boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Pavleek

vCash: 500
Default My straight left

Hi guys. I'm 21 years old, my height is 6 4, weight - 83 kgs, southpaw. My boxing exp is about 2 years. I did a lot of spars, but have never gone into a competition in amateurs ( but desire to try). I had about 3 months of rest, during that time I did some strength training and shadowboxing to stay in shape. Now I've continued my training and faced the problem with my straight left punch: I throw it really fast and it brings a lot of power, but i can't pull it back quickly. And I've noticed, that my stance became more narrow and though my left travels more distance, and my weight shifts forward. When I throw my left I: 1) turn the waist 2) turn my shoulders 3) throw my hand 4)when the arm is almost extended, i'm turning the fist with thumb down and my leg in the way my left toe 'looks' at my right heel. But I feel I'm doing something wrong. My trainer can't determine the reason, he just says that I fall forward with a punch and that's bad. Thanks for your attention! PS. I'm novice at esb so I send my greetings to you, guys. Boxing is cool. Cheers
Pavleek is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
LongJab
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: My straight left

Well, if your trainer is there watching you throw the straight left and he can't figure it out... GET A NEW TRAINER.

And really, without a video, there is no way for internet gurus to give you advice. Besides, most responses will come from 14 year olds who are backyard boxing champs.

Only thing I can add is try to imagine RIPPING your right shoulder back when you throw the left. Keep that front knee bent so your hips can rotate. You will have some weight transfer to the lead foot, but if your head goes beyond your lead knee, you are REACHING.

And on retracting the straight left... think of a swordfight and you just plunged your sword into your opponents heart. Now you have to rip the sword back before his muscles tighten a squeeze on that blade causing it to get stuck.
LongJab is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2011, 03:10 AM   #3
Pavleek

Default Re: My straight left

LongJab, thanks a lot for your reply. I'll try to concentrate on points you've noticed.
Pavleek is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing