Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #31
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 3,631
vCash: 500
Default Re: Updated Glass Jaw Rankings

Added several more frauds to the honorable mentions list but I'm interested in seeing if you guys think some should be moved off the Top 10 in favor of others in the honorable mentions slot.
MetalMandible is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #32
Ubersteve
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,208
vCash: 888
Default Re: Updated Glass Jaw Rankings

On the subject of cardio there should be a glass lungs ranking.

I'd nominate Phil Baroni for top spot
Ubersteve is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #33
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,771
vCash: 500
Default Re: Updated Glass Jaw Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubersteve View Post
On the subject of cardio there should be a glass lungs ranking.

I'd nominate Phil Baroni for top spot
hahahaa omfg +1 and mark hunt vs big ben rothwell and the frank mir vs roy nelson!!!!
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #34
swordtail
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Default Re: Updated Glass Jaw Rankings

no way should
Rashad Evans
on this list
swordtail is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #35
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 3,631
vCash: 500
Default Re: Updated Glass Jaw Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtail View Post
no way should
Rashad Evans
on this list
Evans gets badly hurt in nearly all of his fights and normally by piss-poor punches. You know nothing of Chins. Nothing.
MetalMandible is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #36
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: InYourMouth, NC
Posts: 6,552
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Updated Glass Jaw Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMandible View Post
Evans gets badly hurt in nearly all of his fights and normally by piss-poor punches. You know nothing of Chins. Nothing.
Good thing he fights in mma, instead of boxing where chins are more important.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #37
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 3,631
vCash: 500
Default Re: Updated Glass Jaw Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Good thing he fights in mma, instead of boxing where chins are more important.
You're not an idiot and you damn well know they're important in MMA, as well. Evans' Chin is going to prove very, very important when he faces Jones and he can't outwrestle him and you'll see why when he's doing his stanky leg again!
MetalMandible is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #38
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: InYourMouth, NC
Posts: 6,552
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Updated Glass Jaw Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMandible View Post
You're not an idiot and you damn well know they're important in MMA, as well. Evans' Chin is going to prove very, very important when he faces Jones and he can't outwrestle him and you'll see why when he's doing his stanky leg again!
Chins are an integral part of boxing. It is a sport in which the main focus is getting hit in the face. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Terry Norris would come across as having a granite jaw had he chose to compete in mma. Boxing purposely restricts many techniques to maximize the possibilities of two combatants duking it out. Dexterity, hand speed, and chins are essential to making it to the top.

MMA is different than boxing. Physical strength can become more of a factor than in boxing. There are many more techniques to defend against. In mma, fighters can clinch after closing the distance and have more ways to avoid getting caught on the chin. That's why some of the fighters you have ranked with the poorest chins around have found away to be on top of their divisions at one time or another. If GSP ever gets exposed for having a poor chin, he'll prove you can dominate the sport without one.

Now can Rashad dominate without a chin the way GSP may have been doing? No, I doubt it. GSP's stand up is tighter than Rashad's, and GSP is stronger at 170 than Rashad is at 205. Rashad would need a better chin if he can't find ways to excel in other areas.

Jon Jones may be someone that can avoid ever having to prove how good his chin is.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #39
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 3,631
vCash: 500
Default Re: Updated Glass Jaw Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Chins are an integral part of boxing. It is a sport in which the main focus is getting hit in the face. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Terry Norris would come across as having a granite jaw had he chose to compete in mma. Boxing purposely restricts many techniques to maximize the possibilities of two combatants duking it out. Dexterity, hand speed, and chins are essential to making it to the top.

MMA is different than boxing. Physical strength can become more of a factor than in boxing. There are many more techniques to defend against. In mma, fighters can clinch after closing the distance and have more ways to avoid getting caught on the chin. That's why some of the fighters you have ranked with the poorest chins around have found away to be on top of their divisions at one time or another. If GSP ever gets exposed for having a poor chin, he'll prove you can dominate the sport without one.

Now can Rashad dominate without a chin the way GSP may have been doing? No, I doubt it. GSP's stand up is tighter than Rashad's, and GSP is stronger at 170 than Rashad is at 205. Rashad would need a better chin if he can't find ways to excel in other areas.

Jon Jones may be someone that can avoid ever having to prove how good his chin is.
You're not telling me anything that I don't know. Superior fighters can overcome a Glass Jaw in MMA or boxing but it takes a very special guy to do so and it is a comparative rarity. More rare in boxing to be sure, but Glass Jaws don't usually make it far in MMA either.

That being said, Rashad's Chin is going to matter with Jones because he can't use his wrestling to hide it. Jones will shatter it and violently.
MetalMandible is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #40
Honor
Bóg i Ojczyzna
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 363
vCash: 642
Default Re: Updated Glass Jaw Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefthooktommy View Post
Metal did you make these videos?
BORKED
What a disgraceful chin.
Honor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #41
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Ivory Tower
Posts: 13,297
vCash: 588
Default Re: Updated Glass Jaw Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMandible View Post
01. Andrei Arlovski
02. Forrest Griffin
03. Keith Glass Jawdine
04. Todd Duffee
05. Wanderlei Silva
06. Brendan Fraud
07. Rashad Evans
08. Brock Lesnar
09. Ryan Bader
10. Matt Hughes

Honorable Mentions- Frank Mir, Michael Bisping, James Thompson, Ken Shamrock, Kimbo Slice, Matt Lindland, Cro Cop, Alistair Overeem, Kendall Grove, Houston Alexander, Thiago Silva, Pat Barry, Melvin Guillard, Gray Maynard, Frankie Edgar, Jorge Santiago

I heard just about every MMA fighter has a glass jaw. Shouldn't this list be longer?
Zakman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #42
Tuffnutz
ESB 2002 Club
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,218
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Updated Glass Jaw Rankings

Chucky, sort Zak out please.
Tuffnutz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #43
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Ivory Tower
Posts: 13,297
vCash: 588
Default Re: Updated Glass Jaw Rankings

Glass jaws exist in MMA. It's nothing to be ashamed about. They exist in boxing too!
Zakman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #44
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 3,631
vCash: 500
Default Re: Updated Glass Jaw Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
I heard just about every MMA fighter has a glass jaw. Shouldn't this list be longer?
Many of them do have atrocious China Chins but this list is here to show the very worst of them. If I included EVERY Glass Jaw in the sport I would run out of text.
MetalMandible is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #45
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,771
vCash: 500
Default Re: Updated Glass Jaw Rankings

shownatt
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013