Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
GDG
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How can a dominant American HW-Champ save Boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
Not just Tyson but Ali too! Yeah, I really miss the days of Ali vs Wepner don't you? Gosh, I really miss seeing the Rope a Dope style of defense! Now that was exciting boxing!!
Haha, are you seriously saying that Ali's fights were as boring as Wlad's??

Ridiculous statement.

I really like Wlad, I'm a purist who appreciates what he does. If you read my post, I was responding to the guy who said Wlad would be as popular as Tyson if he were American...this simply isn't true.
GDG is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #17
GDG
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How can a dominant American HW-Champ save Boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownfightfan View Post
Don't know how to multiquote but I'm gonna agree and disagree with your post for differing reasons.
IMO, as an American and former Holmes superfan, the HW division is stronger than it ever was. The problem lies only in the 100% boxing dedication displayed by the K2. Their dedication to athleticism and strength and ring generalship has damn near made them invincible. Damn near. Wlad still has defensive liabilities, and Vitali IS 40+ y/o. Both can be beaten by the right style, by a fighter not afraid to lose. That said, only Marciano walked away HWCotW w/o blemish....dare I say, Adamek would erase that 0 faster than a $2 whore would erase a crack rock.

I agree that to the casual fan, Wlad, is NOT as exciting as Tyson....at least not the current, but better overall version. The prePuritty Wlad, being an American HW, and a threat to LL, Tyson, and Holyfield would have have been hugely recieved by the casual fan, but fighting mostly overseas, out of view of the casual fan, most couldn't get his and Vitali's name straight, even AFTER the Sanders/Lewis' losses.

As for Holmes....his style was greatly received, but his legacy suffered only b/c who preceded and relieved him of his crown. He talks shit about it, even today, but most of the casual fans measure him against Ali and Tyson, and when Mike KOd him, he was never looked at as the measuring stick again.

Can't disagree with the last statement either.....but then again, we are NOT casual fans, and in a premium sport, the casual fans are usually disinterested until the hometown boy does good.

Your post makes a lot of sense and is well written, but are you saying that Adamek would beat Marciano?? If so there's not really anything to base that on at all and is quite absurd.
GDG is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum