Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-14-2011, 07:37 AM   #16
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Minter v Eubank

Wouldn't what Watson did in their first bout be a better comparison than Close. Eubank was probably more up for those 2 fights too, do we think that's Eubanks prime/best performances? Beautiful technical boxing from Watson, I actually think he might be better than Minter

I think if Watson was around today he'd be undisputed MW champ, only Ward and Dirrell would be able to beat him 168
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #17
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

yeah, the first Watson fight is a good indicator how a fight between eubank and Minter might look(or the 2nd and 3rd Finnegan minter fights...not the slopfest first).Watson had better defence and more rounded counterpunching than Minter, with Minter being quicker on his feet and throwing a higher volume of quality straight punches(than that Watson anyway)

Watson was excellent 2nd time out against Eubank.You could certainly argue he was better than Minter ever was by that fight, assuming it was indiicative of the overall level he had reached and not just a case of fighting the right tactical fight to solve Eubank.That's something we'll never know alas.
lora is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #18
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 483

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
I watched the Close fights at the time, I didn't score fights back then but I remember it was boring. Most people have Close winning at least 1 of them from what I remember, it was widely considered a robbery on some thread long ago, someone went off on a rant blaming Eubank and the robbery for Ray Closes life going down the toilet
Actually Close cost Eubank his '0'. Eubank/CloseIII was set up until Close failed a medical and another Irishman by the name of Steve Collins stepped in late for the date...
TBooze is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum