Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 11-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
SomeGuy101
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1383
Default Looking at Lesnar

I've been watching alot of Lesnar and Overeems fights these past few days in order to decide who's going to win. Though he's looked great recently Reem's last fight vs Werdum was a stinker and to be honest his standup looked atrocious but I think that his not wanting to overcommit against Werdum and get subbed.

That said he did avoid Werdums take down attempts very well in round 1 and held distance brilliantly (which will be a great asset vs Brock) but then began to tire.... which brings me to Lesnar.

Lesnar cannot trade with this guy it would be suicide but having said that Lesnar's stance is one that Reem would have to overcommit to land on and that would set Lesnar up for a takedown which no question is Brocks main game.

Finally looking at the Velazquez fight Brock had the right idea at the start but just couldn't get it off. Take a look again guys, the moment the bell rings he circles Cain and comes in at an angle - brilliant! Cain is at an angle, can't counter punch and Brock gets inside him. The problem was Cain is small and fast so escaped quickly - Reem won't be able to do that.

My two gripes with Lesnar are a) he wilts when his plan fails and 2) he tires...big time. We're constantly told Lesnar is this perfect specimen 'athelete' but after 2 minutes and a single TD vs Cain he was so tired you could see his punches a mile away! I am not so sure Lesnar is as athletically gifted as people say you know....Heck I'd even say Overeem has better cardio!!!!! But then again it could have been his diverticulitis.

I still can't pick a winner
SomeGuy101 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
James23
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1218
Default Re: Looking at Lesnar

Lesnar wasn't tired. That's just silly. That would be panic and indecisiveness you saw against Cain and not fatigue. Other than that though your analysis is pretty much spot on par for a few things that are the equivalent of nit-picking.

And a lot of people seem to draw a false equivalence to a Werdum takedown attempt to a Lesnar takedown attempt. There is a huge, HUGE difference.
James23 is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I didn't see him tiring, I saw a Glass Jawed Joke get tagged which led to him breakdancing across the ring. It comes down to whether Overeem can sprawl against a legitimate wrestler, something that we don't have a clue about since he hasn't ever faced one in his entire career. I think he probably destroys Lesnar's Fragile Glass Mandible since the fight starts standing and he'll probably land one before any hypothetical takedown occurs, BUT, if Lesnar does power it to the mat he won't have to hit Overroid too many times either as he too has a disgraceful Chin.
MetalMandible is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
elixirvtec
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMandible View Post
I didn't see him tiring, I saw a Glass Jawed Joke get tagged which led to him breakdancing across the ring. It comes down to whether Overeem can sprawl against a legitimate wrestler, something that we don't have a clue about since he hasn't ever faced one in his entire career. I think he probably destroys Lesnar's Fragile Glass Mandible since the fight starts standing and he'll probably land one before any hypothetical takedown occurs, BUT, if Lesnar does power it to the mat he won't have to hit Overroid too many times either as he too has a disgraceful Chin.

I LOL'ed at breakdancing across the ring. But the op does have a good analysis on both fighters. I think reem will be able to avoid brocks take down just because he is just as big. Plus he has good takedown Defense. I see reem controlling the fight and making brock play his game. Like what he did with werdum . But after reading the interview that bas did on him I hope brock smashes his face.
elixirvtec is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict

i see brock taking reem down, but reem subbing him via guillotine.
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
MetalMandible
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elixirvtec View Post
I LOL'ed at breakdancing across the ring. But the op does have a good analysis on both fighters. I think reem will be able to avoid brocks take down just because he is just as big. Plus he has good takedown Defense. I see reem controlling the fight and making brock play his game. Like what he did with werdum . But after reading the interview that bas did on him I hope brock smashes his face.
Being big doesn't make a guy with no amateur wrestling background able to defend against a guy with a stellar one. Now, for all we know Overeem has been tightening up that defense a lot by training with the wrestlers at Xtreme Couture but never, ever has he shown stellar takedown defense in the past. He was taken down by plenty of guys at 205, none of them elite wrestlers mind you, and he's been successful at HW thus far because he's been fighting a who's who list of the biggest bums in professional fighting, with the exception of Werdum.

I'm picking Overeem because, as I said earlier, the fight starts standing and Lesnar has no Chin. None. BUT, if Lesnar does manage to evade the opening barrage and plant him I could see Overroid folding like a lawn chair as he has in the past when he's been GnPed.
MetalMandible is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
hahaha lolz
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
Heavy Handed
I keep planets in orbit
ESB Senior Member

There is a better gif of Brock out there where it loops the spin move and has a disco ball up top spinning, lights and all.
Heavy Handed is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Handed View Post
There is a better gif of Brock out there where it loops the spin move and has a disco ball up top spinning, lights and all.
You mean this one?

Its kinda old
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
Black2023
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy101 View Post
I've been watching alot of Lesnar and Overeems fights these past few days in order to decide who's going to win. Though he's looked great recently Reem's last fight vs Werdum was a stinker and to be honest his standup looked atrocious but I think that his not wanting to overcommit against Werdum and get subbed.

That said he did avoid Werdums take down attempts very well in round 1 and held distance brilliantly (which will be a great asset vs Brock) but then began to tire.... which brings me to Lesnar.

Lesnar cannot trade with this guy it would be suicide but having said that Lesnar's stance is one that Reem would have to overcommit to land on and that would set Lesnar up for a takedown which no question is Brocks main game.

Finally looking at the Velazquez fight Brock had the right idea at the start but just couldn't get it off. Take a look again guys, the moment the bell rings he circles Cain and comes in at an angle - brilliant! Cain is at an angle, can't counter punch and Brock gets inside him. The problem was Cain is small and fast so escaped quickly - Reem won't be able to do that.

My two gripes with Lesnar are a) he wilts when his plan fails and 2) he tires...big time. We're constantly told Lesnar is this perfect specimen 'athelete' but after 2 minutes and a single TD vs Cain he was so tired you could see his punches a mile away! I am not so sure Lesnar is as athletically gifted as people say you know....Heck I'd even say Overeem has better cardio!!!!! But then again it could have been his diverticulitis.

I still can't pick a winner

Looking at Lesnar - Quite big aint he?
Black2023 is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #12
blacktopbully
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

What do you mean "a lot of lesner fights" he's had like 5!
blacktopbully is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
Black2023
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktopbully View Post
What do you mean "a lot of lesner fights" he's had like 5!
Black2023 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum