Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #1306
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Yeah I liked the way he fired uppercuts.

As for those fights, I'll have seem them already but not paid much note, seen pretty much everything there is to see of Duran and Benitez. Too much I'll take another look at them.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #1307
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Speaking of the Duran around that time period, how did you guys see the Thompson fight? I think Thompson's performance gets completely overblown. So Duran got a rib blown, he still dominated the fight in super-impressive fashion, the way I saw it. Some truly amazing offensive sequences for Duran in that one.

Cervantes did a job on Thompson as well, even though I'd heard differently prior to actually viewing it. Seems he gets the benefit of the doubt a lot.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #1308
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Asterisks in my post weren't going anywhere, typos.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #1309
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
Speaking of the Duran around that time period, how did you guys see the Thompson fight? I think Thompson's performance gets completely overblown. So Duran got a rib blown, he still dominated the fight in super-impressive fashion, the way I saw it. Some truly amazing offensive sequences for Duran in that one.

Cervantes did a job on Thompson as well, even though I'd heard differently prior to actually viewing it. Seems he gets the benefit of the doubt a lot.
I ain't seen the Cervantes fight. Thompson did alright against Duran I thought, but seeing as he was a high-ranked contender at Lightweight and Light Welter I'm guessing there was more to him than those fights anyway?

Viruet, De Jesus and Marcel are the only guys I really recall giving Duran much hassle until he entered the 'Fabulous Four' era.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #1310
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Of Kid Pambele I've seen: Locche (highlights); Furuyama; Frazer; DeJesus; Ortiz; Benitez; Pryor; and some Japanese guy (I think) whose name I'm shamefully forgetting.

What am I missing?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #1311
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Check out the Thompson fight at sosoboxing.com

Pretty good video site, even though the quality is never the best and there's something up with the list of fights. A lot of them have no links, so why the hell are they even up?!

It's a pretty shit site, come to think of it. Still, you can check out a good few fights that aren't up on the Tube there. The ****in' quality, though. I was trying to re-watch Gomez/Lopez I the other day (one of my favourite Gomez performances from his peak) and I just couldn't do it because the quality looked as though they'd taped it off a TV screen covered in dirt.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #1312
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

They're just ripping off a sweet format Soso winds me up for that reason, that and the fact all the videos start playing on the page when you open up one fighters videos

I'll have a look at sweet instead
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #1313
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

That site is always freezing up or going through maintenance. Plus, the main mod is kind of a tool.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #1314
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Only recently, I've never had any problems with them or megaupload before.

And yes, it is hard to reason with some of their mods on historical matters. That Violent Demise said something along the lines of 'if Chiquita can beat Chang easily then Lopez will stop him' which indicates he's neither seen that fight, or cannot analyse style differentials and fights, or is just incredibly biased.

I don't do too much posting there. The Toney-Charles thread was a farce.

Despite that, very helpful Boxing loving guys over there. I respect them, even if we don't see eye-to-eye in debates.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #1315
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
Check out the Thompson fight at sosoboxing.com
All they do over there is steal from SB
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #1316
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun711 View Post
All they do over there is steal from SB
Exactly my thoughts

Oh, and I'll be able to upload that fight for you, dunno how to use megaupload yet so hopefully YouTube will suffice. Will PM you when I get it done
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #1317
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Oh, and I'll be able to upload that fight for you, dunno how to use megaupload yet so hopefully YouTube will suffice. Will PM you when I get it done
Thank you, i appreciate it. youtube is fine.
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2011, 04:44 AM   #1318
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Regarding Thompson's fight with Duran, i dig his performance, but in the sense of how he stood in there physically far more than others and had Duran backing up for periods of the bout.No bullshit and ripped in some really viscious hooks to the body.

That said Duran showed more early hints of being an all-timer in it in the way he effectively adapted(his movement and sudden rushes were an early hint at the kind of stuff Chang would consistently use a decade later here)and no doubt soundly outworked and in the end outpunched Thompson.

If you were sort of expecting a relatively even, give and take kind of bout i can see where someone would be a bit let down.

It's been a long time since i watched the Cervantes fight.I remember it being a good competitive fight with Antonio up on points at the time it got stopped.

I like Thompson, though there's no doubt he was a very methodical, somewhat lethargic fighter.reminds me of Laporte a bit, i think he would need someone coming straight at him to excel.Someone who would throw enough to wake him up and be one-dimensional enough not to be out of reach when he fires back.
lora is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #1319
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Vasquez-Larios II. This is a real gem of a fight, even if it isn't quite as good as a near-hysterical Atlas ("FRAZIER-ALI. GATTI-WARD. THIS IS ANYTHING.") insists throughout the entertaining broadcast. It is though, one of the most entertaining workrate performances of that era, Larios was like a man possessed.

He knew (And it was proven) that Vasquez had a better jab, so in-spite of his advantage in length and height, and much to Atlas's near hysterical objection (he spent two rounds talking about how square Larios's feet were), he abandoned the battle of the jabs as unwinnable and went crazy for powerpunches, leading with the right, leading with uppercuts and leading with all kinds of bar-room punches as he starts to fade a bit after 4. He gets away with it because he is moving a lot, total commitment to his high energy plan, lots and lots of movement forcing Vasquez to move onto these mad punches, not allowing him to get set. Vasquez responded with his usual total regard for defence as he slipped behind, which is always sad to see from the point of view of his fans if not fight fans. It doesn't work for him however, as his then stamina issue starts to tell.

So Larios, not able to take Vasquez's jab away - Israel has success with it in the first five, losing all but one of them on my card - he just renders it useless as a round-winner by outlanding him with power-punches. Larios threw over a 1,000 blows in this fight and very few of them were straight lefts.

Cut on both eyes in the first half of the fight he just keeps moving until he can't and then goes into a part time shoot out where he's leading his man onto punches over and over again. By the time Vasquez has wised up a bit to the straight right, Larios is to tired to throw it for the most part so he is looping it, whilst adding uppercuts.

The first knockdown is really weird, the referee seems to be "cleaning" a wet spot on in the middle of the ring by rubbing it with his size tens before Vasquez proptly slips on it. Larios bores in behind him landing multiple flush shots as Vasquez slips to the ropes and becomes momentarily entangled. IN a future echo of his duels with Marquez he comes hurtling back off the ropes with hard punches and they clinch. As they are seperated, Vasquez points to the slippery spot on the floor and the referee says "I know". Larios meantime is winding up a right hand all the way from Cuba which he detonates right on Vasquez's chin just after Vasquez puts his eyes back on his opponent. Marquez somehow gets up but is stopped a few seconds later when he is put down again. All though about to rise at the count of five, Vasquez makes little objection when the ref waves it off and keeps his knee for about 20 seconds.

There was no way back for him at that point anyway.

Inspite of it's apparent one-sidedness in terms of the cards, it's still a great and thrilling fight, and lots of the rounds are close
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #1320
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Vasquez-Larios II. This is a real gem of a fight, even if it isn't quite as good as a near-hysterical Atlas ("FRAZIER-ALI. GATTI-WARD. THIS IS ANYTHING.") insists throughout the entertaining broadcast. It is though, one of the most entertaining workrate performances of that era, Larios was like a man possessed.

He knew (And it was proven) that Vasquez had a better jab, so in-spite of his advantage in length and height, and much to Atlas's near hysterical objection (he spent two rounds talking about how square Larios's feet were), he abandoned the battle of the jabs as unwinnable and went crazy for powerpunches, leading with the right, leading with uppercuts and leading with all kinds of bar-room punches as he starts to fade a bit after 4. He gets away with it because he is moving a lot, total commitment to his high energy plan, lots and lots of movement forcing Vasquez to move onto these mad punches, not allowing him to get set. Vasquez responded with his usual total regard for defence as he slipped behind, which is always sad to see from the point of view of his fans if not fight fans. It doesn't work for him however, as his then stamina issue starts to tell.

So Larios, not able to take Vasquez's jab away - Israel has success with it in the first five, losing all but one of them on my card - he just renders it useless as a round-winner by outlanding him with power-punches. Larios threw over a 1,000 blows in this fight and very few of them were straight lefts.

Cut on both eyes in the first half of the fight he just keeps moving until he can't and then goes into a part time shoot out where he's leading his man onto punches over and over again. By the time Vasquez has wised up a bit to the straight right, Larios is to tired to throw it for the most part so he is looping it, whilst adding uppercuts.

The first knockdown is really weird, the referee seems to be "cleaning" a wet spot on in the middle of the ring by rubbing it with his size tens before Vasquez proptly slips on it. Larios bores in behind him landing multiple flush shots as Vasquez slips to the ropes and becomes momentarily entangled. IN a future echo of his duels with Marquez he comes hurtling back off the ropes with hard punches and they clinch. As they are seperated, Vasquez points to the slippery spot on the floor and the referee says "I know". Larios meantime is winding up a right hand all the way from Cuba which he detonates right on Vasquez's chin just after Vasquez puts his eyes back on his opponent. Marquez somehow gets up but is stopped a few seconds later when he is put down again. All though about to rise at the count of five, Vasquez makes little objection when the ref waves it off and keeps his knee for about 20 seconds.

There was no way back for him at that point anyway.

Inspite of it's apparent one-sidedness in terms of the cards, it's still a great and thrilling fight, and lots of the rounds are close

My recent appreciation of Vasquez definitely included this fight in my study. As I mentioned at the time, that kind of loss can be very difficult to bounce back from. While competitive, Vasquez took a man-sized beating, and it was a deflating, comprehensive stoppage. That kind of thing never seemed to bother him that much, though.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum