Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Has a top level fighter ever gone into a fighter expecting to lose?
Yes (give examples in the thread) 34 94.44%
No 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Has a world level fighter ever gone into a fight thinking they'd lose?

I've always questioned the idea that the likes of Michael Spinks actually went into the Tyson fight knowing he was going to lose. Was he intimidated by Mike Tyson? Perhaps, but that doesn't neccesarily mean he expected to lose the fight. There's also those who supposedly only turn up for a paycheck. Some have even suggested that JMM has only taken the third fight with Pacquiao so that he could maximize his earnings before retiring. Again, I don't believe this.

Journeyman and fixed fights aside, do you think a World Level operator has ever gone into a fight expecting to lose? Specify in the thread.
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
GlassJawsExist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 496
Default Re: Has a world level fighter ever gone into a fight thinking they'd lose?

Abraham v Ward. You could see it in his eyes.
GlassJawsExist is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Leon
The Artful Dodger
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Has a world level fighter ever gone into a fight thinking they'd lose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I've always questioned the idea that the likes of Michael Spinks actually went into the Tyson fight knowing he was going to lose. Was he intimidated by Mike Tyson? Perhaps, but that doesn't neccesarily mean he expected to lose the fight. There's also those who supposedly only turn up for a pay cheque. Some have even suggested that JMM has only taken the third fight with Pacquiao so that he could maximize his earnings before retiring. Again, I don't believe this.

Journeyman and fixed fights aside, do you think a World Level operator has ever gone into a fight expecting to lose? Specify in the thread.
does Arturo Gatti count was world level?
Leon is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
guncho
next champion!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Also it would be interesting if some one expected to lose but won instead?
guncho is online now  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
does Arturo Gatti count was world level?
Absolutely. Do you think Gatti knew he was going to lose before he stepped in with Floyd Mayweather Jr? He certainly talked a good fight beforehand.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
henrik
fasthands
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 980

Gatti in the Mayweather fight was the first one that came to me....
henrik is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Leon
The Artful Dodger
East Side VIP

Quote:
Absolutely. Do you think Gatti knew he was going to lose before he stepped in with Floyd Mayweather Jr? He certainly talked a good fight beforehand.
yep I think Gatti knew what was going to happen

I think it was Brian Kenny doing a split screen interview between Floyd and Gatti before their fight. Anyways, Floyd was saying every and anything he wanted. Gatti just sat there with a passive look of acceptance in his eyes. It was a look of defeat.
Leon is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
Post Box
I'm back too, bitches
East Side Guru

Do completely shot fighters count? im sure there's been a few of them at the end of their careers looking for money knowing they haven't got much of a chance
Post Box is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict

vCash: 2238

Bruce Seldon against Mike Tyson is a good shout in my opinion. He certainly crumbled incredibly quickly for a guy that possessed some decent fundamentals. Possibly Douglas against Holyfield?
LancsTerrible is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
Doc
Champion
East Side Guru

Barrera PAC 2... it was only survival in there for one man and not be humiliated.
Doc is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
Ant68
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 663

Bonecrusher didn't fancy his chances against Mike Tyson.
Ant68 is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
LancsTerrible
Different Forms of Game.
ESB Addict

vCash: 2238

McCall in the second bout against Lewis.
LancsTerrible is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Barrera PAC 2... it was only survival in there for one man and not be humiliated.
A ridiculous shout. I expected nothing less from you, Doc.

Let's discount shot fighters. They'd no longer have been world level operators at the time of the fight.

Quote:
yep I think Gatti knew what was going to happen

I think it was Brian Kenny doing a split screen interview between Floyd and Gatti before their fight. Anyways, Floyd was saying every and anything he wanted. Gatti just sat there with a passive look of acceptance in his eyes. It was a look of defeat.

I don't think it was in Gatti's nature to give it any verbal pre-fight. I watched an interview where he was adament that Floyd had never fought anyone who could punch like him. He certainly convinced me based on that interview alone that he expected to have a good chance at victory against Mayweather Jr.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #14
Doc
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
A ridiculous shout. I expected nothing less from you, Doc.

Let's discount shot fighters. They'd no longer have been world level operators at the time of the fight.

A little rivalry doesn't hurt
Doc is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

When Hatton made the throat gesture at the weigh in against Floyd something told me there was real doubt in his mind.Bonecrusher Smith more or less said on TV the other night that going into the Tyson fight he knew his work was cut out for him and it wasn't till late in the fight he realised that there was a way to get at Mike.Leonard knew he was in trouble in training for the Camacho debacle.Razor Ruddock looked spooked going in with Lewis IMO as well.Has anyone before Hate went into a title fight with a plan to highlight his excuse in the event of a defeat?
PityTheFool is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum