Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-29-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
mrjotatp4p
THE ONE
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Mayweather Video: I gave boxing my whole life.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
mrjotatp4p is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
Go Getta
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 240
Default Re: Mayweather Video: I gave boxing my whole life.

Old news I saw this vid like 30mins ago from his twitter ..
Go Getta is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
EnterTheDragon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It's no coincidence that Floyd didn't participate when the welterweight division was stacked, deep with talent, and the best in boxing.

Reporter: Why now? Why come back? Why did you leave anyway?

Mayweather: I stayed out of the sport for my HEALTH, both mentally and physically. I stay fresh this way.

EnterTheDragon is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Mayweather Video: I gave boxing my whole life.
Yeah, no shit, Floyd. You're not the only fighter to do that.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
Phat_Ass_Dude
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterTheDragon View Post
It's no coincidence that Floyd didn't participate when the welterweight division was stacked, deep with talent, and the best in boxing.

Reporter: Why now? Why come back? Why did you leave anyway?

Mayweather: I stayed out of the sport for my HEALTH, both mentally and physically. I stay fresh this way.

That's really a shitty argument. I don't understand how people think the WW Fighters like Cotto and Margarito, hell even Paul Williams were the fighters at WW at the time were that BADDASS enough to beat Floyd.

I just don't get that argument.
Phat_Ass_Dude is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
CoDer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The legends gave their life to boxing Floyd, all of it.

You on the hand get life from boxing.
CoDer is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
JunitoJab
Antagonist
ESB Addict

vCash: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat_Ass_Dude View Post
That's really a shitty argument. I don't understand how people think the WW Fighters like Cotto and Margarito, hell even Paul Williams were the fighters at WW at the time were that BADDASS enough to beat Floyd.

Whether they were badass to beat him or not isn't the point, the point is that he didn't fight them at the time.
JunitoJab is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #8
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:

Itís not that those guys were definite badasses to beat Floyd. Itís just that the welterweight division, at the time, was stacked with really good fighters fighting each other. The least youíd expect, is for the most talented and skilled one out of all of them, to be part of it. When history looks back at that 2007-2009 period, itíll see the following memorable welterweight fights involving the top welterweight fighters....

- Williams vs Marg
- Mosley vs Cotto
- Cotto vs Marg
- Mosley vs Marg

....and itíll notice that Floyd wasnít involved in any of them. It wonít care why he wasnít involved. It wonít take into account his issues with Arum. Itíll just see a blank slate on Mayweatherís resume during his decision to go into retirement and let the above guys beat each other down, remain inactive, or move up weight classes. That, ultimately, will mean his legacy will not be as great as it should have been. It would have been awesome if heíd beaten Margarito instead of Baldomir, stuck around for Cotto (before or after his fight Margarito), and beaten Mosley right after heíd demolished Margarito. But sadly, he didnít. And that'll be the biggest criticism of his career.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #9
punchingdove
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

[IMG]http://i1.ryjbuk.pl/fd82a60488fa3a09813fc14c3e9a896e0ee97af8/****-gif-gif[/IMG]
punchingdove is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 07:21 AM   #10
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

I think he is starting to sound a bit more sincere.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #11
whoupicking?
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
It’s not that those guys were definite badasses to beat Floyd. It’s just that the welterweight division, at the time, was stacked with really good fighters fighting each other. The least you’d expect, is for the most talented and skilled one out of all of them, to be part of it. When history looks back at that 2007-2009 period, it’ll see the following memorable welterweight fights involving the top welterweight fighters....

- Williams vs Marg
- Mosley vs Cotto
- Cotto vs Marg
- Mosley vs Marg

....and it’ll notice that Floyd wasn’t involved in any of them. It won’t care why he wasn’t involved. It won’t take into account his issues with Arum. It’ll just see a blank slate on Mayweather’s resume during his decision to go into retirement and let the above guys beat each other down, remain inactive, or move up weight classes. That, ultimately, will mean his legacy will not be as great as it should have been. It would have been awesome if he’d beaten Margarito instead of Baldomir, stuck around for Cotto (before or after his fight Margarito), and beaten Mosley right after he’d demolished Margarito. But sadly, he didn’t. And that'll be the biggest criticism of his career.
Yet floyd was involved in the biggest fight in boxing history moving up to jmw to fight the champion and ppv star del la hoya. That shits on any of those match up listed.

Floyd also went on the beat the shit out of marquez and mosley, marquez who the world just saw beat pac and mosley who the world saw knock the **** out of margarito.
whoupicking? is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #12
FlatNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:

They were certainly BADASS enough to get a shot at him...but Floyd fought easier fights instead.
Thats the argument.
FlatNose is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
whoupicking?
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatNose View Post
They were certainly BADASS enough to get a shot at him...but Floyd fought easier fights instead.
Thats the argument.
You mean like oscar del la hoya at jmw
whoupicking? is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #14
Don't Sleep
Personal Trainer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatNose View Post
Thats the argument.
Margarito was a nobody as far as a big name in 2007 when Floyd's 1st retirement. He was a tough fighter but beating him would have proved nor did nothing for his career. Rememebr at the time of his retirement, Floyd had just participated in 2 of the biggest non heavyweight PPV fights ever (ODLH & Hatton). Paul Williams, again was a nobody as far as a big name as well. He lost to Quitana (though he did avenge the lost)

I do agree with Cotto though, that would have been a big win for resume and PPV numbers.

Realize that we are fans. Though I teach boxing, I am not a professional and at this point have not worked with a professional. When you get to the level of Floyd (even when he retired) it becomes more of a focus on the business than just fighting who the general public think you should fight. It's ironic but with the exception of the Judah fight, all of his fights as a welter, have been against champions and/or P4P fighters coming off victories.

All in all though, it seems as if people bring up these names b/c it makes them feel better about hating on Floyd, b/c their imiganiation of him having problems with these fighters, makes them feel better about not liking him. Real Talk.
Don't Sleep is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #15
dirty boy
Journeyman

When history looks back, they'll simply look at his resume.

Much like in 20 years time, the new generation of fans will see the names of Hopkins and RJJ on Calzaghe's. Doesn't tell the whole story, but that's what people will look at. Much like people tend to forget Ali didn't fight in what may be regarded as his prime.
dirty boy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum