Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #16
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The "styles make fights" cliche'...

Styles make fights is a true adage. The phrase might get overused though, especially when people bring it up when fighters are simply of a different class/caliber.

There's also little things that make a fighter more of a problematic style matchup than others. It's a fairly broad generalization to say "Pacquiao has trouble with counter-punchers". Cotto was a very good counter-puncher. Barrera was an excellent counter-puncher. I don't think too many people would argue against the statement that Barrera and Marquez are of a similar caliber. Neither guy is far better than the other. But Pacquiao beat the shit out of Barrera, and had trouble with Marquez 3 times.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #17
Shogun Assassin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Styles make fights, it's irrefutable .
Shogun Assassin is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #18
mrtony80
Likes thick chicks
ESB Addict

vCash: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post
Styles make fights is a true adage. The phrase might get overused though, especially when people bring it up when fighters are simply of a different class/caliber.

There's also little things that make a fighter more of a problematic style matchup than others. It's a fairly broad generalization to say "Pacquiao has trouble with counter-punchers". Cotto was a very good counter-puncher. Barrera was an excellent counter-puncher. I don't think too many people would argue against the statement that Barrera and Marquez are of a similar caliber. Neither guy is far better than the other. But Pacquiao beat the shit out of Barrera, and had trouble with Marquez 3 times.
^ that.
mrtony80 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #19
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post
Look at the Kirkland Angulo fight, I think that’s where the adage comes into play...You have two brawlers who give you an action packed fight...But to your point I agree there are other factors to consider outside of a boxers' style ,be it strategic etc ..In the JMM fight Marquez not only imposed his will against Manny but did it with a great game plan, using counter punching, combination punching, along with good lateral movement...You defiently have some valid points ..
If anything, Kirkland-Angulo was trumpeted as an awful style match-up for Kirkland before the fight though. "Apparently weak-chinned guy with porous defense against iron-chinned aggressor." This kind of gets to the threadstarter's point though: "styles make fights" can become so overused that it turns into an empty truism. Any result can subsequently be justified in this logic, and merely repeating it again and again does often seem to take credit away from the actual skills of the victor.
purephase is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #20
slugger3000
You Mad Bro?
East Side VIP

vCash: 9653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppin501 View Post
You're posts would suggest they know nothing. Luckily David you aren't the only white poster here.

I kid Osama, the mix of body odor, two day old hot dogs, and slurpy's gave you away.
Are you White or Black Jonathon? I smell BS.. is the pic on your profile really you?
slugger3000 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #21
Leon
The Artful Dodger
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

slugger is that white boy in your avatar the taker of your AZZhole's virginity?
Leon is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #22
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase View Post
If anything, Kirkland-Angulo was trumpeted as an awful style match-up for Kirkland before the fight though. "Apparently weak-chinned guy with porous defense against iron-chinned aggressor." This kind of gets to the threadstarter's point though: "styles make fights" can become so overused that it turns into an empty truism. Any result can subsequently be justified in this logic, and merely repeating it again and again does often seem to take credit away from the actual skills of the victor.

From a matchmaking stand point that fight made sense ..Two guys who march forward and fight ..Did it disapoint ? Not at all ! If your a promoter looking for a particular style to match up with another this is where the adage made sense ..

You have to look at the bigger picture ..Think about Hopkins Dawson another example of styles make fights ..Two bad styles would have made for a bad fight .. Its just really a boxing recipe if anything but should not take away from a fighters skill or lack there of ..
Imperial1 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #23
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post
From a matchmaking stand point that fight made sense ..Two guys who march forward and fight ..Did it disapoint ? Not at all ! If your a promoter looking for a particular style to match up with another this is where the adage made sense ..

You have to look at the bigger picture ..Think about Hopkins Dawson another example of styles make fights ..Two bad styles would have made for a bad fight .. Its just really a boxing recipe if anything but should not take away from a fighters skill or lack there of ..
Okay I think we're kind of talking at cross-purposes here. I interpreted Reppin's point to be about styles determining who wins and loses fights, suggesting that it was overused in those cases. As you note though, the phrase "styles make fights" can also obviously be applied to matchmaking/evaluating how exciting fights are likely to be. I completely agree that styles should be evaluated from a matchmaking perspective, but I also agree with Reppin that invoking that phrase to explain a particular outcome after a fight can be somewhat overdone.
purephase is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #24
slugger3000
You Mad Bro?
East Side VIP

vCash: 9653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
slugger is that white boy in your avatar the taker of your AZZhole's virginity?
I have put my pic up before bro!
slugger3000 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #25
kopejh
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post

Barrera was intimidated by Pacquiao's speed, size and power. neglecting to use his excellent counter-punching skills, and simply just covering up when Pacquiao would throw his basic ass combinations.

had they been the same size, it would have been a much closer fight. not about styles that fight
kopejh is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #26
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopejh View Post
Barrera was intimidated by Pacquiao's speed, size and power. neglecting to use his excellent counter-punching skills, and simply just covering up when Pacquiao would throw his basic ass combinations.

had they been the same size, it would have been a much closer fight. not about styles that fight
There wasn't much of a size difference. Pacquiao was mostly competing at 122 when he moved up to fight Barrera, who had been competing at 126 for the last couple of years. Pacquiao was more of a weight cutter, but outweighed Barrera by just 3 pounds unofficially, which is rather miniscule in this day and age of day-before weigh-ins and massive weight cutting.

In the rematch, Barrera was more looking to survive, plus he had declined a lot. He was outweighed by 6 lbs. unofficially that night, which is a decent amount, but again, not a whole lot in this era. He was outweighed by almost a dozen pounds when he beat Morales in the rubber match.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #27
J.R.
No Mames Guey
East Side Guru

vCash: 107

It's not jut a cliche. It's certified fact. If you knew anything about the sport you'd know that, ****ing no-nothing ****stick casual fan.
J.R. is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2011, 01:02 AM   #28
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 8472

Styles make fights. As you gain more knowledge, you will realize this ultimate fact.
klion22 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum