Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #16
Vidic
Rest in Peace Manny
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Mayweather Video: I gave boxing my whole life.

He is right. To be an elite boxer especially to the level Floyd is you HAVE to give boxing your life, whether you like him or not it's the absolute truth.
Vidic is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2011, 07:46 AM   #17
Dirty Bastard
Dirty As Hell
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 618

I think its a good interview....Props to FightHype
Dirty Bastard is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #18
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

so did, de la hoya, so did pacquiao, so did mosley

every top level boxer has to give their lives to the sport

not just KFC jr
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #19
mrjotatp4p
THE ONE
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Sleep View Post
Margarito was a nobody as far as a big name in 2007 when Floyd's 1st retirement. He was a tough fighter but beating him would have proved nor did nothing for his career. Rememebr at the time of his retirement, Floyd had just participated in 2 of the biggest non heavyweight PPV fights ever (ODLH & Hatton). Paul Williams, again was a nobody as far as a big name as well. He lost to Quitana (though he did avenge the lost)

I do agree with Cotto though, that would have been a big win for resume and PPV numbers.

Realize that we are fans. Though I teach boxing, I am not a professional and at this point have not worked with a professional. When you get to the level of Floyd (even when he retired) it becomes more of a focus on the business than just fighting who the general public think you should fight. It's ironic but with the exception of the Judah fight, all of his fights as a welter, have been against champions and/or P4P fighters coming off victories.

All in all though, it seems as if people bring up these names b/c it makes them feel better about hating on Floyd, b/c their imiganiation of him having problems with these fighters, makes them feel better about not liking him. Real Talk.
mrjotatp4p is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #20
whoupicking?
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
so did, de la hoya, so did pacquiao, so did mosley

every top level boxer has to give their lives to the sport

not just KFC jr
Apu you need to get washed, you ****ing tramp.
whoupicking? is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #21
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoupicking? View Post
Apu you need to get washed, you ****ing tramp.
Says the ghanian
Old 11-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #22
banny
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjotatp4p View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I gave my whole life to my career, whos gives a ****... no one so get ****ed Floyd!
banny is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #23
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoupicking? View Post
Yet floyd was involved in the biggest fight in boxing history moving up to jmw to fight the champion and ppv star del la hoya. That shits on any of those match up listed.

Floyd also went on the beat the shit out of marquez and mosley, marquez who the world just saw beat pac and mosley who the world saw knock the **** out of margarito.
So a 2007 fight with a past-prime Oscar (all be it at a higher weight and a pretty decent win I admit), automatically justifies his decision to not stick around in 2008 and 2009 against those welterweights I’ve mentioned? Welterweights, by the way, that were more dangerous than that Oscar. And likewise, a fight against JMM in late 2009, makes it ok, too?

The point I’m making, is that his decision to go into retirement prevented him from being involved with the best welterweights in those two years. Let’s exclude 2007, because to be fair, he fought Oscar and Hatton – two brilliant wins. Now, what he did before and after that competitive period (2008 and 2009), doesn’t change the fact that he had a slate of nothingness in there. You can’t tell me that, say for example, beating Marg and Cotto in 2008, and then Mosley in 2009 (immediately after he destroyed Marg) would not have done more for his legacy than a win over a JMM. To simply it for you, this is what we’re comparing....

- 2008-2009 – wins over Marg, Cotto and Mosley (and possibly Williams if one of them weren’t available)
- 2008-2009 – a win over JMM.

Tell me, honestly, which path you, as a Floyd fan, would have preferred for him to have taken?
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #24
PBA
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
So a 2007 fight with a past-prime Oscar (all be it at a higher weight and a pretty decent win I admit), automatically justifies his decision to not stick around in 2008 and 2009 against those welterweights I’ve mentioned? Welterweights, by the way, that were more dangerous than that Oscar. And likewise, a fight against JMM in late 2009, makes it ok, too?

The point I’m making, is that his decision to go into retirement prevented him from being involved with the best welterweights in those two years. Let’s exclude 2007, because to be fair, he fought Oscar and Hatton – two brilliant wins. Now, what he did before and after that competitive period (2008 and 2009), doesn’t change the fact that he had a slate of nothingness in there. You can’t tell me that, say for example, beating Marg and Cotto in 2008, and then Mosley in 2009 (immediately after he destroyed Marg) would not have done more for his legacy than a win over a JMM. To simply it for you, this is what we’re comparing....

- 2008-2009 – wins over Marg, Cotto and Mosley (and possibly Williams if one of them weren’t available)
- 2008-2009 – a win over JMM.

Tell me, honestly, which path you, as a Floyd fan, would have preferred for him to have taken?
Come on man... You know the issue with most of those fights/fighters you mentioned.
PBA is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #25
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Floyd fans aren't boxing fans they'd rather have him rest and relax than fight.

A true Floyd fan would want to see him fight the best.

I bet Floyd would spunk all over ghanian boys mothers cooch for being such a suck up and ghanian won't do shit about it.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #26
Samski313
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Its a Damn shame that people will be negative and hate about everything the Man does and or says. He never i said i was the only person who gave his life to boxing so stfu. He is merely talking about his struggle and how he gave up finishing his education to take care of his Family.

You mutha****as on here need to really take a look in the mirror to what it is you are doing with your own life and stop judging another man and what he do with his life. How about you get off your ass and go out and achieve what this man has achieved with his life. He tells the truth but thats not what you guys want to hear. If that was your favorite fighter you would be heaping him with praise.

Im glad and enjoy being a fan of Floyd Mayweather! I appreciate these types of sit down interviews he does for the fans. Not to many other people does these types of sit downs for the fans and people to enjoy and get to know him better.
Samski313 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #27
Samski313
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
Floyd fans aren't boxing fans they'd rather have him rest and relax than fight.

A true Floyd fan would want to see him fight the best.

I bet Floyd would spunk all over ghanian boys mothers cooch for being such a suck up and ghanian won't do shit about it.
One day when you grow up you will look back on this time in your life and just shake your head. Its really sad to a man act the way you do.
Samski313 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 08:21 AM   #28
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBA View Post
Come on man... You know the issue with most of those fights/fighters you mentioned.
Yeah, I appreciate that. But like I said in my other post, history won’t remember it that way. It’s just gonna’ see a blank period. And I understand that, at that point, Floyd was more of a businessman and financial constraints/deals with Arum made things harder. But, we’re fight fans, man. We’re not business students. We expect fighters to put aside whatever issues they have, and fight the best. Floyd, who’s in a more powerful position that most boxers, didn’t do that. It pained him too much to put money in Arum’s pocket, for him to give us the fights we wanted.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #29
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

History is going to remember Mayweather a lot better than his critics want to believe. That's why many of them don't want the Pacquiao fight to happen. It doesn't matter if he didn't fight Margarito. Margarito will go down as a disgraced cheater who got ****ed up by Mosley and Pacquiao anyway. Cotto will go down as a good fighter who wasn't on that top tier level considering his struggles with Mosley and his lopsided loss to Pacquiao. An undefeated, 5 divison champ, with wins over several HOFers and championship calibeer fighters will go down as one of the ATG. A win over Pacquiao cements his status as the best of his era.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #30
PBA
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Yeah, I appreciate that. But like I said in my other post, history won’t remember it that way. It’s just gonna’ see a blank period. And I understand that, at that point, Floyd was more of a businessman and financial constraints/deals with Arum made things harder. But, we’re fight fans, man. We’re not business students. We expect fighters to put aside whatever issues they have, and fight the best. Floyd, who’s in a more powerful position that most boxers, didn’t do that. It pained him too much to put money in Arum’s pocket, for him to give us the fights we wanted.
That's true on some counts. I mean I heard people talking recently about how Lewis "managed" to avoid Tyson until he was past it....history doesn't do any favors.

But I think that stuff Schaefer said he could expose about Arum could have a lot to do with that period and the fact that Floyd's never fought a TR fighter since he left.
PBA is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum