Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #31
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462
Default Re: Mayweather Video: I gave boxing my whole life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Itís not that those guys were definite badasses to beat Floyd. Itís just that the welterweight division, at the time, was stacked with really good fighters fighting each other. The least youíd expect, is for the most talented and skilled one out of all of them, to be part of it. When history looks back at that 2007-2009 period, itíll see the following memorable welterweight fights involving the top welterweight fighters....

- Williams vs Marg
- Mosley vs Cotto
- Cotto vs Marg
- Mosley vs Marg

....and itíll notice that Floyd wasnít involved in any of them. It wonít care why he wasnít involved. It wonít take into account his issues with Arum. Itíll just see a blank slate on Mayweatherís resume during his decision to go into retirement and let the above guys beat each other down, remain inactive, or move up weight classes. That, ultimately, will mean his legacy will not be as great as it should have been. It would have been awesome if heíd beaten Margarito instead of Baldomir, stuck around for Cotto (before or after his fight Margarito), and beaten Mosley right after heíd demolished Margarito. But sadly, he didnít. And that'll be the biggest criticism of his career.
Those guys are not ATG fighters though....excluding Mosley who was past his prime then, and was well past it when Floyd got to him. Cotto was a hype job. 2 paper straps. Best win is over Mosley...past his best(I don't even rate Floyd's win over old Mosley) Margarito....face first brawler. Clearly limited with no real technique or footwork. Paul Williams...best win is over Margarito at 147(I don't count the Sergio win, because I thought he lost)...Extremely limited with no defense..arm puncher. no technique. These guys are not Hearns,Duran, and Hagler. They were what Cruiserweight is now. A division of B/C level fighters who are all so close in talent that the division looks "stacked"
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #32
MexicanMuscle
Mexican Powerhouse
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

There is no way anyone can deny Floyd will always get that justified criticism for not fighting Mosley, Williams, Cotto, and Margarito in their prime. I don't think any of those guys could have beaten him, but he will continue to get criticism for not fighting them.

Once Floyd beats Pac though, this criticism will be overshadowed.
MexicanMuscle is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #33
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

Mosley was not in his prime when Floyd retired and had been called out by Floyd before. Mosley didn't fight him for good reason. Floyd was the better fighter, and not a big draw.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #34
jso416
F U Nutthuggers!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
Mosley was not in his prime when Floyd retired and had been called out by Floyd before. Mosley didn't fight him for good reason. Floyd was the better fighter, and not a big draw.
Floyd should have fought right after he KO'd a mentally flawed Margarito. Instead he waited over a year n still the only reason he fought him was cause it was the only fight he could sell to the public being that he wouldn't fight Pac. That was a bitch move. In the history of boxing Cotto, Williams n Margo will always be ranked ahead of Judah n Baldomir. I don't blame him for taking the De La Hoya payday but let's not act as if Oscar was in his prime.
jso416 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #35
MrSmall
Journeyman

Still thinks like the uneducated young boy that he still is despite being a millionaire and in his early 30s. He has maybe 60 years of life left, and maybe 5 more at most in the ring?
He could retire now, travel the world, see the world, educate himself, learn 10 different languages.
But no, aged 30 something, he says his whole life is about boxing and playing some sob story bullshit. Grow the **** up!
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #36
tbp82
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanMuscle View Post
There is no way anyone can deny Floyd will always get that justified criticism for not fighting Mosley, Williams, Cotto, and Margarito in their prime. I don't think any of those guys could have beaten him, but he will continue to get criticism for not fighting them.

Once Floyd beats Pac though, this criticism will be overshadowed.

MexicanMuscle that last line you posted is the problem that Mayweather was talking about in that interview. He didn't go to far but I agree with him. The man is 42-0 and 1 victory over Pacquioa of all people will make the criticism go away. Really? It is amazing to me how the media and fans have hyped up Pacquioa to the point that a victory by Mayweather over a Pacquioa who he should beat rather easily is the one to end the criticism.
tbp82 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #37
banny
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
Still thinks like the uneducated young boy that he still is despite being a millionaire and in his early 30s. He has maybe 60 years of life left, and maybe 5 more at most in the ring?
He could retire now, travel the world, see the world, educate himself, learn 10 different languages.
But no, aged 30 something, he says his whole life is about boxing and playing some sob story bullshit. Grow the **** up!
banny is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #38
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samski313 View Post
One day when you grow up you will look back on this time in your life and just shake your head. Its really sad to a man act the way you do.
doubt it.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #39
c4pacfan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

people will only remember him as "the greatest ducker of all time". sad but true.
c4pacfan is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #40
TheChamp83
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
Says the ghanian
Says the Sand Negga
TheChamp83 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #41
TheChamp83
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBA View Post
That's true on some counts. I mean I heard people talking recently about how Lewis "managed" to avoid Tyson until he was past it....history doesn't do any favors.

But I think that stuff Schaefer said he could expose about Arum could have a lot to do with that period and the fact that Floyd's never fought a TR fighter since he left.
This I've Been saying to Arum Defenders for the Last Couple of Days!!!

Arum didn't want to Make the Fight With Marg and Cotto..All because Floyd Left Top Rank!!!!!

That's the Undisputed FACTS!!!!!!
TheChamp83 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #42
MexicanMuscle
Mexican Powerhouse
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbp82 View Post
MexicanMuscle that last line you posted is the problem that Mayweather was talking about in that interview. He didn't go to far but I agree with him. The man is 42-0 and 1 victory over Pacquioa of all people will make the criticism go away. Really? It is amazing to me how the media and fans have hyped up Pacquioa to the point that a victory by Mayweather over a Pacquioa who he should beat rather easily is the one to end the criticism.
And I agree with you that it shouldn't be as decisive, but the fact is that it is a fight that has garnered so much attention, that it will be lead to extremes. The victor will get too much credit and the loser will take a lot of negative feedback.
MexicanMuscle is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #43
PrinceN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4pacfan View Post
people will only remember him as "the greatest ducker of all time". sad but true.
he aint duck or dodge no one. He will be remembered as on of the atg believe that
PrinceN is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #44
CoDer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceN View Post
he aint duck or dodge no one. He will be remembered as on of the atg believe that
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOSYzIKJFro"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOSYzIKJFro[/ame]
CoDer is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #45
PrinceN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDer View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
what was the point in posting that? we all know he didnt duck the c fighter and cheater the whole situation goes back to arum
PrinceN is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum