boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: How do you rate Jones' performance vs Shogun Rua?
Extraordinary 17 41.46%
Great 17 41.46%
Solid, but somewhat expected (given his natural talent and huge physical advantages) 4 9.76%
Other (specify) 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #31
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Jones vs Rua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
You don't think Cain vs Brock was a savage beating on this level?
It was an embarrassing stomp-out but not this bad, no.
MetalMandible is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #32
slugger3000
You Mad Bro?
East Side VIP

vCash: 9653

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri-pod View Post
Extraordinary might be over exaggerating a wee little bit, but Jones tapped dat ass.

He sure did, Im looking forward to jones-jackson! Bones Jones is a Beast!
slugger3000 is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #33
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMandible View Post
It was an embarrassing stomp-out but not this bad, no.
Breakdancing across the canvas and then rolling around on the ground while someone stands over you lashing your face in, until you're a bloody mask? I think that was more traumatizing and savage than Jones-Rua, but I don't suppose it's worth arguing over. They were both brutal!!
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #34
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

Quote:
Breakdancing across the canvas and then rolling around on the ground while someone stands over you lashing your face in, until you're a bloody mask? I think that was more traumatizing and savage than Jones-Rua, but I don't suppose it's worth arguing over. They were both brutal!!
Yeah, they were both incredibly vicious but Brock at least landed an ineffectual takedown which was more than Shogun managed. I'd say that Shogun maintained his dignity more, however, because the breakdancing bit was humiliating.
MetalMandible is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #35
CarlesX7
Shit got real!
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
I voted Other.

Jones's Performance: Superb, much like Mir's win over Nogueira was superb. You can only beat what's in front of you, and Jones did that in dominant and impressive fashion with brilliant striking and brutal takedowns, top control and GnP.

Jones's win: This I can't rate so highly, so I'd say merely good, because any win over a fighter of Rua's calibre has some value. However, I've seen how ****ty Shogun has looked before when he's coming off lay-offs or not fully fit (see Griffin 1, Coleman, etc), and even before that fight I was concerned about the long lay-off due to surgery, as well as his poorer than normal physical cut at the weigh-in and in the Octagon. I think the version of Shogun that night was rusty, sluggish, and out of shape. Would Jones have crushed a peak fitness and sharpness Rua? Maybe. I hope Shogun earns another title shot soon so we can find out for sure, because he was NOT the best he could be that night, not at all.
Velsaquez vs Lesnar was similarly stunning, btw. Absolute destruction.

But for some reason, the beating Jones gave Rua seemed worse to me. I remember myself thinking 'wtf Jones is playing with this guy, it's like he's deliberately not finishing him so he can punish him some more', while in the Cain vs Brock fight Cain was like a programmed machine, taking 100% advantage of every mistake Lesnar did.

I agreed that Rua was definitely not 100%, but the way you present it takes away much credit from Jones' win and I feel this is wrong. Noone came even close to doing THAT to Shogun ever before, even after lay-offs and/or injuries. That fight proved to me that Jones simply has Rua's number. And we all know how good Rua is, hence why imo Jones' win was huge, especially in the utterly dominant fashion it came.
CarlesX7 is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #36
evalistinho
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5461

The performance Jones did against Rua showed me that he is a monster and possibly gonna be unbeatable at 205 for a while.
evalistinho is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2011, 06:07 AM   #37
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlesX7 View Post
Velsaquez vs Lesnar was similarly stunning, btw. Absolute destruction.

But for some reason, the beating Jones gave Rua seemed worse to me. I remember myself thinking 'wtf Jones is playing with this guy, it's like he's deliberately not finishing him so he can punish him some more', while in the Cain vs Brock fight Cain was like a programmed machine, taking 100% advantage of every mistake Lesnar did.

I agreed that Rua was definitely not 100%, but the way you present it takes away much credit from Jones' win and I feel this is wrong. Noone came even close to doing THAT to Shogun ever before, even after lay-offs and/or injuries. That fight proved to me that Jones simply has Rua's number. And we all know how good Rua is, hence why imo Jones' win was huge, especially in the utterly dominant fashion it came.
All this proves to me is that Jones is a much better fighter than either Forrest Griffin or Mark Coleman, which I already knew anyway.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #38
The Spider

vCash:

Great, extraordinary, call it what you like. The knees, the elbows, the liver shot. Jones' performance was ****ing awesome.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #39
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Wow. I was expecting a lot more Shogun nuthuggery when I clicked on this thread. I'm glad to see that there's a growing backlash against more obnoxious, excuse-making fans.
Thom is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #40
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

I was going to say Great cos I think Rua was out of shape but I opted for Extraordinary as Jones had 6 weeks, was facing a legend, could have fought scared etc
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #41
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

That was pretty much expected. I was shocked it lasted longer to be honest but thats a testament to Ruas toughness.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #42
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Bump.

Does yesterday's fight cast any more light on Jones' performance?

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #43
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

Jones is a beast. Let's see how he does against Machida.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2011, 12:21 AM   #44
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarngold View Post
Jones is a beast. Let's see how he does against Machida.
i want my boy to machida to win im supporting all the way.
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2011, 03:00 AM   #45
Flash Jab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 100

You could see it either two ways.

A better win than first thought because he stopped Shogun and Shogun didn't exactly look amazing in the Hendo fight, I'd say he looked more similar to the Shogun in this fight than the Forrest or Machida fights (I believe this is because of the damage Shogun took rather than his physical state coming into the fight)

Or

A lesser win than originally believed due to Shogun being beatable and Hendo showing that, proving he's not this tour de force everyone thinks he is. Styles make fights, they say.

Myself, I think both have some truth to them so it's still pretty much the same level I thought it was in the first place, a great win. Would it have gone any different had Shogun not came out of surgery? I really don't think so, but maybe more people would be inclined to give him more credit if that'd been the case.
Flash Jab is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum