport.
Mate I'm not one sided on anything. I think Hopkins is a terrific fighter, one of the best of his generation and he gets undermined on here with some of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever heard.

Look at Headbanger. This guy berates Hopkins for having wins against smaller men when he has Marvin Hagler on his avatar? Who are Hagler's best wins against? Duran, Hearns and Mugabi who are all what? That's right, smaller!

I believe Hopkins is levels above McClellan and would have exposed him technically, hence the laughter. I don't mean anything by it but I do find it funny!
TG1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #72
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,390
vCash: 75
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

McClellan didn't have the boxing skill to hang with Hopkins. His only chance is to get Hopkins out of there within the first few rounds and that's unlikely with Hopkins' defense, craftiness, and chin. Once Hopkins figures out McClellan's movements and timing, he'd take control. McClellan, aside from power and toughness (the former being aided by him boiling down from 200 pounds), never impressed me.
JMP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #73
TG1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
McClellan didn't have the boxing skill to hang with Hopkins. His only chance is to get Hopkins out of there within the first few rounds and that's unlikely with Hopkins' defense, craftiness, and chin. Once Hopkins figures out McClellan's movements and timing, he'd take control. McClellan, aside from power and toughness (the former being aided by him boiling down from 200 pounds), never impressed me.
Agreed 100%

Hopkins and Toney are pure old school and HUGE punchers like McClellan are tailor made for them. Both are very hard to catch cleanly and both can take a direct hit, so McClellan is toast head to head IMO.
TG1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #74
Peter Brit
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Eubank used to drop 20-30 pounds in a week to make the weight. His later fights, a prime Hopkins would just out work him due to his weight problems.

Hopkins has very good whiskers, boxing wise he is technically to good for Eubank.

Check out a video of lewis teaching an old Eubank to throw a left hook close. Eubank was awkward, good power but actually not a great technican. Hopkins beats him all day, except perhaps a young Eubank, if Hopkins whiskers are overated.
Peter Brit is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #75
Peter Brit
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Default Re: Could Eubank's unique style have given Hopkins big problems?

Herol Graham would have beaten both Hopkins, Eubank, Benn, Collins.
Peter Brit is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013