Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 11-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
JayF
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Matchmaking for MMA promotions

A hot topic in UK MMA circles right now, Cage Warriors FC director Graham Boylan gives us his thoughts on matchmaking and how promotions should be doing it but, more often than not, how they actually aren't.

Quote:
The matchmaking scenario. How does it all work and what’s the method behind the madness?

I think it’s crystal clear in the game today to spot the promoters that are out to get ticket money and those that are out for the sport. I was at a show this year and spoke with a lot of fighters there, one fighter in particular. I asked, “why are you not on this show?” The reply? “Because I can’t sell enough tickets.” “Are you serious?” “Yeah, the first thing this promoter says is ‘if you can’t sell tickets you can’t fight on the show.’”

So there you have it I guess, that’s the match making scenario sorted; sell tickets and you get to fight. Match done.

Now let’s put things in perspective, a show has to pay for itself and, yes, fighters do need to have some kind of fan base to be attractive to the promoter BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, a promoter should not be matching an entire card based on ticket selling fighters alone.

THIS IS NOT MATCHMAKING…..this is thinking tickets, money and profit first, and MMA the sport second.
Check it out here:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
JayF is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Re: Matchmaking for MMA promotions

An MMA promotion is an entertainment venture.

If a fighter is unable to generate a fanbase and has a proven history of stinking the joint out when he gets into the cage, he does not have any right to appear on the card.

Why should the guy who doesn't sell tickets and who causes the fan's enjoyment of the show to lessen get the spot on the card over the guy who does sell tickets and gets the crowd roaring?

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post

If a fighter is unable to generate a fanbase and has a proven history of stinking the joint out when he gets into the cage, he does not have any right to appear on the card.

Why should the guy who doesn't sell tickets and who causes the fan's enjoyment of the show to lessen get the spot on the card over the guy who does sell tickets and gets the crowd roaring?

...Because Jon Fitch wins fights

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict

best match of lay and pray was gray maynard vs kenny flo.
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchburg View Post
...Because Jon Fitch wins fights

Lynchburg
1) Fitch is a p4per.

2) Fitch doesn't headline cards unless he's fighting a GSP or a Penn.

3) Is this discussion about universally-recognized top-10 p4pers?

4) If nobody is buying tickets to see fighter A, and then he gets in the cage and lays on top of his journeyman opponent doing nothing and wins a boring decision while the fans boo, and nobody enjoys the fight and nobody wants to buy a ticket to see him again, and in fact his presence on the next card makes the fans anticipate it less, why does he have a right to a spot on the next card?

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
JayF
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:

I think he's trying to say that well matched, entertaining fights are actually the way forward, as opposed to just matching a ticket seller with a bum so his fans get to see him kick someone's head in.
JayF is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
Flash Jab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 100

I'd say the matchmaking in MMA is one of the best parts.
Flash Jab is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449

Quote:
1) Fitch is a p4per.

2) Fitch doesn't headline cards unless he's fighting a GSP or a Penn.

3) Is this discussion about universally-recognized top-10 p4pers?

4) If nobody is buying tickets to see fighter A, and then he gets in the cage and lays on top of his journeyman opponent doing nothing and wins a boring decision while the fans boo, and nobody enjoys the fight and nobody wants to buy a ticket to see him again, and in fact his presence on the next card makes the fans anticipate it less, why does he have a right to a spot on the next card?

If the guy wins then he has the right to move on to another show even if he pins the guy down for all the rounds and does nothing else.

If fans don't like that then they can always go to a Muay Thai or kickboxing event and start bitching how a wrestler would take them apart...

What is the point of matching a guy up with a 60 second knock out fight just so drunk people can jump up and down...

I may be wrong but for me MMA is a sport first and entertainment second. Maybe that is because i train four nights a week and when it comes to competition if i can win in a boring way or lose for entertainment purposes then I'm sorry but I'll bore you...

(no hate btw... just my opinion )

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayF View Post
I think he's trying to say that well matched, entertaining fights are actually the way forward, as opposed to just matching a ticket seller with a bum so his fans get to see him kick someone's head in.
This...

A few guys i train with are having a real big problem finding fights at the moment as no one will fight them at their level and they don't want to fight cans... this is where the entertainment side of the game is hurting the sport.

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think people are missing the point here.

They're not talking about people who'll drew a buzz or raise the profile of the show. They're literally talking about actual ticket sellers.

I'm writing about this in the next edition of Fighting Spirit Magazine, but British promotions are struggling to attract fans. Pretty much the only way to get people through the do is to get fighters who have networks that they can directly sell tickets to i.e. gyms, friends and family
Will Cooling is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum