Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 11-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #46
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Say Hendo Finds a Way to Defeat Bones

No, let Jones prove more to us before a victory over him alone can make anyone the GOAT.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #47
RSBonos
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He is top 5 already.
RSBonos is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #48
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
No, let Jones prove more to us before a victory over him alone can make anyone the GOAT.
Did you even bother to read this thread?

Nobody has said that a victory over Jones in and of itself would make anybody the GOAT. The point that I and several other posters have made is that beating Jones, who's clearly established himself as an elite fighter (to claim otherwise at this point is ****ing ridiculous), and winning a UFC title in the process would top off Henderson's already impressive resume.

Honestly, these discussions about who the GOAT is in MMA are pretty ****ing silly. The sport is less than 20 years old. Now that it's mainstream, we're going to see higher level athletes participating in it. We're also going to see more fighters like Jordan Mein, Rory MacDonald and Michael McDonald who are well-rounded killers at a very young age. You guys really think that you are going to be able to call Shogun the LHW GOAT based on a two year run in PRIDE ten or even five years from now?

Last edited by Thom; 11-23-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Thom is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #49
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post

Nobody has said that a victory over Jones in and of itself would make anybody the GOAT. The point that I and several other posters have made is that beating Jones, who's clearly established himself as an elite fighter (to claim otherwise at this is ****ing silly), and winning a UFC title in the process would top off Henderson's already impressive resume.

Honestly, these discussions about who the GOAT is in MMA are pretty ****ing silly. The sport is less than 20 years old. Now that it's mainstream, we're going to see higher level athletes participating in it. We'll also going to see more fighters like Jordan Mein, Rory MacDonald and Michael McDonald who are well-rounded killers at a very young age. You guys really think that you are going to be able to call Shogun the LHW GOAT based on a two year run in PRIDE ten or even five years from now?
I agree with all of this except the part about higher-level athletes entering. Extremely high-level athletes have been operating in MMA since the '90s as evidenced by the significant number of guys who claim Olympian status and big-time NCAA accomplishments.
MetalMandible is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #50
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMandible View Post
I agree with all of this except the part about higher-level athletes entering. Extremely high-level athletes have been operating in MMA since the '90s as evidenced by the significant number of guys who claim Olympian status and big-time NCAA accomplishments.

This is true. I didn't mean to insinuate that there haven't been a lot of legit athletes in the sport since its inception, but I do feel like the quality of fighters has been steadily increasing.
Thom is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #51
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

Quote:
This is true. I didn't mean to insinuate that there haven't been a lot of legit athletes in the sport since its inception, but I do feel like the quality of fighters has been steadily increasing.
And I think that's due to the sport existing long enough to figure out what does and doesn't work in a real fight. Mark Coleman was a serious, serious athlete, roiding or not, but prime Coleman would be murdered today because he couldn't do anything except wrestle and headbutt. Now those same type of athletes are training the proper disciplines and apply proper conditioning methods to what is one of the most grueling and cardio-intensive sports around which is why we are seeing some straight beasts.
MetalMandible is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #52
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
NO...

... I read the thread title then posted my response, I`m just getting around to the rest of the posts now.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #53
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

If there was no Bones Jones, then Shogun-Henderson might very well have been for the light-heavyweight title. And winning that belt to become the alpha of the UFC's light-heavyweight division might just have pushed Hendo into the #1 ATG spot, because really what more could he be asked to do?

Unfortunately for Henderson, Jon Jones does exist, and instead of Shogun-Henderson being an epic war for the title belt, it was an epic war to win a close decision over one of Bones' children.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #54
birdhead
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

[Nah, hendo still has too many losses to be considered the greatest of all time. now, if he defeated jones and silva afterwards, he's walking on hallowed ground, that's for sure!
birdhead is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #55
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhead View Post
[Nah, hendo still has too many losses to be considered the greatest of all time. now, if he defeated jones and silva afterwards, he's walking on hallowed ground, that's for sure!
This aint boxing son. Hendo's opposition has been consistently stella, and the fact that he has 8 losses isnt a bad thing

If he'd defeated either Anderson or Page, and maybe even Jake, his case would be stronger though. Otherwise he's lost to ATG's, only Misaki is a ''bad loss'' imo
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #56
Shogun Assassin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

I don't know I felt Hendo was damn lucky not to pick up some more losses, Ninja, Kondo, Bustamante 2, Franklin were all close fights that could've gone either way imo. 6 Split decisions is nothing to sneeze at.

That being said, he's without a doubt a top 5 ATG and has nowhere but to go up from here.
Shogun Assassin is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #57
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun Assassin View Post
I don't know I felt Hendo was damn lucky not to pick up some more losses, Ninja, Kondo, Bustamante 2, Franklin were all close fights that could've gone either way imo. 6 Split decisions is nothing to sneeze at.

That being said, he's without a doubt a top 5 ATG and has nowhere but to go up from here.
Good point, I havent watched the Ninja fight in god knows how long, but seem to remember thinking Ninja won
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #58
Black2023
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Id say no. That said Dan's greatest asset has been his consistency. When all is said and done he still has losses to Rampage, Silva, a prime Wand, Lil Nog Arona etc. Whilst some of those are excellent company i don't believe his resume has enough to surpass Anderson or Fedor's streak. But his got a dam good shout.
Personally i hope he tools Jones. But im not so sure. Hendo's Kryptonite has always been quality strikers. Im not sure Jones fits into that bracket but his length size and unorthodox style will cause Hendo many problems. To Hendo's credit though all it takes is one punch. That low kick over hand right combo has worked him his ENTIRE career. Iv only seen he and Couture employ that tactic successfully. Providing Hendo can close the distance im hoping he takes Jones into the trenches and TKO's him.
Hendo though is easily top 5 ATG material. Dudes a stud.

Jon Jones is likely to remain unbeaten over the next 12 months too good at the moment-

So far

Feb WSub2 (Guillotine Choke) R. Bader 12-0

Mar Wkor3 (Punches and Knees) S. Rua 19-4 UFC Light-Heavyweight

Sep WSub4 (RNC) Q.R.Jackson 32-8 UFC Light-Heavyweight

My predication

Dec WUD5 L. Machida 17-2 UFC Light-Heavyweight

Feb WSub3 (RNC) D. Henderson 29-8 UFC Light-Heavyweight

Jul Wkor1 (Knees) R. Evans 16-1-1 UFC Light-Heavyweight

Sept Wsub5 (armlock) S. Rua II 22-6 UFC Light-Heavyweight

Nov Wkor3 (punches) M. Lawal 10-1 UFC Light-Heavyweight
Black2023 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum