Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Has a top level fighter ever gone into a fighter expecting to lose?
Yes (give examples in the thread) 34 94.44%
No 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #31
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Re: Has a world level fighter ever gone into a fight thinking they'd lose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwormjim View Post
danny williams vs del boy chisora. he admitted before the fight he was shot!!

Let's discount shot fighters. Danny Williams wasn't even really a world level operator during his peak years.
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #32
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Has a world level fighter ever gone into a fight thinking they'd lose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Duran looked in good shape and was fighting on almost even terms with Ray before he quit. I think Duran's troubles ahead of the fight are overstated, and he almost certainly felt he was going to beat Ray for a second time. In my opinion, at least.
I totally agree that he wasnt getting school by Ray as some make it out. But he didnt train (said so in his book anyway), and had to lose a huge amount of weight in the days leading up to it.

I'm probably being a little unfair. Duran is my favourite fighter of all time, but i dont think he fancied it that night
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #33
motorcity
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 520

Spinks in the Tyson fight. That wasn't even thinking. He knew he'd lose.
motorcity is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #34
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vano-Irons View Post
How about Duran in the second Leonard fight? He openly didnt train properly, wasnt eating right, and didnt really fancy it
I see where you're coming from,but I don't think Duran ever went into a fight thinking he wouldn't find a way.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #35
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlesX7 View Post
What's with the italics?

It looks less ugly on this display. Personal preference.

Have any input in regards to the thread question, C?
Addie is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #36
sosolid4u09
4 8 15 16 23 42
East Side Guru

if you include fighters way past their primes that knew they would lose the list could be long.
sosolid4u09 is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #37
sosolid4u09
4 8 15 16 23 42
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Let's discount shot fighters. Danny Williams wasn't even really a world level operator during his peak years.
the klit lickers will tell you a peak dany williams is better than a peak george foreman
sosolid4u09 is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #38
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vano-Irons View Post
I totally agree that he wasnt getting school by Ray as some make it out. But he didnt train (said so in his book anyway), and had to lose a huge amount of weight in the days leading up to it.

I'm probably being a little unfair. Duran is my favourite fighter of all time, but i dont think he fancied it that night
Yeah, Duran almost certainly did train ahead of the fight. Fighters, especially the great ones, always conjure up some reasoning for their shortcomings. Duran has probably convinced himself that he didn't train, but I find that incredibly hard to believe considering how much he hated Ray and how important the fight was on the grandscale. Could he have trained better? Perhaps, but that isn't the same as not training at all.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #39
Big George
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
does arturo gatti count was world level?
no!
Big George is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #40
beatsy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 950

I'm a big Marquez fan but, watching the 24/7 with Mayweather, I really didn't think he or Nacho thought they could do it. you can see the twinkle in his eye for the Pac fight tho.
beatsy is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #41
DOM5153
They Cannot Run Forever
East Side Guru

vCash: 7562

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud1 View Post
Joe calzaghe was petrified of jeff lacy he thought he was going to lose and then put on a great clinic.
Lacy wasnt looking too sure about himself just before the fight, i dont recall Calzaghe being afraid of Lacy beforehand.
DOM5153 is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #42
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

No, I don't think so, if we are ignoring shot fighters. All boxers need self belief and the guys who become world class are all mentally strong. You could ask any welterweight in the world whether Wlad would knock them out and not one would openly admit that, I don't think. Some might laugh it off, some might not answer but I don't think you'd get a single one admitting they'd have no chance. Boxing fans would call them "deluded", and it is, but boxers need to be deluded sometimes. If fighters like Mayweather was realistic about his abilities, I don't think he would be the fighter he is.

I think the sport relies too much on mental strength for fighters to doubt themselves. Journeyman or lower level fighters do, yes, but elite fighters all have arrogance.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #43
sportofkings
Champion
East Side Guru

Floyd Patterson vs Sonny liston. Poor fella was shitting himself beforehand, as ive ead in David remnicks book. He even had his glasses and beard disguise ready so that he could leave town without anyone knowing.
sportofkings is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #44
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
No, I don't think so, if we are ignoring shot fighters. All boxers need self belief and the guys who become world class are all mentally strong. You could ask any welterweight in the world whether Wlad would knock them out and not one would openly admit that, I don't think. Some might laugh it off, some might not answer but I don't think you'd get a single one admitting they'd have no chance. Boxing fans would call them "deluded", and it is, but boxers need to be deluded sometimes. If fighters like Mayweather was realistic about his abilities, I don't think he would be the fighter he is.

I think the sport relies too much on mental strength for fighters to doubt themselves. Journeyman or lower level fighters do, yes, but elite fighters all have arrogance.
I agree with you, Jack.

I think if Cristian Mijares was fighting Donaire tomorrow, he'd genuinely think he was going to win the fight. Perhaps even comfortably.

Addie is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #45
kylmac85
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 945

mosley vs manny
kylmac85 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum