boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sligo, ireland
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 75
Default could an independent regulation body be set up ?

bear with me here....thinking aloud...

i really think manny pacquaio lost that fight on sat night....and i was thinking if we will ever see a truly independent body getting set up to oversee all outcomes and decisions regardless of governing bodies ?

or are the various organisations too much of a closed shop to allow such a thing in ?....a totally independent body i mean
doug.ie is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
drunkboat
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 497
vCash: 500
Default Re: could an independent regulation body be set up ?

But what happens when they come up with a decision that you dont like? Humans are always subjective in what they see.
drunkboat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
des3995
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,497
vCash: 6125
Default Re: could an independent regulation body be set up ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.ie View Post
bear with me here....thinking aloud...

i really think manny pacquaio lost that fight on sat night....and i was thinking if we will ever see a truly independent body getting set up to oversee all outcomes and decisions regardless of governing bodies ?

or are the various organisations too much of a closed shop to allow such a thing in ?....a totally independent body i mean
Boxing needs some kind of governing body. Not just to oversee individual fights, but to keep the orgs and the promoters from putting their self interest and personal gain ahead of the sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkboat View Post
But what happens when they come up with a decision that you dont like? Humans are always subjective in what they see.
Generally speaking, I can live with almost any decision providing it was reached in an appropriate way. Problem with boxing is.......how often do you see a poor or questionable decision go in favor of the lesser known, less backed fighter.

Sad part is that it's not even a surprise anymore when these things happen.
des3995 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
drunkboat
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 497
vCash: 500
Default Re: could an independent regulation body be set up ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by des3995 View Post
Boxing needs some kind of governing body. Not just to oversee individual fights, but to keep the orgs and the promoters from putting their self interest and personal gain ahead of the sport.



Generally speaking, I can live with almost any decision providing it was reached in an appropriate way. Problem with boxing is.......how often do you see a poor or questionable decision go in favor of the lesser known, less backed fighter.

Sad part is that it's not even a surprise anymore when these things happen.


Boxing is different because often the result is not clear and of course you think your fighter won. Cant imagine a football game finishing 0-0 and then 3 judges having to make a decision who won.
drunkboat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
des3995
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,497
vCash: 6125
Default Re: could an independent regulation body be set up ?

Delete
des3995 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 272
Default Re: could an independent regulation body be set up ?

OMG

I'm going to create a list of fights that were very close, yet people moan and cry about them being robberies.

And Yes Pac Marquez 3 goes in at number 1.

Will prob stick leonard hagler in there too.
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
des3995
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,497
vCash: 6125
Default Re: could an independent regulation body be set up ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkboat View Post
Boxing is different because often the result is not clear and of course you think your fighter won. Cant imagine a football game finishing 0-0 and then 3 judges having to make a decision who won.
Of course.

I'm not even talking about this fight, which I haven't even seen yet.

To me, it's asking for trouble if you have promoters and abc orgs calling the shots. Whether a decision is in question or not, there will always be a level of suspicion because these people have alot at stake in the outcome of a fight.

If there is a governing body, and they have no vested interest, hopefully they can establish some confidence in the system at the very least.

I also think there should be more than 3 judges in order to get a larger sample.
des3995 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015