Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 11-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #1
Zmora
Sława!!!
ESB Full Member

vCash: 3457
Default Your views on current CW division...

I know that CW has never been considered as an exciting or competitive division but I've been always quite interested in it as this is Europe's strongest division.
It was after yesterday's Lebedev - Toney fight that one thought came to me- what we are witnessing right now is some kind of cruiser weight division downfall.
Look, Lebedev is a top challenger, beat current WBO champ (yeah I'm thinking about Huck) and probably would give anyone in this division a tough time. Yet his recent performances have been highly disappointing. Toney was terrible, still Denis had problems hitting him (he did but also missed a lot), wasn't really aggressive, never jump on James to finish him, etc...

Champs in this division, also aren't the best ones we would have wanted.
Huck is a slugger, dirty boxer, no technic. At least he gives his best when fighting. Probably giving best performances right now.
Wlodarczyk is so passive, think there is sth wrong with his confidence. Great fights with Fraggomeni and that is all. Doesn't pull the trigger recently.
Guillermo Jones fights like once in 1.5 year, is getting old, but to me still seems the most legit champ (skill-wise).
Yoan Pablo Hernández...this guy would be probably fed to Huck in unification bout.

Also USS is way past his best days.

Few years ago CW was much stronger with prime Maccarinelli, Mormeck and Cunn. Then came David Haye and Adamek after him. It used to be quite an exciting division. I thing if those guys were still around and prime, non of the current champs would have his belt.

And the worse part is that I don't see any challenger right now to change this situation.

What do you think?

Last edited by Zmora; 11-05-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Zmora is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
damian38
El Chicano- #1 GGG fan
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Your views on current CW division...

Mateusz Masternak is the future of the CW divison, very talented fighter
damian38 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

CW probably doesn't have any A+ talent or guys that will be named in the P4P discussion but it is stacked with A- and B+/= talent. These guys are solid fighters and the depth in the division is excellent.

Belt Holders:

Huck
Lebedev
Wlodarczyk
Jones
Hernandez

Contenders

Cunningham
Tarver
Ross
Frenkel
Afolabi
Herelius
Palacios
Drozd
Green
Alekseev
Licina

Prospects

Chakhkiev
Kolodziej
Masternak
Kucher
Kayode

Nobody gave a **** when JCG, Jirov, Toney were around, nobody gave a **** when Adamek, Haye, Mormeck were around. Most people have some kind of irrational hate for the CW divison but anyone claiming there's no talent is simply wrong.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Zmora
Sława!!!
ESB Full Member

I like Masternak too. I'm only worried by the way his promoters handle his career. They should start with some bigger fights than in Ostrowiec Świętokrzyski;P he is in a right age to start building his way to fighting for a major belt.

@Vysotsky I'm not saying there is no talent in CW. I meant that there is no one with this...glitter. Guy deserving to carry The RING belt:P probably there is somebody like this but hasn't showed up yet
Zmora is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Ncc84
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 160

Cruiserweight is one of my favourite weights. There are a lot of very talented fighters there. But people are just dismissive of the division and just view is as a failed heavyweight division.
But no other weight division is rated on how well they do against the next weight class up.
People miss the heavyweight division of 70s and dont enjoy watching the larger slower heavyweights of today and wonder what has happened to the heavyweights of the past, but this is where they are, cunningham, huck, wlodarczyk hernandez etc would all have made excellent heavyweights in the past.

Look at the talent in this division and compare to that of lhw, middleweight, and lightmiddleweight and its clear this is a very strong division
Ncc84 is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
pirao666
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Rakhim Chakhiev is the future of the division, and a very fun fighter to watch.
pirao666 is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
ludwig
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirao666 View Post
This. Chakhiev has star potential.

I like cruiserweight, lots of fun watchable fights. These guys carry one punch KO power AND they can move. True, some of the champs have lesser boxing skills, but guys like Lebedev and Cunningham never get the credit they deserve.

YPH, imo, has the potential to be a lasting champ as well. Very excited to see the rematch with USS Cunningham.
ludwig is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Zmora
Sława!!!
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
YPH, imo, has the potential to be a lasting champ as well. Very excited to see the rematch with USS Cunningham.
I'm not sure about that. Guy has some skills but there's no fire in him. If you go to the fight being so passive with trainer having to yell at you to actually do something then it's hard to stay long in this business. I'm not trying do discredit him, but I always have this feeling during his fights that he just woke up from a long sleep;P
Zmora is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
Joe_MacKenzie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirao666 View Post
I agree. He's probably the most talented fighter in the division, and I think even now he'd have a good chance of beating the titleholders.
Joe_MacKenzie is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum