boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Twitter MMA Facebook Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #1291
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

I'm guessing Seales is the one chance we have to see Kalule in his prime as a middleweight?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #1292
lora
Fighting Zapata
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

It wasn't entirely clear because of the quality, but it looked like a facial damage\possible cuts stoppage to me.He was pretty marked around the eyes.

Just had a quick look and there might have been a cut just above the left-eyelid as well.Might just be scar-tissue though.

Get his fights with Duran and Benitez.He gives a solid account of himself against Duran, well about as good as it was possible for a non-all-timer against Duran of that period.The Benitez fight is a close chessmatch.

he was very good fighter that slipped completely under the radar outside of his home country.Flat footed, but with an excellent jab and could rip combos off as well as most boxer-punchers.Quite MArquez like with his punches at times, yet with solid defensive skills.
lora is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #1293
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Yeah I liked the way he fired uppercuts.

As for those fights, I'll have seem them already but not paid much note, seen pretty much everything there is to see of Duran and Benitez. Too much I'll take another look at them.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #1294
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Speaking of the Duran around that time period, how did you guys see the Thompson fight? I think Thompson's performance gets completely overblown. So Duran got a rib blown, he still dominated the fight in super-impressive fashion, the way I saw it. Some truly amazing offensive sequences for Duran in that one.

Cervantes did a job on Thompson as well, even though I'd heard differently prior to actually viewing it. Seems he gets the benefit of the doubt a lot.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #1295
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Asterisks in my post weren't going anywhere, typos.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #1296
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
Speaking of the Duran around that time period, how did you guys see the Thompson fight? I think Thompson's performance gets completely overblown. So Duran got a rib blown, he still dominated the fight in super-impressive fashion, the way I saw it. Some truly amazing offensive sequences for Duran in that one.

Cervantes did a job on Thompson as well, even though I'd heard differently prior to actually viewing it. Seems he gets the benefit of the doubt a lot.
I ain't seen the Cervantes fight. Thompson did alright against Duran I thought, but seeing as he was a high-ranked contender at Lightweight and Light Welter I'm guessing there was more to him than those fights anyway?

Viruet, De Jesus and Marcel are the only guys I really recall giving Duran much hassle until he entered the 'Fabulous Four' era.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #1297
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Of Kid Pambele I've seen: Locche (highlights); Furuyama; Frazer; DeJesus; Ortiz; Benitez; Pryor; and some Japanese guy (I think) whose name I'm shamefully forgetting.

What am I missing?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #1298
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Check out the Thompson fight at sosoboxing.com

Pretty good video site, even though the quality is never the best and there's something up with the list of fights. A lot of them have no links, so why the hell are they even up?!

It's a pretty **** site, come to think of it. Still, you can check out a good few fights that aren't up on the Tube there. The ****in' quality, though. I was trying to re-watch Gomez/Lopez I the other day (one of my favourite Gomez performances from his peak) and I just couldn't do it because the quality looked as though they'd taped it off a TV screen covered in dirt.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #1299
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

They're just ripping off a sweet format Soso winds me up for that reason, that and the fact all the videos start playing on the page when you open up one fighters videos

I'll have a look at sweet instead
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #1300
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

That site is always freezing up or going through maintenance. Plus, the main mod is kind of a tool.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #1301
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Only recently, I've never had any problems with them or megaupload before.

And yes, it is hard to reason with some of their mods on historical matters. That Violent Demise said something along the lines of 'if Chiquita can beat Chang easily then Lopez will stop him' which indicates he's neither seen that fight, or cannot ****yse style differentials and fights, or is just incredibly biased.

I don't do too much posting there. The Toney-Charles thread was a farce.

Despite that, very helpful Boxing loving guys over there. I respect them, even if we don't see eye-to-eye in debates.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #1302
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
Check out the Thompson fight at sosoboxing.com
All they do over there is steal from SB
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #1303
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun711 View Post
All they do over there is steal from SB
Exactly my thoughts

Oh, and I'll be able to upload that fight for you, dunno how to use megaupload yet so hopefully YouTube will suffice. Will PM you when I get it done
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #1304
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Oh, and I'll be able to upload that fight for you, dunno how to use megaupload yet so hopefully YouTube will suffice. Will PM you when I get it done
Thank you, i appreciate it. youtube is fine.
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 04:44 AM   #1305
lora
Fighting Zapata
East Side Guru

Regarding Thompson's fight with Duran, i dig his performance, but in the sense of how he stood in there physically far more than others and had Duran backing up for periods of the bout.No bull**** and ripped in some really viscious hooks to the body.

That said Duran showed more early hints of being an all-timer in it in the way he effectively adapted(his movement and sudden rushes were an early hint at the kind of stuff Chang would consistently use a decade later here)and no doubt soundly outworked and in the end outpunched Thompson.

If you were sort of expecting a relatively even, give and take kind of bout i can see where someone would be a bit let down.

It's been a long time since i watched the Cervantes fight.I remember it being a good competitive fight with Antonio up on points at the time it got stopped.

I like Thompson, though there's no doubt he was a very methodical, somewhat lethargic fighter.reminds me of Laporte a bit, i think he would need someone coming straight at him to excel.Someone who would throw enough to wake him up and be one-dimensional enough not to be out of reach when he fires back.
lora is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum