Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #16
lilsoxo

vCash: 500
Default Re: Boxing and Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy View Post
I can imgaine.

Can you go direct to whoever the glove brand names outsource the manufacture of their product too, and get a generic glove with your added kit?

That way you will fulfill the physical requirements of the glove before you add your value.

Good luck.
While that's a legitimate business strategy to create a "new product" - the curriculum we have at Boston University requires us to actually manufacture most parts. Rarely are we allowed to use a licensed technology like that and I wonder about the legal implications...

There are numerous "rules" regarding the product design and business model we're expected to create. If only it was so easy!
lilsoxo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 95

Its a decent idea, but honestly think would only be used for very high/elite level fighters. The problem is this, technology weighs if im not mistaken? If the tech weighs to much then the glove will weigh to much, if you take of padding to replace the weight then the tech will probably will break after a few rounds of bagwork and obviously less protection.. My idea would be, connecting your 'sensors' with a wire and the screen also and put it on your arm wrapped around, this way you can punch with good padding and keep track of their performance. Interesting thread though
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #18
lilsoxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxhin View Post
Its a decent idea, but honestly think would only be used for very high/elite level fighters. The problem is this, technology weighs if im not mistaken? If the tech weighs to much then the glove will weigh to much, if you take of padding to replace the weight then the tech will probably will break after a few rounds of bagwork and obviously less protection.. My idea would be, connecting your 'sensors' with a wire and the screen also and put it on your arm wrapped around, this way you can punch with good padding and keep track of their performance. Interesting thread though
One, I'm glad you think this is an interesting topic. My team thinks so too. It has been a really cool experience to talk with experienced boxers and look at all the possibilities. =D
Two, the technology limitations is probably why this product has not been created yet (the class project requires creating an entirely new product).

While the circuit board, sensors, and display are relatively light, it's the batteries that might hurt the desired weight the most. The computing power required to record and process the raw data into something meaningful is a lot more than we can design in a light, affordable battery.

My team has a boxer and he did not seem too concerned if there was some extra weight. Is this just one boxer's opinion and others are more sensitive to that factor?

Haha, I think the most frustrating thing about this product is that we know the technology exists to make this glove so that all of these concerns wouldn't matter, but...it isn't cheap. That's a problem when our product is SUPPOSED to be available to the average boxer.
By the way, I hope everyone who takes the survey is answer as if everything works perfectly. The goal is to judge the glove assuming it will perform as we stated it would perform.
lilsoxo is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #19
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsoxo View Post
One, I'm glad you think this is an interesting topic. My team thinks so too. It has been a really cool experience to talk with experienced boxers and look at all the possibilities. =D
Two, the technology limitations is probably why this product has not been created yet (the class project requires creating an entirely new product).

While the circuit board, sensors, and display are relatively light, it's the batteries that might hurt the desired weight the most. The computing power required to record and process the raw data into something meaningful is a lot more than we can design in a light, affordable battery.

My team has a boxer and he did not seem too concerned if there was some extra weight. Is this just one boxer's opinion and others are more sensitive to that factor?

Haha, I think the most frustrating thing about this product is that we know the technology exists to make this glove so that all of these concerns wouldn't matter, but...it isn't cheap. That's a problem when our product is SUPPOSED to be available to the average boxer.
By the way, I hope everyone who takes the survey is answer as if everything works perfectly. The goal is to judge the glove assuming it will perform as we stated it would perform.
then yes, if there only a very small difference in weight then its nothin, but if its example a 16oz glove and with all the wieght it is 20+ oz then i personally would feel uncomfortable with it. Other then that goodjob on the work and looks like your taking it serious. As far as price it goes very simple "You get what you pay for" its obviously not for a newcomer but any above average boxer would get it if its got good reviews and ratings
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #20
lilsoxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxhin View Post
then yes, if there only a very small difference in weight then its nothin, but if its example a 16oz glove and with all the wieght it is 20+ oz then i personally would feel uncomfortable with it. Other then that goodjob on the work and looks like your taking it serious. As far as price it goes very simple "You get what you pay for" its obviously not for a newcomer but any above average boxer would get it if its got good reviews and ratings
My team is taking this very seriously. The project counts for 30% in 4 different classes so it's difficult not to. Besides that, good data from surveys make our lives easier and it's good to inform athletes about the potential of such a product coming to market. I mean, maybe my team won't be mass producing such a thing, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the major companies do some prototypes.

Shows like Mythbusters and Deadliest Warrior make ad hoc contraptions with similar concepts that always show amazing statistics. Great shows and great technology. I really wonder what happens to all those contraptions...Giant warehouse? But I digress...
lilsoxo is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #21
Muhammad Ali
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

When you actually create the product send me a pair to test out... haha jp
Muhammad Ali is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #22
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I can see guys using something like this to compete against each other for fun, how many punches can they throw, how fast, how hard etc etc but boxers using it for actual training? I very much doubt it.

Whoever said you can use this to try and increase how many punches you do each workout, don't you think the quality of each punch is more important over how many punches you throw?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #23
Muhammad Ali
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
I can see guys using something like this to compete against each other for fun, how many punches can they throw, how fast, how hard etc etc but boxers using it for actual training? I very much doubt it.

Whoever said you can use this to try and increase how many punches you do each workout, don't you think the quality of each punch is more important over how many punches you throw?
quality is what matters, i thought that feature would be cool while sparring though. To see see how many punches you threw and how accurate you are
Old 10-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #24
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Ali View Post
To see see how many punches you threw and how accurate you are
How could it measure how accurate you are? How would accuracy be defined with something like this?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #25
Muhammad Ali
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
How could it measure how accurate you are? How would accuracy be defined with something like this?
couldnt it count how many times you actually hit him...
Old 10-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #26
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
couldnt it count how many times you actually hit him...
In it's present form, it would only work on the bag. How would the bag know you hit his glove or elbow and not his face or torso?
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #27
lilsoxo

I think I understand what it means to increase the punch count. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's like a sport where the number of shots on goal show how aggressive the team is and how little you're on the defense for.

The design currently does count how many punches you throw and how many you land via acceleration disruption analysis (don't quote me on how accurate that name is, but the concept is what I'm going for).

Punches landed/punches thrown is our definition of "accuracy", but I could see how that is very deceiving. I do not see the product being able to distinguish between different body parts...yet.
lilsoxo is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #28
lilsoxo

So...I was trying to write some cheesy marketing blurp about the glove and I think I had an "a-ha" moment.

It is as Foggy says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy View Post
At the right price we would all be using it. Who doesnt want to know that their heart rate is at 160, and they are throwing 100 punches per round. And once you know that, you want to know with what what force, and speed (maybe).

You've then just set a benchmark for your next session.

Having technology that can take that kind of beating will be the tough thing. No?
It's about setting benchmarks for the next training session. For those who box entirely for fitness, perhaps the technique isn't as important, so this glove is ideal. For those who do box competitively, I can understand the skepticism because boxing isn't all about strength or the number of punches...you need the whole package of skill and strength, so this glove might not be as convincing.

Am I interpretting this correctly or am I still way off the mark?
lilsoxo is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #29
Muhammad Ali
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
In it's present form, it would only work on the bag. How would the bag know you hit his glove or elbow and not his face or torso?
idk man, we made it to the moon im sure its possible to tell somehow, just like my iphone only responds to human touch
Old 10-28-2011, 01:19 AM   #30
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
idk man, we made it to the moon im sure its possible to tell somehow, just like my iphone only responds to human touch

Oh it's certainly possible, I just meant the design in its present form wouldn't be able to distinguish hitting a face from a torso from a lamp.
Bogotazo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing