Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #16
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ferdie Pacheco a jackass

I can't disagree with some of the criticisms thus far made.. However, I did enjoy some of his work on showtime championship boxing ages ago. He did have a good working knowledge of the sport and took a very realistic view when talking about fighter's who were aging, deconditioned and probably shouldn't have been in there. He was a doctor afterall, and a lot of his philosophy gravitated towards that.. He is a very well educated and intelligent man, depsite some of his biased views.. He is fluent in several languages and believe it or not, even did some commentary work on some of the spanish sports networks... Don't have a problem with him personally.. Just because someone didn't like something he said on ONE documentary, it shouldn't sum up his whole career, which spanned for many years...Sure he has his short cummings but for every boxing personality we post on, somebody isn't going to like them...
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #17
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

He is an arrogant, whinny prick .. I met him several times and interviewed him and all he did was bitch and moan ... his behavior in the interviews for the Thrill doc was embarrassing for himself ... some real stupid sh-t coming out of his mouth for sure ... he looked like a cranky, miserable, forgotten old man which is what he has become ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #18
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDW View Post
Just watched the hbo special on Thrilla in manila
I know what you are talking about? When he said Joe Frazier was dumb. I thought he was out of line to get personal. I never had anything against Ferdie, but that comment was not fair. He really doesn't know Joe.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #19
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

I have an interesting comment about Ferdie. I used to call Vegas and Atlantic City when a big fight was happening and ask for the people (related to boxing) I thought would be there like the trainers and fighters and announcers and others. I would interview them with a made up newspaper name, and they answered it since I did know what i was talking about.. You have to stay on point and ask What is his weight now and all that stuff and it eventually it gets interesting. I have many of the interviews on tape. With Foreman and Hagler.

About Ferdie, I was in California at that time, and it was 7 in the morning. There was a fight in Atlantic City or somewhere east. I didn't think about it the time difference, and called Ferdie's hotel room. He answered groggily and I said this is so and so from this newspaper. he said "do you know what time it is??" And I said. Oh sorry. He said "call later" and he said bye. But he was actually not too upset.. A small comment but I always remember that.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #20
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I like Pacheco, but I thought he was very disrespectful by calling Joe Frazier dumb.
Abdullah is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #21
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
I have an interesting comment about Ferdie. I used to call Vegas and Atlantic City when a big fight was happening and ask for the people (related to boxing) I thought would be there like the trainers and fighters and announcers and others. I would interview them with a made up newspaper name, and they answered it since I did know what i was talking about.. You have to stay on point and ask What is his weight now and all that stuff and it eventually it gets interesting. I have many of the interviews on tape. With Foreman and Hagler.

About Ferdie, I was in California at that time, and it was 7 in the morning. There was a fight in Atlantic City or somewhere east. I didn't think about it the time difference, and called Ferdie's hotel room. He answered groggily and I said this is so and so from this newspaper. he said "do you know what time it is??" And I said. Oh sorry. He said "call later" and he said bye. But he was actually not too upset.. A small comment but I always remember that.
Aw, hell, he was just glad you weren't the fuzz, calling about the dead prostitute he was "sleeping" next to.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #22
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I don't have to like the man personally..i don't really care..i do know that he was an intelligent fight commentator at times.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #23
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
"Give me credit! Give me credit for saying Ali should stop when he could no longer hit a ****ing speed bag! I'm the man!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Although he could be a little pompous at times,we have to give credit where credit's due. He did walk away from the Ali circus in '77 when it was apparent that Muhammad was n't quite the same guy he was a couple of years beforehand.
See.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #24
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Didn't he run a free clinic as a Miami ghetto doc?
SLAKKA is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #25
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He was a complete moron in the documentary and disrespectful to Frazier. But he's old and maybe not quite in his right mind. I didn't mind him so much with Marv Albert in the 80's. On a brighter note, the late Butch Lewis was awesome in that documentary.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #26
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

never liked Pacheco's commentary.
lora is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #27
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
never liked Pacheco's commentary.
Why not? He was extremely insightful and even poetic. Example: On Duran's smirking at De Jesus "I haven't seen anything that evilly smarmy since, uh,...the movies..."

...Even Al Bernstein couldn't dust that cookie, L.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #28
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 36829

Jamming a round-peg adjective like "evil" through the square adverb hole takes some seriously slick/slickly serious acuity.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #29
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

But being a doctor, why was this guy always so heavy? Fat doctors always strike me as kind of odd.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #30
SLAKKA
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Fat MDs are freekin everywhere.
SLAKKA is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum