Old 11-20-2011, 01:14 AM   #46
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665
Default Re: Fernando Montiel vs. Victor Terrazas

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Whoa, that's a bit of an ignorant statement.

Says what all?

You're not just looking at Hasegawa's KO ratio on paper and determining via his Boxrec page that a stoppage loss to him is something to be ashamed of, are you?

He developed some serious KO power in the later stage of his bantamweight title run. At that point in time he was a huge hitter and excellent finisher at 118.

All being stopped by Hasegawa at that point in time & at that weight "says" is that you're human.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting Alvaro Perez is anything special. Saying that being stopped by Hasegawa is proof of someone not being special, though - that's just pure ignorance. I don't care if he does have only 12 stoppages in 29 career wins. Two years ago at BW that was a bad man.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2011, 01:16 AM   #47
sadlittleboy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Whoa, that's a bit of an ignorant statement.

Says what all?

You're not just looking at Hasegawa's KO ratio on paper and determining via his Boxrec page that a stoppage loss to him is something to be ashamed of, are you?

He developed some serious KO power in the later stage of his bantamweight title run. At that point in time he was a huge hitter and excellent finisher at 118.

All being stopped by Hasegawa at that point in time & at that weight "says" is that you're human.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting Alvaro Perez is anything special. Saying that being stopped by Hasegawa is proof of someone not being special, though - that's just pure ignorance. I don't care if he does have only 12 stoppages in 29 career wins. Two years ago at BW that was a bad man.
Personally I'd think anyone Hasegaqa can stop Montiel should be able to stop. It was the last KO of Hasegawa's career (at least upto now) and whilst he had stopped his previous 4 I wouldn't call any of them hugely durable.

I.e. Nestor Rocha-Stopped 3 fights later
Alejandro Valdez- 4 stoppages in 6 career defeats
Cristian Faccio-5 stoppages in 7 career defeats

You'd sort of EXPECT Montiel to stop anyone that Hasegawa can stop. Add in the fact Alvaro Perez had never fought outside of his homeland prior to the Hasegawa loss (and has never managed a win outside of Nicaragua)

OK I should have explained it deeper but, a stoppage loss to Hasegawa SHOULD (generally) mean that Montiel is going to stop you too.

Edit
Admittedly the shot that took Perez out was a sweet hook. It didn't seem to have massive power more placement.
sadlittleboy is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2011, 01:25 AM   #48
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Damn helluva fight with cochulo. Brave lil fighter. Always had problems with taller fighters.
elchivito is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2011, 01:31 AM   #49
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadlittleboy View Post
Personally I'd think anyone Hasegaqa can stop Montiel should be able to stop. It was the last KO of Hasegawa's career (at least upto now) and whilst he had stopped his previous 4 I wouldn't call any of them hugely durable.

I.e. Nestor Rocha-Stopped 3 fights later
Alejandro Valdez- 4 stoppages in 6 career defeats
Cristian Faccio-5 stoppages in 7 career defeats
You mention that he'd stopped four in a row but then go on to mention everyone BUT Vusi Malinga, who is most definitely durable. HH blew him out in a round. Nobody does that to Malinga. Hell, nobody else has stopped him or even dropped him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadlittleboy View Post
Personally I'd think anyone Hasegaqa can stop Montiel should be able to stop.

You'd sort of EXPECT Montiel to stop anyone that Hasegawa can stop.

a stoppage loss to Hasegawa SHOULD (generally) mean that Montiel is going to stop you too.
Uh, no. That's extremely silly logic.

Montiel is a bigger puncher than Hasegawa (but honestly at bantamweight it wasn't by all that much, at least not in the latter half of Hozumi's reign when he really developed some pop that hadn't been present earlier in his career) - but Hasegawa is the better technician and places his shots better. It's not inconceivable that there are guys HH could stop that Cochulito couldn't on a given night, any more than it is that there are guys Montiel could stop that HH couldn't on a given night.

Very, very silly logic there.

Hey, Lopez blew out Ponce De Leon in a single round. So you'd EXPECT that Gamboa should stop him too, right? Not beat him by technical decision? On the flip side, Gamboa destroyed Rogers Mtagwa. So, you'd EXPECT that Lopez would stop him too...right? Not win a belabored life and death decision over him?

Extremely silly, dude.

Hasegawa & Montiel = BOTH dangerous men.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2011, 01:37 AM   #50
VX.Nefarious
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Missed the fight, Completely forgot that Montiel was going to scrap today.
VX.Nefarious is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2011, 01:37 AM   #51
sadlittleboy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I mentioned 3 or the 4 that Hasegawa stopped, not the 4th (Malinga as you pointed out) as he hadn't been stopped (again as you pointed out), still 3 of 4 stoppages over guys with records where when they lose they get stopped...

Montiel for me personally was a much bigger puncher at the weight, and would eventually wear anyone down that Hasegawa would stop with better placement. It's not incocievable but it's highly likely and personally I would expect it.

On the Gamboa/Lopez point personally I feel Lopez blew out a cruder Ponce and Gamboa beat an empty shell of Mtagwa. Whilst circumstances do chance Perez was never an elite fighter and has been stopped in 2 of his 3 fights outside of his homeland (the 3rd was a TD so technically he's never survived a fight outside of Nicaragua)
sadlittleboy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum