Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
Alzow
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Default Should I fight orthodox or southpaw?

I just started boxing a month ago and I'm right handed. My coach has me training in orthodox stance but it doesn't seem to be getting anymore comfortable as I continue. My jab is bad, my footwork is bad, and whenever I throw my right I lose my balance . I can't push off or turn my right leg like I want to because I have weak ankle (broke it 7 years ago and waiting to get reconstructive surgery on it). As a result my left leg has become my power leg over the years to overcompensate for my weak ankle.

When I switch to southpaw everything feels much better. I know they say your power hand should be in the back, but honestly I don't feel like my right is any stronger than my left. My punches are coming off snappy, accurate, and strong from both arms in this position. My footwork is better (quicker) and I can move like I want to. I feel less awkward throwing from southpaw stance.

I want to give the orthodox stance a chance but mobility is a big issue for my right leg. I just wanted to get someones opinion on the situation. Should I stick it out a bit longer to see if it gets better or make the switch to southpaw? These slow guys are lighting me up during sparring sessions and its starting to get to me.
Alzow is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
TomUK
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 113
vCash: 215
Default Re: Should I fight orthodox or southpaw?

Stand up straight with your feet next to each other, close your eyes, and have someone give you a light push from behind. Whichever foot you put forward to stop yourself from falling is your lead foot.

Whatever the outcome is I would stick with that as your lead foot. It's going to feel awkward and unnatural when you first start whether your southpaw or orthadox. If it was easy everyone would be doing it and doing it well.

You need to make your mind up now and stick with it however uncomfortable it feels. The longer you spend switching stances the longer you are not making the progress you should be.

Practice basic foot drills at home, forget about the punching for a minute while your not at the gym. Start off in your stance, infront of a mirror if possible, and take a step to the right, to the left etc. And check your stance after each move.
TomUK is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
Fredd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Default Re: Should I fight orthodox or southpaw?

you might aswell switch to southpaw, although you have only had a month of boxing, so dont expect your movement and everything to be amazing yet
Fredd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Boxinglad123
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 75
Default Re: Should I fight orthodox or southpaw?

You started boxing a month ago, of course you're going to be shit. Whatever you and your coach think is best in the long run is what you should do starting now.
Boxinglad123 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 347
Default Re: Should I fight orthodox or southpaw?

I actually have this question also, I'm a right handed south-paw. I am more coordinated in my southpaw stance, but when sparring in orthodox stance I can land my jab at will
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,666
vCash: 202
Default Re: Should I fight orthodox or southpaw?

If it's a mobility problem with your right foot, then it might make sense to switch up and learn as a lefty if that feels best. Better to make the switch now after a month than a year from now when you'd have to re-learn everything.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 356
vCash: 500
Default Re: Should I fight orthodox or southpaw?

Well, you did say you have a bad ankle, so shouldn't he have the bad ankle in front? Not sure, but that's what I was thinking.
MURDR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:20 AM   #8
Sprawla
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 566
vCash: 500
Default Re: Should I fight orthodox or southpaw?

Im a left handed orthodox, but i kick naturally right foot. My power hand is my left, so i jab well and hook well.
I wish i was naturally a south paw, because everyone seems to have trouble with south paws, i hate south paws and i think it is an advantage to be a south paw.
South paws face right handers more then right handers face south paws, so south paws get more practise at facing a righty then the righty does the southpaw.

what ever stance you feel more balanced when you punch and have better footwork in is the stance you should box in.
Sprawla is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
Fredd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Default Re: Should I fight orthodox or southpaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawla View Post
Im a left handed orthodox, but i kick naturally right foot. My power hand is my left, so i jab well and hook well.
I wish i was naturally a south paw, because everyone seems to have trouble with south paws, i hate south paws and i think it is an advantage to be a south paw.
South paws face right handers more then right handers face south paws, so south paws get more practise at facing a righty then the righty does the southpaw.

what ever stance you feel more balanced when you punch and have better footwork in is the stance you should box in.
agree with all of this
Fredd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:46 AM   #10
stephen
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 331
Default Re: Should I fight orthodox or southpaw?

u should fight orthodox i ****ing hate southpaws ave fought enough of the cunts

Last edited by stephen; 11-01-2011 at 02:59 PM.
stephen is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:52 AM   #11
stephen
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 331
Default Re: Should I fight orthodox or southpaw?

i ****ing hate southpaws
stephen is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #12
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,902
vCash: 1290
Default Re: Should I fight orthodox or southpaw?

Depends on which is your dominant eye. Being right handed it's most likely your right.
lefty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:58 AM   #13
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,902
vCash: 1290
Default Re: Should I fight orthodox or southpaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
If it's a mobility problem with your right foot, then it might make sense to switch up and learn as a lefty if that feels best. Better to make the switch now after a month than a year from now when you'd have to re-learn everything.
That's not exactly true, motor patterns don't discriminate between hemispheres. If you learn something with your dominant hand it translates to the other hand quite effectively. The problem with people fighting in the stance that is comfortable at first is that their movements aren't going to be correct at first so they'll develop motor patterns that aren't correct just because it feels 'easier'. During the verbal-cognitive stage of learning things aren't meant to be comfortable or easy. Learning a skill such as throwing a straight left is going to be made easier by first learning how to throw a straight right correctly, if you're right handed.
lefty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,666
vCash: 202
Default Re: Should I fight orthodox or southpaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
That's not exactly true, motor patterns don't discriminate between hemispheres. If you learn something with your dominant hand it translates to the other hand quite effectively. The problem with people fighting in the stance that is comfortable at first is that their movements aren't going to be correct at first so they'll develop motor patterns that aren't correct just because it feels 'easier'. During the verbal-cognitive stage of learning things aren't meant to be comfortable or easy. Learning a skill such as throwing a straight left is going to be made easier by first learning how to throw a straight right correctly, if you're right handed.
Is this true for boxing though?

Because the movements a southpaw does and the WAY they fight is different. it's not just a mirror image of the way a righty fights. So while he'll already 'know' how to throw his basic punches and do his basic movements, he'll still have to re-learn how to fight (ie put it together in the ring).
KillSomething is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #15
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,102
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Should I fight orthodox or southpaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzow View Post
I just started boxing a month ago and I'm right handed. My coach has me training in orthodox stance but it doesn't seem to be getting anymore comfortable as I continue. My jab is bad, my footwork is bad, and whenever I throw my right I lose my balance . I can't push off or turn my right leg like I want to because I have weak ankle (broke it 7 years ago and waiting to get reconstructive surgery on it). As a result my left leg has become my power leg over the years to overcompensate for my weak ankle.

When I switch to southpaw everything feels much better. I know they say your power hand should be in the back, but honestly I don't feel like my right is any stronger than my left. My punches are coming off snappy, accurate, and strong from both arms in this position. My footwork is better (quicker) and I can move like I want to. I feel less awkward throwing from southpaw stance.

I want to give the orthodox stance a chance but mobility is a big issue for my right leg. I just wanted to get someones opinion on the situation. Should I stick it out a bit longer to see if it gets better or make the switch to southpaw? These slow guys are lighting me up during sparring sessions and its starting to get to me.
I say swtich, if the power is close. Fighters need to pick a stance and style that works for them.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013