Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-31-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 272
Default If you were a proffesional Boxer?

Would you be more interested in taking the biggest challenges so that you will be remembered as one of the GOAT although obviously each time risking losing and damaging your career.

Or would you do what most boxers do and always look for the fight which offers the most Money, and offers the smallest Challenge.

Be Honest
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
Atlanta
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 528
Default Re: If you were a proffesional Boxer?

You can't remember what you did if you have brain damage. Let alone pay the medical bills if you are broke.
Atlanta is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920

Well, I don't think I'd ever reach the top as a pro anyway, otherwise I would have been doing it now. But I guess it depends on were my life was. If I had a family to feed, etc...looking for big purses would be my priority. Whereas, if I had no family to worry about, like I don't now, then yeah...I think I'd take the risky/legacy building bouts.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

yeh i think i'm assuming you're one of the top people in the game. You've already good money then your faced with a couple of options like:
A: You can Fight Chavez Junior in Mexico, earn a ton of Money, but get no recognition.

or B: you can fight someone like Martinez - you don't earn as much money, but winning would give you massive respect and enhace your legacy.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
yeh i think i'm assuming you're one of the top people in the game. You've already good money then your faced with a couple of options like:
A: You can Fight Chavez Junior in Mexico, earn a ton of Money, but get no recognition.

or B: you can fight someone like Martinez - you don't earn as much money, but winning would give you massive respect and enhace your legacy.
It's a ****ing good question, and I'll assume the majority will say they will go for the legacy building bout...even if they have never stepped foot in the ring.

From my boxing experience, I never turned down a fight/spar, etc...so I will go on that basis and say IF I was one of the top guys in the sport, I would have the confidence to step in with the top guy in Martinez.

Whole different story when you actually have to consider stepping in with him for real though.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

or some other options:
If you were Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacman right now: would you fight Marquez or Martinez - You'd earn more fighting Marquez - But get more respect Fighting Martinez - Yet the money earned is not much differant, and marquez is very low risk.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyW View Post
It's a ****ing good question, and I'll assume the majority will say they will go for the legacy building bout...even if they have never stepped foot in the ring.

From my boxing experience, I never turned down a fight/spar, etc...so I will go on that basis and say IF I was one of the top guys in the sport, I would have the confidence to step in with the top guy in Martinez.

Whole different story when you actually have to consider stepping in with him for real though.
Exactly - if there was two guys in your gym. And your trainer said I'll pay you $1000 to fight a fat chubby useless kid. or $500 to have a fight with a guy who's on your level.

Which one woud you take
Old 10-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
sunnn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 101

Quote:

the most obvious would chavez. unless you have a promoter that can force you to fight martinez, because you belong in same stable.

however, if am already financially secured, id prolly go after the legacy fights.

dela hoya wasnt as damaged as people would to think. i think compare favorably with mayweather who is undefeated in the atg rank solely based on teh competition he faced.
sunnn is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnn View Post
the most obvious would chavez. unless you have a promoter that can force you to fight martinez, because you belong in same stable.

however, if am already financially secured, id prolly go after the legacy fights.

dela hoya wasnt as damaged as people would to think. i think compare favorably with mayweather who is undefeated in the atg rank solely based on teh competition he faced.
For me DeLa Hoya and Mosley are the 2 fighters who were more about taking the bigger challenges. DeLaHoya his whole career. And Mosley when he beat de la hoya and became the superstar of boxing, he could have milked it for all its worth but instead he takes on people like Winky Wright!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Exactly - if there was two guys in your gym. And your trainer said I'll pay you $1000 to fight a fat chubby useless kid. or $500 to have a fight with a guy who's on your level.

Which one woud you take
Honestly, I'd take the guy who was on my level. I used to hate sparring the fat, chubby, useless kids. They gained a great deal from it, whereas I gained **** all.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
Mordechai
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

first i would milk my title and the when my future is save i would try to get the best
Mordechai is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 AM   #12
GJM
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 295

I personally have no problem with fighters taking the big money / low risk fights as long as its followed by a challenge. So take the $1000 for the chubby useless kid and then fight the $500 kid on your level. Money fight, challenge, money fight challenge seems fair enough to me.
GJM is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #13
sunnn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
I personally have no problem with fighters taking the big money / low risk fights as long as its followed by a challenge. So take the $1000 for the chubby useless kid and then fight the $500 kid on your level. Money fight, challenge, money fight challenge seems fair enough to me.
fair enough.
sunnn is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
FlatNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I would do the exact opposite of Floyd Mayweather Jr.
FlatNose is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2011, 09:12 AM   #15
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

i would build my legacy by fighting everyone as Muhammad Ali did he ****ing beat a dude up cuz he wouldnt say his name
greathamza is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum